Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2026461 - 02/03/13 06:23 PM Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-)
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Alicia Keys, before the Super Bowl.

Doing the Star Spangled Banner.
With plenty of rubato grin especially between the phrases.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2026496 - 02/03/13 07:22 PM Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) [Re: Mark_C]
Mark_C Offline

Good piano year for the Super Bowl. ha
One of the first commercials had an M&M playing a piano -- and I think it really was playing! grin

And they just had a Doritos commercial with this piece in the background:

#2026546 - 02/03/13 09:31 PM Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) [Re: Mark_C]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I think that was the slowest, saddest rendition of the star spangled banner I've ever heard. Not what I'd call inspirational!
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2026553 - 02/03/13 09:53 PM Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) [Re: Mark_C]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
Oh awesome. smile

Hockey night! Although I'm not the biggest fan. wink

#2026554 - 02/03/13 09:53 PM Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) [Re: Morodiene]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
I think that was the slowest, saddest rendition of the star spangled banner I've ever heard. Not what I'd call inspirational!

I liked it, although I would have liked to hear more rubato within the phrases too. ha

And actually, here's a famous old slower one, also at a sports event. I think it was the first prominent "individual" interpretation of the anthem.

#2026611 - 02/04/13 12:19 AM Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) [Re: Mark_C]
Numerian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

My favorite recording of the SSB. By Margaret Woodrow Wilson, daughter of the president and in her own right First Lady of the United States. She campaigned actively to have the Star Spangled Banner declared the official National Anthem of the United States.

In this 1915 recording she shows off by singing the word "free" in the reprise of the second verse both on the note, and then an octave higher. This has become the standard by which singers of the National Anthem are judged and has plagued vocalists for nearly 100 years now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umH1AojTb2A

Edited by Numerian (02/04/13 12:32 AM)

#2026650 - 02/04/13 02:22 AM Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) [Re: Numerian]
MathGuy Offline

Loc: California
My personal favorite, in a drastically different style: Marvin Gaye at the 1983 NBA All-Star game.

Speaking of singers at the Super Bowl, it was so moving to see and hear the chorus from Sandy Hook Elementary. Surely millions of us shared a tear in that moment.

#2026695 - 02/04/13 04:23 AM Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) [Re: Mark_C]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
I'm sorry, but that was a terrible anthem. I had to cringe a time or two, in fact. I am so often left wondering how some have made such a name for themselves while so much talent lie elsewhere unheard. Such a tragedy.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2026714 - 02/04/13 05:31 AM Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) [Re: Mark_C]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
I think we can forgive him those two notes that should have been held just a tad longer. smile

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2026724 - 02/04/13 06:55 AM Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) [Re: Mark_C]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
I've never particularly cared for Alicia Keys.

#2026743 - 02/04/13 08:15 AM Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) [Re: Mark_C]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
I like Alecia Keys.

#2026745 - 02/04/13 08:23 AM Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) [Re: Orange Soda King]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King

She's a shocker.

#2026791 - 02/04/13 09:34 AM Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) [Re: ando]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ando

She's a shocker.

Does that mean she's a looker? wink

#2028259 - 02/06/13 05:33 PM Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) [Re: Mark_C]
WhoDwaldi Offline

Nevermind.

#2028262 - 02/06/13 05:38 PM Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) [Re: Orange Soda King]
didyougethathing Offline
500 Post Club Member

Me either. Jennifer Hudson on the other hand... wow

On a related note, did anyone (that watched) notice the two pieces they blended together in one of the Coca-Cola commercials? They used the famous violin solo from Rimsky's Scheherezade, which led into the amazing part right before the ending of Saint-Saens' Bacchanale. Just thought it was neat, since I was obsessed with those two pieces as a kid.

#2028334 - 02/06/13 07:57 PM Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) [Re: WhoDwaldi]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: WhoDwaldi
Nevermind.

Nevermind what?

#2028433 - 02/06/13 11:25 PM Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) [Re: Mark_C]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Originally Posted By: Mark_C

I liked it, although I would have liked to hear more rubato within the phrases too. ha

And actually, here's a famous old slower one, also at a sports event. I think it was the first prominent "individual" interpretation of the anthem.

Amazing what can happen when a few people who are in a position to force the national discourse one way or the other, actually do so (as is so often the case...). I remember 1968. It means so much more to me, now. (The concept of 15 mins. of fame has its apex, does it not? Was this Jose's apex? Loved "Light my fire," BTW. Heard it on vinyl on a HiFi, back in the day... (when it first came out).)

Edited by Cinnamonbear (02/06/13 11:54 PM)

#2028442 - 02/06/13 11:38 PM Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear
Originally Posted By: Mark_C

Amazing what can happen when a few people who are in a position to force the national discourse one way or the other, actually do so (as is so often the case...). I remember 1968. It means so much more to me, now. (The concept of 15 mins. of fame has its apex, does it not? Was this Jose's apex? Loved "Light my fire," BTW. Heard it on vinyl on a HiFi, back in the day...)

I think this is also an outstanding example of, "It's not just 'modern' artists who change the National Anthem."

#2028444 - 02/06/13 11:44 PM Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) [Re: Mark_C]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Speaking of which, I really appreciated Lewis Black's observation here:

"I watch every Super Bowl because you see, um, I have no religion, and, uh, I think it's important for man to have a ritual, and the Super Bowl takes place on Sunday, and that's when most people gather to worship, so I, in a way, am trying... And, just before the game starts, I say, 'Thank God.'

"I really watch the Super Bowl for the half time show, because, you could go into a coma for a year, and wake up and watch the half time show, and it will tell you *ALL!* you need to know about how-- far-- down-- America-- is-- in-- the-- S.H*TTER!!!"

If you don't care whether or not you fall down the YouTube rabbit hole, then follow the links. It is a LONG mult-part rant. Very validating. Or, at least, very instructive.

http://youtu.be/1d8_4SnqA9k

Edited by Cinnamonbear (02/07/13 12:06 PM)
Edit Reason: tempered the profanity

#2028519 - 02/07/13 03:15 AM Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) [Re: Mark_C]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
... I deleted the contents of this post. I inadvertently responded to the wrong post.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
71 registered (aesop, AndrewJCW, 16 invisible), 1137 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75908 Members
42 Forums
156882 Topics
2305123 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What kind of fingering should I be using for these phrases?
by Jormungandr
08/23/14 03:04 AM
Mason & Hamlin BB Long distance purchase – a few questions
by bigun
08/23/14 02:26 AM
MY NEW PIANO
by Jvmvidela
08/23/14 02:14 AM
Here's a Paranoid Question:
by Paul678
08/23/14 01:19 AM
Are you must always make A4= 440?
by Maximillyan
08/23/14 12:55 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission