2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, EVC2017, 3 invisible), 1,214 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hello,

My name is Roger Peltzman. 8 years ago I won a Mason and Hamlin BB in the famous Faust Harrison Pianos contest. Two years ago the NY Times did a great article about my mother and her family in war torn Belgium. She miraculously survived the war but, tragically, her brother Norbert, a supremely gifted concert pianist did not. Both Norbert and my grandparents perished in Auschwitz. Norbert at age 22. As a pianist myself, I have, over the years, felt a particular bond with my uncle who remains an inspiration for me. I have decided to honor his memory by recording a CD of works by Chopin at the Brussels Conservatory of Music where he played, according to all accounts, brilliantly. I am raising money for this worthwhile project on Kickstarter and I'd greatly appreciate your taking the time to explore the site. If you find this story/project compelling, please forward the Kickstarter page to friends and loved ones. 1/2 of all proceeds from CD will go to the impressive new Holocaust Museum in Belgium - Kazerne Dossin.

All the very best,
Roger

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...caust-rememberance-chopin-proje?ref=live

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Good wishes on this commemorative project, Roger. You might also post it on Pianist Corner and Piano Teacher forums.

Last edited by Peter K. Mose; 02/03/13 12:07 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I've watched the movie "The Pianist" a few times. It keeps my interest and I learn something new each time I watch it.

In case anyone has never heard of or seen the movie it is about the life and times of a young Jewish concert pianist and his family during the Nazi invasion and occupation of Poland during WWII.

I know it is just a movie, but I imagine most of the script, plot and scenes are historically accurate.

I too wish you all the best of luck with your project, Roger... a worthy cause.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Rickster
I've watched the movie "The Pianist" a few times. It keeps my interest and I learn something new each time I watch it.

In case anyone has never heard of or seen the movie it is about the life and times of a young Jewish concert pianist and his family during the Nazi invasion and occupation of Poland during WWII.

I know it is just a movie, but I imagine most of the script, plot and scenes are historically accurate.

I too wish you all the best of luck with your project, Roger... a worthy cause.

Rick

Rick, that movie is one of my favorites. I started playing piano after watching that movie. I guess I always wanted to play, but being Jewish and all, the movie pushed me over the edge somehow.

And no, it's NOT just a movie. It's based on Wladyslaw Szpilman's memoir, and it keeps to it extremely faithfully. Just about the only difference from the book is that in reality he played Nocturne in C sharp minor for the German officer, but the movie has him playing an abridged version of the first ballade (for added drama, I suppose).

I wish you luck with your project as well, Roger!

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
S
S
Maryla Jonas, my favorite mazurka interpreter.

The pianist Maryla Jonas (b. May 31, 1911, Warsaw, Poland - d. July 3, 1959, New York, New York),[1] pronounced Marie-la, was born in Warsaw, Poland, debuting her pianistic talent at the age of 9. In spite of Jonas's father's misgivings about a career in piano performance, Jonas studied with the Polish pianist Ignacy Jan Paderewski-a fellow pupil of Witold Małcużyński and Halina Czerny-Stefańska—and made her debut with the Warsaw Philharmonic in 1920.[2] Jonas's adult career started in 1926 with a tour of various European capitals starting in Germany. Jonas's touring career proved successful and paved the way for a 13th place finish in the second International Frédéric Chopin Piano Competition in 1932. Alexander Uninsky took first prize in the same competition. In 1933 Jonas won the Beethoven prize of Vienna and following her victory established a successful European-based performance career.[3]
Jonas's success in establishing herself as a European touring pianist was overshadowed in 1939 by the German invasion of Poland. Jonas refused the invitation of a Gestapo agent to move to Berlin and perform in a safer environment. As a result of her refusal to move to Berlin, Jonas was arrested and remained in custody for several weeks. A German officer who had once heard her perform in Germany took pity on her and had her released. The German officer advised Jonas to travel to Berlin and visit the Brazilian Embassy for aid. Jonas took the German officer's advice and traveled to Berlin on foot, walking several hundred miles short of food and without recourse to safe shelter. The distant walk to Berlin is likely to have seriously damaged Jonas's health and may have resulted in her untimely death at the age of 48.[4]
Jonas's connection with the Brazilian embassy in Berlin proved fortuitous for her. The embassy supplied Jonas with false records that made her out to be the wife of the Ambassador's son. Jonas traveled from Berlin to Lisbon and finally settled in the capital of Brazil, Rio de Janeiro. In the year 1940, while residing in Brazil, Jonas suffered a nervous breakdown and lived several months in sanatoriums. When it looked as though Jonas was on the mend, she received the painful news that one of her brothers had been killed. The news of her brother's death was followed by news that her husband and parents had also died. The painful losses Jonas experienced, resulting from the Nazi invasion of Poland, made the prospects of her future as a pianist appear unlikely. Jonas's sister and Artur Rubinstein, another famous Polish pianist, offered their support to Jonas and opened the possibility for her to return to performing and recording piano music. Jonas resumed her pianistic career in New York making her debut at Carnegie Hall in February, 1946.[5]

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zckYkWxDByk

PLEYEL P124

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission