2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, 8 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
The Baldwin 9' from 1910 to somewhere in the 1920,s or 30,s
That era was Baldwin model D. I wonder where they thought of that?

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Dear Ed McM:

You are quite right, it was Andrei Svelichtny. I met him once and found him to be charming. He was totally submerged in his work and seemed to live through every aspect of the piano's action and tone. He gave the impression of being an absolute genius of piano tech. I've never heard or PLAYED an SD-10 with the sound and sensitivity of the instruments that he prepared.

I'm quite confused when people assert that SD-6 or SD-10 makes not difference and that it is the characteristic, family tone that is their bond. I'm afraid I don't hear it. I've played many SD-6s, and they have ALL had a strong family resemblance. Most of the SD-10s that I've played have reminded me strongly of Asian pianos of the second rank. BUT, I'm aware that they CAN be good with careful regulation, just not especially Baldwin-ish, at least to my poor old ears and feeble fingers.

I admire and appreciate your contributions to this forum, Ed, where ever and when ever I read them.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Mr. Watson,

Has the original question penetrated your closed mind? The OP has a lead on an SD-10. Do you feel it does any service to him to slam the instrument and basically tell him to go shop for an SD-6? If you think that an SD-10 is a lesser piano than "Asian pianos of the second rank," you are totally unequipped to make any judgement, whatsoever.

I don't know what your gripe is, but you sure are rude.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Mr. Watson,

Has the original question penetrated your closed mind? The OP has a lead on an SD-10. Do you feel it does any service to him to slam the instrument and basically tell him to go shop for an SD-6? If you think that an SD-10 is a lesser piano than "Asian pianos of the second rank," you are totally unequipped to make any judgement, whatsoever.

Except he hasn't been rude in the slightest. He simply gave his view of the two Baldwins. You disagree with it but another knowledgeable poster basically agreed with him. Your last post, however, is clearly and undeniably rude.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 02/04/13 10:15 AM.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Mr. Watson,

Except he hasn't been rude in the slightest. He simply gave his view of the two Baldwins. You disagree with it but another poster basically agreed with him. Your last post, however, is clearly and undeniably rude.

Yes, I intended it to be rude to Mr. Watson as he has been so dismissive of my opinion. Neither he, nor you, know of what I hear in any given instrument. Judge ye not.

Mr. Watson was rude in not considering the OP's reason for this thread and threw out opinions which provided no information for the OP.

This is not a thread about the merits of various Baldwin models. It is a thread about the potential purchase of a specific piano.

Marty in Minnesota

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
It's difficult to understand all this vitriol or to know how to reply to it. The vehemence and intensity expressed are quite beyond my ability to grasp. I suppose one should just slip away quietly and avoid posting one's opinion in future.

My father always maintained that a gentleman was one who did the gracious thing. If it is my responsibility to apologise for having given offense, I do so now, and sincerely.

This is such a wonderful forum, affording a unique opportunity to exchange information and to learn. I would not want to contribute to any confusion or fuzzy thinking.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Karl, I enjoyed your comments and hope the "rougher" hands on the computer keyboard who post here do not drive you away.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Hmmm.... So they're going to be asking around $20K when it's done. If they haven't started on it, perhaps ask what they'd want for it in as-is condition right now.

If you can buy it that way and have the work done on your nickel to your taste, that may be a more cost effective way of turning it into the piano you want. You may even have them do the work, but by being the owner rather than a potential customer, you'll get it done your way, and they don't have to front the capital investment in the work. Perhap a win-win.

Having a 9 ft myself (Knabe from 1929), I'd love to be able to say, just go for it, they're wonderful. But, of course, use common sense. If your independent tech OK's the deal and the price is right, then go for it, they're wonderful to have at home. I've never regretted having mine.

Last edited by JohnSprung; 02/04/13 03:25 AM.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Rudeness, perceived or not, does not excuse more rudeness. There is no excuse for anyone on here being rude to anyone else.

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
Yes, I intended it to be rude to Mr. Watson as he has been so dismissive of my opinion. Neither he, nor you, know of what I hear in any given instrument. Judge ye not.
He simply disagreed and was not at all dismissive. In fact, he was particularly nice in the way he expressed his disagreement. What "you hear" has nothing to do with what is an appropriate way to express your opinion about what you hear.

Mr. Watson was rude in not considering the OP's reason for this thread and threw out opinions which provided no information for the OP.

This is not a thread about the merits of various Baldwin models. It is a thread about the potential purchase of a specific piano.
Mr. Watson was not rude at all to anyone. The idea that any thread has to remain 100% focused on the exact questions in the opening post is very silly. The huge majority of threads at PW would be considered "rude" used that criteria. In this case, the mentioning of another related Baldwin model was actually very relevant and reasonable.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 02/04/13 12:04 PM.
H
Hunt Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I thank each and everyone for his/her opinion. I stirred up quite a lot of attention on this one. As I said in my original post everytime I have posted on this forum the feedback has been great. A favorite story of mine is the 1st time I posted on here several years back asking about an old upright that I found at an estate sale that had a beautiful case but, needed a lot of work. It was not even playable.

The responses were: put it on the curb, take it outside and put a match to it, and so on. It was classic but, I didn't buy it either. From that time I have had 3 grands (not 9 footers) ending with my current 7' Y/C which I really love.

The store that has this piano is the store I bought the Young Chang from. They are an excellent music store with an extensive rebuilding department. They do top notch work. They guaranteed the Y/C for 1 year and will guarantee the 9' for 2 years. My piano technician, who used to rebuild pianos for this same music store I called the other day and asked him to keep his nose in the middle of it. He no longer works as a technician there but,he contracts out for the store to do work at people's homes. Thus, how I found him. Plus he is a heck of a pianist. He has a group called the Tony Thomas Trio.

To what extent the work is that will be done to this piano that is yet to be seen.

I like the idea of buying it as is and having someone like my technician do the work to it.

On the sd6 or sd10 discussion I don't know yet which it is but, I will certainly find out.

So, it is not a done deal yet I just have to see how the stars line up. Thanks again for the feedback and anymore is always appreciated.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Hi Hunt,

If it was indeed built in the mid to late 60's, it would be an SD-10. Despite the nitpicking and naysayers, it is a very fine piano. (IMNSHO)

Let us know how you decide to proceed.

Marty in Minnesota

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Hmmm...pretty tough crowd! As I always tend to opine, evaluate each piano on its merits and act accordingly. I owned and rebuilt a 1912 D Baldwin. It was a wonderful instrument. I have played tons of SD6's, and most were marvelous. I have high hopes for a rebuild of an SD10 I presently own. I just find it too hard to dismiss out of hand any of the Baldwin 9 footers because of some perceived deficiencies or anomalies. My feeling is that if you can't get happy with an SD10, it's likely not the piano.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by John Pels
My feeling is that if you can't get happy with an SD10, it's likely not the piano.

thumb thumb thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
My feeling is that if you can't get happy with an SD10, it's likely not the piano.

I've played a lot of 9' pianos that I absolutely hated.... and it wasn't me. Certainly an SD-10 can be great, but they often need quite a bit of help to get there, especially if they've spent the last 50 years as a university piano.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Despite the nitpicking and naysayers, it is a very fine piano. (IMNSHO)

I don't think anyone here denies that the SD-10 has a lot of potential. The concerns that have been expressed relate to the fact that this is a 50 year old university piano of unknown condition and fuzzy details about work to be done on it for a final sale price of $20,000.... an amount that will almost certainly not be enough to cover everything the piano needs to reach its full potential (keep in mind the dealer probably had to pay somewhere between $5,000-$10,000 for it to begin with). Since the OP already has a piano that he loves, he absolutely should be nitpicking.... this is a huge commitment, one that will be difficult to get rid of if he falls victim to buyer's remorse.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beethoven986
keep in mind the dealer probably had to pay somewhere between $5,000-$10,000 for it to begin with
I'm pretty sure it would be sub-$5k. I have an unrestored but playable SD6, post-University, and I'll sell it today for $5k. The cost is almost completely in the work performed. The value is completely in the outcome.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
Originally Posted by beethoven986
keep in mind the dealer probably had to pay somewhere between $5,000-$10,000 for it to begin with
I'm pretty sure it would be sub-$5k. I have an unrestored but playable SD6, post-University, and I'll sell it today for $5k. The cost is almost completely in the work performed. The value is completely in the outcome.

You could very well be right. I was merely speculating. Since we don't know what condition it's in, I could see it just as easily be sub $5,000 as it could be $5,000-$10,000 though probably closer to $5,000. Either way, I think we agree that a $20,000 final price would probably not cover everything the piano needs to perform optimally.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J

"I've played a lot of 9' pianos that I absolutely hated.... and it wasn't me. Certainly an SD-10 can be great, but they often need quite a bit of help to get there, especially if they've spent the last 50 years as a university piano."

I've played lots of brand new 9 footers on the showroom floor that were junk. I have yet to play any Baldwin D, SD6 or SD10 that I felt that way about. I'm not so much worried about the piano being up to the task as I am the performer. The other part of being a university piano that gets no airplay is the fact that they CAN be better maintained than any of the other pianos in an institutional setting. I don't know how many different sets of hammers nor how many regulations I saw for stage pianos during my college years, but I DO know that none of the practice pianos got any.

Doom and gloom is all I ever hear at PW. It can be such a depressing place. Play the danged piano and go from there. Not everything needs to be restrung, not everything needs a bridge recapped. A new set of hammers properly shaped and installed and a decent regulation will go far towards making any instrument play and sound fabulous. Heck, my own piano needs hammers and a regulation and I still love playing it every day just for the ever loving glory of doing so. She's a cruel mistress that beckons every time I walk by.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
I've played lots of brand new 9 footers on the showroom floor that were junk. I have yet to play any Baldwin D, SD6 or SD10 that I felt that way about.

We have vastly different experiences, then (Baldwin in general). I've come across many of these Baldwins that sound like... harpsichords with a Mack truck feel. I think they can be great.... I chose an '80s SD-10 for my grad recitals over the house Steinway D, but they're often junk without divine intervention.

I'm not so much worried about the piano being up to the task as I am the performer.

That's fine. I worry about both, and more to the point, I don't think the piano should impede music making, and all to often, it does just that!

The other part of being a university piano that gets no airplay is the fact that they CAN be better maintained than any of the other pianos in an institutional setting. I don't know how many different sets of hammers nor how many regulations I saw for stage pianos during my college years, but I DO know that none of the practice pianos got any.

Universities vary widely with their piano policies. One of my alma maters had six Steinway Ds (four performance and two rehearsal) and all but one of them was probably used 10 hours a day and rather poor climate control. My second alma mater was almost tyrannical with hall use and good humidity control, and those pianos were indeed in great condition. Depending on how much work is done to this piano, it may not matter, but we can only speculate, so it is prudent to be cautious.

Doom and gloom is all I ever hear at PW. It can be such a depressing place. Play the danged piano and go from there. Not everything needs to be restrung, not everything needs a bridge recapped. A new set of hammers properly shaped and installed and a decent regulation will go far towards making any instrument play and sound fabulous.

Well, of course. Sometimes, it's the simplest things that make all the difference. Back in December, my new SF-10 client wanted me to do something to make the piano easier to play. I polished and lubricated the pins/capstans, sized the key bushings, and Teflon coated the knuckles. No fancy Stanwood TD.... just basic prep. The client was floored with the difference.

Heck, my own piano needs hammers and a regulation and I still love playing it every day just for the ever loving glory of doing so. She's a cruel mistress that beckons every time I walk by.

I'm glad you like yours. I need to call my tuner to come do some stuff to mine... oh, wait wink

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission