Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2024920 - 01/31/13 10:21 PM Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Recital #29 is now open for submissions!

Believe it or not, our 29th quarterly Piano World Adult Beginners Forum recital approaches! smile The recital will be posted some time on the 15th of February, which means that the submissions must be in by 9:00 pm Eastern Time, February 14. Please note this deadline is very firm; I cannot start working on the recital until it is closed, and once it is closed, no new entries can be added.

While any and all styles of music are welcome, we do ask that it be piano related. Only one recording may be submitted per forum member (although that recording may consist of a medley of two or more very short related pieces).

If you are fairly new to the piano, please do not be intimidated by some of the talent here in the ABF. We all consider ourselves to be beginners even though we may have been playing for some time. And, we LOVE to hear recordings from folks new to the keyboard. So even if you’re on your first Alfred’s method book, we would *really* enjoy hearing from you. heart

Recital submissions must be in MP3 format. The maximum size of the file is 20 MB. We recommend encoding the recording at 192 kbs with a constant bitrate, as that works best with the online streaming player. At that bitrate, a 20 MB file works out to be about 7 minutes in length. Your recording will be normalized when placed in the consolidated zip files, but your original link will still be available for those who want it.

If you are new to recording your music, there are several threads in the forum archives that address the ways and means. See the "Important Topics in the AB Forum" thread stickied at the top of the AB forum page. Audacity is an excellent free recording application that can be used.

Submitting Your Recording:

We will be using again the absolutely marvelous automatic web-based recital program that mahlzeit wrote for us. You will upload your mp3 file to the recital server as part of the recital submission process.

When you have your mp3 file ready, go to:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/

and follow the instructions there. Please note that this URL reflects our new permanent home for all the recital files. Once you have uploaded your info to the automated recital software, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. You will have the opportunity to revise your submission any time up until the deadline. If you have any problems at all using the new website, or if you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within a few hours, just PM me. If you have not participated in past recitals using this software, you may want to submit your recital piece at least a day in advance in case you run into any problems with it.

The recital website uses the following submission template to be filled out along with your attached music file. You may want to have your responses to these fields prepared in advance so all you have to do is cut and paste:

Performer's Name: {forum ID and real name if you’d like}
Where you are located: {optional}
Experience: {Yrs/Mos of piano playing experience}
Link to YouTube or other video: {optional}
Home page link: {optional}
Title of piece/composer:
Source of music: {sheet music, improvised score, play-by-ear, etc}
Instrument used: {Piano make, keyboard model, etc.}
Recording method: {audacity, Zoom, digital to PC, etc.}
Constructive technical feedback wanted: {Yes/No}
Additional Info: {Your thoughts on the piece, what you had for lunch, etc.}

The due date for all submissions is 9:00 pm US EASTERN TIME on February 14, 2013.

Did I mention that the 9:00 pm deadline was firm?

Think "consistency of concrete." smokin

By submitting a piece to the recital, you are certifying that it is a recording of your own performance.

Again, the recital order will be presented in the order the pieces were received, so the sooner you send in your piece, the higher you will be on the list! You can revise your entries on the template (e.g., thoughts about your piece, adding YouTube links, and the like) any time and not lose your place in the recital queue, but if you resubmit your recording at any time, for any reason, you will be bumped to the end of the list.

Should anyone have any questions at all on what to do or how to do it, this is the place to ask. Remember, there are NO stupid questions, as we have a steady flow of new members in AB forum for whom this is their first recital, so your questions will probably help to eliminate other members’ problems. Please ask away! smile

Let's all go out and brave that Red Dot and share a lot of beautiful music! thumb

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2024921 - 01/31/13 10:23 PM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Okay, I decided to go ahead and open up the recital tonight, because we've got an inch or two of snow falling with no sign of it stopping. And if there's going to be a snow day tomorrow, I'm sleeping in. smokin

Have at it, gang. thumb

#2024926 - 01/31/13 10:35 PM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Oh wow, Mr Super-Hunky, that put a lump in my throat, but I bet it's beautiful.

And three of my favorite piano players right off the bat! This is gonna be good.

Cathy

#2024962 - 02/01/13 12:02 AM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
DadAgain Offline

Loc: Brisbane, QLD
May have to sit this one out thanks to a turbulent few months and marital collapse frown

I can assure you that it is my intention to re-join the recitals, with daughter, once again just as soon as I have a Piano, a residence to keep it in and some significant time with daughter.

<this post makes me sad>
Vague Guitar & Bass player.... (former minor income stream 15 yrs ago)
Former conductor... (been a long time since I was set loose with a magic wand!)

#2024965 - 02/01/13 12:06 AM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
I'm in at No. 5 - the spot I had at my first ABF recital 3 years ago. smile

#2024969 - 02/01/13 12:09 AM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: DadAgain]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: DadAgain
<this post makes me sad>

Crap - that sucks, dude. frown

#2024975 - 02/01/13 12:14 AM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
neildradford Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hmm, I'd like to enter, but I don't think I can play anything worth entering.
I'd also have to figure out how best to record my acoustic, not tried that yet.
I take it the next one is in April?

Neil.
Started lessons: January 2012
YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/neildradford

#2024978 - 02/01/13 12:18 AM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: DadAgain]
neildradford Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
May have to sit this one out thanks to a turbulent few months and marital collapse frown

I can assure you that it is my intention to re-join the recitals, with daughter, once again just as soon as I have a Piano, a residence to keep it in and some significant time with daughter.

<this post makes me sad>

Ack, wishing you light at the end of tunnel.

Neil.
Started lessons: January 2012
YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/neildradford

#2025061 - 02/01/13 04:42 AM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
I'm in at number 9.

And DadAgain, this is sad... Keep the focus on what's the best for everyone.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2025062 - 02/01/13 04:48 AM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
I'm in at no. 10 - argh, what did I do? eek

#2025069 - 02/01/13 04:57 AM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: neildradford]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
DadAgain - I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through. May the future be brighter!

I am in at No. 12. Now I can get back to just practicing, instead of trying to get that perfect take! Glad that is over with... until the next time!

European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2025079 - 02/01/13 05:37 AM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

DadAgain .... that is very sad, I hope things improve for you very soon.

I'm in at 13 !

Mr. Super-Hunky - what a wonderful way to start the recital! I can't wait to hear your tribute!

#2025080 - 02/01/13 05:39 AM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: DadAgain]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

<this post makes me sad>

Sorry to hear that... Best wishes. Did you have to sell your grand?

#2025099 - 02/01/13 06:52 AM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Dad Again... I'm really sorry to hear your bad news. Stay strong! It all works out in the end.

SH obviously did not read my post on the other recital thread. By posting first he now must be flogged.

#2025102 - 02/01/13 06:59 AM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
WiseBuff Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
DadAgain
So sorry to hear of your losses and hope that healing can happen for all of you.

Maybe I'll get one recorded this weekend. I don't have any one particular piece that is ready since I've been studying several. Let me see what comes together to share with all of you.

Love to learn

#2025108 - 02/01/13 07:17 AM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I don't know how Monica knew, but she opened this up 5 minutes after I went up to go to bed. Sigh wink

Who cares about Valentine's Day? It's February 15th we are all waiting for now ...

Kawai K3

#2025188 - 02/01/13 10:12 AM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Sorry, Andy! whome

I'm in at 20, after a long and delicious morning of sleeping in until 9:30 after the promised snow day arrived. yippie

#2025351 - 02/01/13 02:40 PM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
I'm in - at #21 for now. 11 1/2 minutes of Schumann, with lots of little mistakes! Also at no extra charge - two loud cat meows.

Sam

#2025408 - 02/01/13 04:00 PM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Sam S]
slpianoproject Offline

Loc: Qc, Canada
Managed to record on time to be #8! Nocturne Op.27 no.1 for my first participation to the recital!!! There's already alot of good uploads i can't wait to listen to... *hyped*... See you on the 15th!

#2025649 - 02/01/13 11:22 PM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
I am sorry to hear that DadAgain. I look forward to hear you and your very talented daughter play at the next recital.

#2025738 - 02/02/13 05:06 AM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Sam S]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Sam S
I'm in - at #21 for now. 11 1/2 minutes of Schumann, with lots of little mistakes! Also at no extra charge - two loud cat meows.

Sam

Yes that's a long piece, and it sounds pretty hard. I'm looking forward hearing your version.

#2025812 - 02/02/13 10:14 AM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Does it have to be total piano? Cos if you go digital, other instruments sometimes muscle in . . . .

""

#2025843 - 02/02/13 11:03 AM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: peterws]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: peterws
Does it have to be total piano? Cos if you go digital, other instruments sometimes muscle in . . . .

You can add in other instrument, but the main instrument should be the piano.
There are several folks - often those with "jazz" in their names smile who have both real and virtual bands that they play with in the recitals.
It is quite fun to listen to the multi-instrument pieces.

#2025851 - 02/02/13 11:21 AM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: casinitaly]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Thank you Casinitaly!

""

#2025993 - 02/02/13 05:56 PM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: casinitaly]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Originally Posted By: casinitaly
There are several folks - often those with "jazz" in their names smile who have both real and virtual bands that they play with in the recitals.
It is quite fun to listen to the multi-instrument pieces.

Hmmm...I wonder who those could be? grin

BTW -- I expect to resubmit so practically everyone will move up!

#2026343 - 02/03/13 02:04 PM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
casinitaly Offline

We are already up to 33 entries! Wow, and still 11 days to go!

Looks like there are a few new comers to the e-cital too - and that is always exciting!

#2026425 - 02/03/13 05:21 PM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Everyone after #6 just moved up a slot! It never fails that after I record a piece, I can suddenly play it just a little bit better. I couldn't resist the temptation to re-record and submit this slightly improved version.

#2026431 - 02/03/13 05:27 PM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: casinitaly]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

If I`ve gone beyond the border wi my little orchestra, I`m happy to comply . . . .

""

#2026484 - 02/03/13 06:54 PM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: wouter79]
DadAgain Offline

Loc: Brisbane, QLD
Originally Posted By: wouter79
.... Did you have to sell your grand?

No - nothing sold, nothing really sorted out as yet - just I'm not longer living at home. Still pretty raw and difficult for everyone concerned.

Right now I'm visiting the house (and kids) 3 or 4 days a week when she's at work, so I do get 'access' to the piano and kids - but its not the same as having them there all the time!

Who know's what'll happen long term with any kind of settlement. I doubt she can afford to buy me out of the house, and I would struggle to buy her out - so we'll probably end up selling. Whether I can find somewhere to live long term so I can keep the piano remains to be seen. (Australia has 'no fault' divorce law - so settlement is likely to be close to 50/50 division of combined asset pool)

There's an outside chance I can put together a rough recording of something just in time for 14th - but it'll be tough, last minute, out of tune and under-prepared.
Vague Guitar & Bass player.... (former minor income stream 15 yrs ago)
Former conductor... (been a long time since I was set loose with a magic wand!)

#2026602 - 02/03/13 11:56 PM Re: Recital #29 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Oh, DadAgain, this sounds horrible. I'm so sorry for what you and your family are going through. I can't imagine that trying to record a piece for the recital is anything like a priority right now.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Midi keyboard full setup (Kawai VPC1 + .. ? )
by Rockstar
Today at 05:18 AM
knight piano returns?
by Jay
Today at 05:10 AM
Thinking of trading up to a baby grand...
by Anne H
Today at 03:22 AM
Piano Lock Key -> what is it used for ?
by angga888
Today at 12:02 AM
Yurmauer Piano
by PhilipInChina
Yesterday at 11:54 PM
Who's Online
70 registered (Andrs Lieber, ando, 36251, alberto, Abby Pianoman, angga888, 20 invisible), 1899 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76712 Members
42 Forums
158630 Topics
2329801 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission