2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,052 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by jawhitti
Somewhat off-topic - I bought a C6 a few months ago and one of the most popular questions I get is "what kind of piano is it? A baby grand? A full grand? A concert grand?" I'm never sure what to tell them - the people that ask generally are the ones that know nothing at all about pianos.

If my history is accurate, the term "Baby Grand" was first used to describe a 5' grand introduced by Weber in 1900.

Personally, I don't use the term but if I did I would apply it to pianos 5' (or shorter). What you have is a grand piano that is ___ feet/inches or ___ cm long.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Entheo I'm not really that surprised. I would speculate that the top reasons for a piano are a) lessons for little Brayden and Brianna (who will likely abandon them by the time they're 12) and b) because a piano [shaped thing] would look so lovely in this room. Not many people play, and even fewer care enough to buy a good instrument and even fewer of those can actually afford it. And the ones that ARE really good probably have access to university pianos, or concert hall pianos, or any number of pianos that keep them from needing a good instrument at home.

Or people who actually do play but live in 900 sq. ft. condominiums or 1400 sq. ft. houses with three bedrooms, two baths and Brayden and Brianna and who still would like a grand piano.

This cynical view of the performance of short pianos--which I fully shared 20 years ago--no longer holds. Several makers of very short pianos are working hard to improve them and that work is paying off in significantly improved musical performance.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I don't know dudes. A piano with nine feet???? If it didn't like the way you played very well, it would have 9 feet to run away with!!!! And quickly at that!!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Del
If my history is accurate, the term "Baby Grand" was first used to describe a 5' grand introduced by Weber in 1900.

Personally, I don't use the term but if I did I would apply it to pianos 5' (or shorter). What you have is a grand piano that is ___ feet/inches or ___ cm long.

Leaving Orchestra Hall in Chicago, having just heard a Brahms piano concerto, a woman next to me in the lobby exclaimed; "Wasn't that a beautiful baby grand?"

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT
I don't know dudes. A piano with nine feet????

Haven't you heard of the new Pediola? It's made by Footzioli.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
A
A
Good one, Marty!

Anne'sson
El Paso, TX
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, I have. It leaves foot prints in the sand and it's running way making its grand, 9 foot sprints.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
adak Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Del
Entheo I'm not really that surprised. I would speculate that the top reasons for a piano are a) lessons for little Brayden and Brianna (who will likely abandon them by the time they're 12) and b) because a piano [shaped thing] would look so lovely in this room. Not many people play, and even fewer care enough to buy a good instrument and even fewer of those can actually afford it. And the ones that ARE really good probably have access to university pianos, or concert hall pianos, or any number of pianos that keep them from needing a good instrument at home.

Or people who actually do play but live in 900 sq. ft. condominiums or 1400 sq. ft. houses with three bedrooms, two baths and Brayden and Brianna and who still would like a grand piano.

This cynical view of the performance of short pianos--which I fully shared 20 years ago--no longer holds. Several makers of very short pianos are working hard to improve them and that work is paying off in significantly improved musical performance.

ddf

does this mean that second hand baby grands at the moment are not viable option if you want a quality instrument? only buy new if you want a baby grand. but a new baby grand would cost about the same as a used non-baby grand.

Casio Privia PX-150

J
J
Del I didn't mean to imply that short pianos necessarily sound bad. I nearly bought a 5'8 Knabe and played an SK-1 that just blew me away. What I meant was that a lot of pianos appear to be bought as status symbols more that as instruments. Kind of like pool tables. I always wanted a pool table and was thrilled to find that the house I'm in now was willing to leave it. I played it for about a month and now it sits collecting dust. When I move I'll leave it for the next guy. I've seen houses for sale around me that seem to have the same thing going on with their pianos. If they are played at all it is by the player system installed on it...

There certainly are people that love to play, but I don't think they're the majority of the market. I am not a piano retailer though so I may just be projecting my own ignorance.

D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by adak
Originally Posted by Del

does this mean that second hand baby grands at the moment are not viable option if you want a quality instrument? only buy new if you want a baby grand. but a new baby grand would cost about the same as a used non-baby grand.

Well, as I say, 20 years ago I'd have whole-heartedly agreed. But within the past five years or so several piano makers have upgraded their small grand piano lines. None of these have the low bass performance of longer pianos but neither are they tubby, unmusical atrocities of the bad old days.

As far as used instruments are concerned, what you see (or hear) is what you get. Look and listen. Don't accept junk sound no matter the size or age of the piano. Listen for clarity in the low bass, musically transparent bass-tenor breaks, dynamic tenors and treble sections that are bright without being harsh.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Del I didn't mean to imply that short pianos necessarily sound bad. I nearly bought a 5'8 Knabe and played an SK-1 that just blew me away. What I meant was that a lot of pianos appear to be bought as status symbols more that as instruments. Kind of like pool tables. I always wanted a pool table and was thrilled to find that the house I'm in now was willing to leave it. I played it for about a month and now it sits collecting dust. When I move I'll leave it for the next guy. I've seen houses for sale around me that seem to have the same thing going on with their pianos. If they are played at all it is by the player system installed on it...

There certainly are people that love to play, but I don't think they're the majority of the market. I am not a piano retailer though so I may just be projecting my own ignorance.

I understand. It is interesting to work in the industry just now. Piano sound is actually improving even in the very short grands on the market. The rules of thumb we went by 20 years ago no longer hold.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Del

But within the past five years or so several piano makers have upgraded their small grand piano lines. None of these have the low bass performance of longer pianos but neither are they tubby, unmusical atrocities of the bad old days.

Are you able to give us examples of a few specific models?

I ask because I played recently on a couple of new models (late 2012) of around 5ft, and their bass was just as tubby and indeterminate in pitch, lacking almost any discernable fundamentals, as a 20-year-old baby grand I played elsewhere while on holiday recently.

If music be the food of love, play on!
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Check out the new Young Chang 4'11" that Del designed (and is too modest to mention out front). Not only does the bass have clarity, but the transition to the treble bridge is clean.

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
www.shusterpiano.com
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Friends:

On the subject of 9ft. pianos for use at home or studio, it never ceases to amaze me that there are a significant number of Ds in Manhattan apartments and town houses. Bs I could understand and/or expect - but Ds?

It's funny that virtually none that I've played/heard seem to be too much for their respective spaces, yet my own 194cm Petrof (kept completely closed) can sometimes be a bit uncomfortable at anything above mezzo-forte in our little, heavily carpeted flat.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I've been happily using mine in two successive homes since 1991. Great fun all day every day.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Cy Shuster, RPT
Check out the new Young Chang 4'11" that Del designed (and is too modest to mention out front). Not only does the bass have clarity, but the transition to the treble bridge is clean.

--Cy--

Has he designed a 9 ft? If he can do that well in 4-11, it would be interesting to hear what he could do with more room and a bigger budget.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
Originally Posted by Cy Shuster, RPT

--Cy--

Has he designed a 9 ft?

Yes.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Dear beethoven986:

Can you tell us what or which exactly is the 9ft. designed by Del. I would LOVE to try one. If it's anything like the Chas. Walter 6'4", it's sure to be superb.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission