Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 47 of 100 < 1 2 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 99 100 >
Topic Options
#1240519 - 07/30/09 06:47 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: HeirborneGroupie]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: HeirborneGroupie
Congrats Waltz!!! I knew you could do it.

Book 2 is going to feel empty without you. But I wish you well in book 3. I will be here for a long while yet. I'm only half way through.

I know I tend to post a lot and keep this thread on page one blush but I'll still post here even when I'm officially finished with 2. This thread has been my home base since I've been on pianoworld, I really like it. And thanks for the congrats !

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1240521 - 07/30/09 06:49 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Music_in_Me
Way to go Waltz! That's a big achievement no doubt! Ask me, I quit L2 some 6 or 7 years ago as I just hit a wall... However, I didn't have a teacher for L2, I did for L1. Now, I feel with this forum, I might be able to pull it off and finish L2 before end of year. But you are great for dong it all non stop. More power to you.

Thanks MIM! You will achieve it now, I believe, whenever you wish. You are obviously a talented player, and I will listen to all recordings you post avec plaisir smile

#1240525 - 07/30/09 06:53 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: TTigg]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TTigg
Originally Posted By: Waltz
O.K., I officially passed Canon in D this morning!

Congrats!! Well done, now get on over here to #3. Actually I've had a rough 2-3wks (work) so my initial start to #3 was stalled, not going as good as I'd like, will be nice to have some familiar faces around....
thumb

Thanks TTigg ! Yea, it seems like ages ago that you and Undone left for the book 3 thread. Sorry about work being tough right now, that is never fun and piano is very time consuming. There are a few things (such as recording CiD lol) that I feel I should do before moving over to your thread, but I probably will by this time next week. Nice hearing from you and thanks again.

Waltz

#1240570 - 07/30/09 08:34 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania

#1240626 - 07/30/09 10:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Very, very nicely played smile . Very controlled and a well done subtle increase in speed

#1240783 - 07/31/09 07:05 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
Undone Offline

Loc: USA, CT
Congratulations Waltz. See you in the book 3 thread (where you will soon find that the work required by Canon in D was just a warm up). smile

Undone

#1240874 - 07/31/09 10:56 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Undone]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Undone, I took a peek at L3 and I didn't like what I saw! Some pieces look deceptively simple by the few notes appearing on the page, but I know for sure they are not easy to play. I dabbled with Star Spangled Banner 4 years ago, and I thought it was a beautiful piece to play, but it was very hard getting left and right to cooperate on that. I also spent some time on Fur Elise and was only able to do about one page, and quit after seeing the left hand acrobatic stuff... laugh . But that's why we should learn these pieces..to get good at more advanced pieces. I think you are good, and I'm sure you'll pull it off in no time. I can't wait to get there though.

#1240978 - 07/31/09 01:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Undone]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Undone
Congratulations Waltz. See you in the book 3 thread (where you will soon find that the work required by Canon in D was just a warm up). smile

Undone

Thanks Undone, and I will certainly see you in the B.3 thread, where I will probably keep the thread on page one daily lol. It makes me shudder to think that Canon in D is going to soon become the common difficulty of the pieces I learn. It's really nice to hear from you again, and thanks for the warning smile

#1240982 - 07/31/09 01:46 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hey,

I was thinking of submitting Canon in D for the recital. I have a question though:

Does that mean I can't post it here first? Do I have to "keep it a secret" until August 15th? Seems like a long time to go without feedback, as I will have certainly moved on by that time. . .

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it, I don't really know all of the E-recital rules.

#1241014 - 07/31/09 02:29 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
nancy_w Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I recorded Canon in D this morning. It's a far from perfect recording; but I only enough time to try it a few times. I was proud of myself that I kept going and didn't jump back to repeat something I flubbed. (I was pretending it was a true recital).

Overall I'm fairly pleased as I got through it with only a few glaring mistakes and there are a some hesitations. Feedback welcome of course smile

I wanted to share it with Waltz especially. I have a hard time playing this song perfectly from end to end. It takes me about 3.5 minutes to play this song - even over multiple recordings! I was surprised it was so consistent.

http://www.box.net/shared/yrfdu5766v

I hope to get to a point where I can play it flawlessly.

#1241022 - 07/31/09 02:39 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: nancy_w]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wow, I actually enjoyed listening to this Nancy. Good job. I hope I can play anywhere near that when I get to it in a few months!

#1241040 - 07/31/09 03:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
Always Wanted to Play Piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Hey,

I was thinking of submitting Canon in D for the recital. I have a question though:

Does that mean I can't post it here first? Do I have to "keep it a secret" until August 15th? Seems like a long time to go without feedback, as I will have certainly moved on by that time. . .

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it, I don't really know all of the E-recital rules.

No it's all good. First of all, the percentage of people who visit this thread (compared against the whole mess of folks on the ABF forum) is pretty low. Let's face it, there are only 10 or so of us posting regularly on this thread, plus maybe a few lurkers. If numbers hold to form, there will be around 80 recital submissions. Heck, the number of people on the ABF forum this very instant is 94, so the vast majority of people who hear your recording on or after August 15 will do so for the first time.

Secondly, this sort of thing happens all the time. Heck, if I had an acceptable recording of my recital piece, I'd already have posted it on my blog, and asked for feedback. As it is, I'm going to need every bit of the next two weeks to get it together.

The recital is actually pretty laid back, I must say. I think the main no-no is to take someone else's recording and claim it as your own.

Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/

#1241092 - 07/31/09 04:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
nancy_w Offline

Wow, I actually enjoyed listening to this Nancy. Good job. I hope I can play anywhere near that when I get to it in a few months!

Thank you!

I think it's good for me to hear myself play and I can mark all the hesitation points to work on. Top of page 3 I had quite a few. I've been working on getting rid of a few (like right at the end of the song, before the last note - there's usually a hesitation there, and I have managed to mostly squash it).

-Nancy

#1241181 - 07/31/09 07:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: nancy_w]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: nancy_w
I recorded Canon in D this morning. It's a far from perfect recording; but I only enough time to try it a few times. I was proud of myself that I kept going and didn't jump back to repeat something I flubbed. (I was pretending it was a true recital).

Overall I'm fairly pleased as I got through it with only a few glaring mistakes and there are a some hesitations. Feedback welcome of course smile

I wanted to share it with Waltz especially. I have a hard time playing this song perfectly from end to end. It takes me about 3.5 minutes to play this song - even over multiple recordings! I was surprised it was so consistent.

http://www.box.net/shared/yrfdu5766v

I hope to get to a point where I can play it flawlessly.

Sounded great to me, and very similar to how I play it! I, personally, feel relieved that, since we both play it similarly, we both probably play it correctly. This is especially true at the ending, with the 16th notes thrown in, I was somewhat worried, but not anymore. I will try to make a recording soon, to share, but I would like to submit it for the recital also, so I hope I don't violate the rules in doing so. I guess I could make a second recording if I they forced me to.

Great job again! I wouldn't worry about the hesitations: they are slight and actually fit in nicely with this piece, and if there were other mistakes, they went without me noticing.

One major thing done exceptionally in your playing is control. The tempo is solid throughout and feels very much under your command.

Sincerely,

#1241182 - 07/31/09 07:06 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Always Wanted to Play Piano]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Always Wanted to Play Piano
Hey,

No it's all good. First of all, the percentage of people who visit this thread (compared against the whole mess of folks on the ABF forum) is pretty low. Let's face it, there are only 10 or so of us posting regularly on this thread, plus maybe a few lurkers. If numbers hold to form, there will be around 80 recital submissions. Heck, the number of people on the ABF forum this very instant is 94, so the vast majority of people who hear your recording on or after August 15 will do so for the first time.

Secondly, this sort of thing happens all the time. Heck, if I had an acceptable recording of my recital piece, I'd already have posted it on my blog, and asked for feedback. As it is, I'm going to need every bit of the next two weeks to get it together.

The recital is actually pretty laid back, I must say. I think the main no-no is to take someone else's recording and claim it as your own.

Thanks AWTPP, that's nice to know smile . I'll probably post the recording soon then. I may make a second recording for the recital regardless, maybe throw a twist in it or something lol.

#1241213 - 07/31/09 07:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
nancy_w Offline

Sounded great to me, and very similar to how I play it! I, personally, feel relieved that, since we both play it similarly, we both probably play it correctly. This is especially true at the ending, with the 16th notes thrown in, I was somewhat worried, but not anymore. I will try to make a recording soon, to share, but I would like to submit it for the recital also, so I hope I don't violate the rules in doing so. I guess I could make a second recording if I they forced me to.

Great job again! I wouldn't worry about the hesitations: they are slight and actually fit in nicely with this piece, and if there were other mistakes, they went without me noticing.

One major thing done exceptionally in your playing is control. The tempo is solid throughout and feels very much under your command.

Sincerely,

Thanks! I look forward to hearing your rendition of this piece. smile

#1241250 - 07/31/09 09:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: nancy_w]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

#1241264 - 07/31/09 09:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Great Job! That was a very pretty tune and I especially like the way you ended it.

That one isn't in my book. Are you using the Basic?

#1241379 - 08/01/09 04:07 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Waltz, I switched to the basic for this song only after I heard here played by Z32. It sounds much better on the piano with good pedalling, but when it goes out on MIDI, it sounds cheap!

Anyone has any tips for recording directly from the keyboard to the computer through the sound card? My understanding is that you get a cable with two plug inserts on one end that go into the L and R sound outlets in the back of the keyboard, and the other end goes directly on the sound card. Then, I'm supposed to find some software that will do the recording. Has anyone tried that?

To record from the piano directly, I have no idea!! I have a large mixer I can use with the microphone, but do I need that?

To do it on the piano with the camera, I have no idea either! I imagine that there is some kind of software, which takes video input from the camera and sound from a microphone, mix, and sync all within? Enough rambling...

#1241678 - 08/01/09 04:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

MIM,

As far as a camera goes, which is all I do, I don't use a microphone at all. I simply use my camera's audio and video to take the vids. Probably not the best quality, but it's easy lol

There are microphones that can be bought for specific cameras. They aren't cheap, and you have to make sure your camera has a mic jack for use.

#1241688 - 08/01/09 04:34 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

My first recording of Canon in D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uE7aBhzINk

I played faster with the camera recording; I didn't control the tempo well during recording and I knew it while playing. Also, there are some notes played poorly, which I don't like. But, I think it's an all right overall. However, I am going to make a second recording mid-way through next week, which will be my recital piece. I will certainly put much more effort in that recording, and I'll post it here, I guess, on August 15th.

Thanks,

#1241699 - 08/01/09 04:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
nancy_w Offline

I played faster with the camera recording; I didn't control the tempo well during recording and I knew it while playing. Also, there are some notes played poorly, which I don't like. But, I think it's an all right overall. However, I am going to make a second recording mid-way through next week, which will be my recital piece. I will certainly put much more effort in that recording, and I'll post it here, I guess, on August 15th.

Thanks,

Bravo!!!!!! You played that really well. I didn't notice any notes played poorly at all. Hardly any hesitation at all (unlike mine *grin*); and tempo wise, I'd say that at the end you were speeding up instead of slowing down as indicated in the music. Overall speed wise - as a comparision - I played it much slower (it took me 3.5 mins, it took you 2.5 mins); I'm not sure if I should speed up, or you should slow down, or maybe a bit of both?

Great job! You've surpassed me in this song - I guess I should go practice some more now smile

#1241762 - 08/01/09 07:31 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: nancy_w]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm not the person to judge this piece, but your hands slapping thighs finale tells a lot grin

#1241767 - 08/01/09 07:37 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: nancy_w]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: nancy_w

Thanks,

Bravo!!!!!! You played that really well. I didn't notice any notes played poorly at all. Hardly any hesitation at all (unlike mine *grin*); and tempo wise, I'd say that at the end you were speeding up instead of slowing down as indicated in the music. Overall speed wise - as a comparision - I played it much slower (it took me 3.5 mins, it took you 2.5 mins); I'm not sure if I should speed up, or you should slow down, or maybe a bit of both?

Great job! You've surpassed me in this song - I guess I should go practice some more now smile

Thanks Nancy, it made me feel really nice to read that post smile

I think either of out speeds could be correct. In that recording I am definitely playing on the quicker end of the spectrum, and I will try to slow it down a bit. I think your speed is fine too, and I like it more than I do mine, but it's more a matter of personal preference than necessity, because, again, I think we're both within an acceptable range of tempos for the piece. On youtube Canon in D performances on piano, you'll find similar variations in tempo. And come on, you know I have not surpassed you; you may hesitate here and there but you keep it under great control; yet I speed up at the end! The speeding at the end is probably nerves, you know, I really don't want to make a silly error and have to restart from the beginning (for that recording I really did not make that many attempts, thank goodness). Neither of us is "perfect", but we both do fine jobs at playing it, and we are both ready for book 3 I think.

Speaking of Book 3, I nearly gave myself the pass earlier today on the first piece. Relative to DB and CiD, it is rather easy, but entertaining to play.

Edited by Waltz (08/01/09 07:41 PM)

#1241768 - 08/01/09 07:40 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

whoops!

Edited by Waltz (08/01/09 07:40 PM)

#1241770 - 08/01/09 07:42 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm not the person to judge this piece, but your hands slapping thighs finale tells a lot grin

LOL, that is kind of silly of me cool

#1241925 - 08/02/09 06:28 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Hey,

Waltz - nice version of the "Canon in D" - please don't hesitate to submit it to the upcoming Recital - the only major Recital rule is that it must be a piece that you personally played and should involve the piano/keyboard to some extent - people have often "tried out" a piece in a thread (especially the Monthly Piano Bars) before submitting it to the Recital - I might be doing this myself - some have even re-submitted an "improved" piece that they submitted to the Recital before - many more people will hear it there and you'll get lots of positive feedback - and some critical feedback and suggestions (but only if you specifically request this) - see you in Book 3!

Regards, JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1242126 - 08/02/09 03:45 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: TrapperJohn]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: John Frank
Hey,

Waltz - nice version of the "Canon in D" - please don't hesitate to submit it to the upcoming Recital - the only major Recital rule is that it must be a piece that you personally played and should involve the piano/keyboard to some extent - people have often "tried out" a piece in a thread (especially the Monthly Piano Bars) before submitting it to the Recital - I might be doing this myself - some have even re-submitted an "improved" piece that they submitted to the Recital before - many more people will hear it there and you'll get lots of positive feedback - and some critical feedback and suggestions (but only if you specifically request this) - see you in Book 3!

Regards, JF

Thanks JF. I will be submitting this to the upcoming recital. I'm excited about it, my first one. I think I will rerecord this either tomorrow or Tuesday, and try to slow it down.

I actually passed the first Book 3 piece, Super Special Sorta Song (alliteration overkill) this morning and have started the Calypso Rhumba this morning. Neither seem too difficult, but I'm sure the heat will be on soon enough.

I'll see you in the Book 3 thread as soon as I have finished all my work with Canon in D, I'm still working hard on my ability to "control" the piece as I play it, and it's taking lots of my practice time. See you there soon smile

Thanks Ttigg for the youtube comment also!

#1242726 - 08/03/09 04:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Good to hear that Book 3 is not very intimidating thus far for you Waltz. That's encouraging for me.

#1242802 - 08/03/09 05:47 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Good to hear that Book 3 is not very intimidating thus far for you Waltz. That's encouraging for me.

I am actually spending a LARGE portion of my time on Canon in D still, and will be until probably Thursday, then I will shift my energy completely into Book 3. Hang in there Music in Me, and keep making recordings; it's a way to stay motivated and have something tangible while moving forward. On which piece are you now working?

Page 47 of 100 < 1 2 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 99 100 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
69 registered (a-z0-9, AndrewJCW, BB Player, ando, angga888, 17 invisible), 1275 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156147 Topics
2293080 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mendelssohn on meaning in music
by phantomFive
Today at 04:08 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 02:46 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 01:47 AM
Headphones Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear
by khopin
Today at 12:54 AM
How struts define pitch variation between tunings
by Bosendorff
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission