Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2025560 - 02/01/13 07:59 PM duets for primer + elementary level
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Anybody have experience with students playing duets at this level?

(one student is in Piano Adventures Primer and one is in level 2A).

The FJH In Recital early elementary book is too hard for the 2 kids I am working with. Any other book suggestions?
Thanks.

this would be for a recital in April, plenty of time to prepare.

Edited by Barb860 (02/01/13 07:59 PM)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2025819 - 02/02/13 10:23 AM Re: duets for primer + elementary level [Re: Barb860]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
8 Duets for Beginners by Jessie Blake
Chester's piano duets written and arranged by Carol Barratt

However, before I found these I was so disappointed by the lack of duets for beginners, I wrote my own. I still prefer my own!

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2026678 - 02/04/13 03:30 AM Re: duets for primer + elementary level [Re: Barb860]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
I think duets are difficult at this level. It's hard enough for one kid to keep a steady rhythm. Most of the duets at this level are teacher-student duets.

#2026681 - 02/04/13 03:38 AM Re: duets for primer + elementary level [Re: AZNpiano]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
I think duets are difficult at this level. It's hard enough for one kid to keep a steady rhythm. Most of the duets at this level are teacher-student duets.
I think I agree with that.

Unless you try duets with a total of 2 hands: One for each pianist! wink silly as it may seem, perhaps it can be of aid in specific situations, and this also means that ANY piano piece will do... laugh

#2026780 - 02/04/13 09:23 AM Re: duets for primer + elementary level [Re: AZNpiano]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland

It is hard, but nevertheless important, to keep a steady beat at beginner level. Which is why I wrote my own, to make the parts easy enough that they would manage. They are student-student duets, so they get to swap parts.

Yes, it is, as Nikolas suggests, giving each player one hand, if it works...

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2026857 - 02/04/13 11:55 AM Re: duets for primer + elementary level [Re: Barb860]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
This is my favorite for very young students:

Grand Duet

I agree with everyone else that it is hard to keep the rhythm steady at this young level, but, using fun duet would be one motivator to encourage young pianist to keep their beat to play with peers! I had so much fun last year by using this book and create three teams out from my very young students. They realize that they have to count or otherwise it is not fun, ha!

Edited by ezpiano.org (02/04/13 11:58 AM)
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#2026985 - 02/04/13 03:53 PM Re: duets for primer + elementary level [Re: AZNpiano]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes, indeed. Mom of 2 young sibling students wants them to play a duet for recital end of April. I explained it probably won't happen but thought I'd ask around here anyway, in case some of you have kids who have done this.
I've had good luck with FJH's In Recital duet series, but even the easiest book may be too difficult for these 2 kids. I may try to write something out.

#2026988 - 02/04/13 03:57 PM Re: duets for primer + elementary level [Re: Barb860]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Barb... How beginners are the siblings? Could you (privately if not possible in public) send me a screenshot/pdf/something to see the level we're talking about?

Reason I'm asking is because I don't have access to the books you mention and as such I'm not able to readily tell the exact level of your students... that's why...

Edited by Nikolas (02/04/13 03:58 PM)

#2027024 - 02/04/13 05:09 PM Re: duets for primer + elementary level [Re: Barb860]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
There's a duet book by Lynn Freeman Olson called First Favorite Duets. Quite simple. Also Kaleidoscope Duets 1 by Jon George, Two at One Piano also by George.

#2027164 - 02/04/13 10:43 PM Re: duets for primer + elementary level [Re: Minniemay]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minniemay
There's a duet book by Lynn Freeman Olson called First Favorite Duets. Quite simple. Also Kaleidoscope Duets 1 by Jon George, Two at One Piano also by George.

Thank you! I will take a look at both.

#2027515 - 02/05/13 03:08 PM Re: duets for primer + elementary level [Re: Barb860]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Ok, Barb (and everyone).

After this thread, I got a PM from Barb explaining a bit more about the level of the two siblings... And thought I'd give it a try. And ended up with three different short duets...

Since this is for beginners the score is in portrait format, and the piano parts are the one on top of the other. It's easier to read for young kids, I think.

The titles are humorous, and so are the tempo markings, as you'll notice. They are supposed to be fun to fiddle with and not much else...

So... enjoy...

http://www.musica-ferrum.com/documents/duets%20for%20barbara.pdf

#2027519 - 02/05/13 03:14 PM Re: duets for primer + elementary level [Re: Nikolas]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

WOW!!!!! These duets are PERFECT!!!! My students are going to have fun with these. We can sight-read them at our group lesson this weekend, too.

Thank you so much, Nikolas!!!

#2027548 - 02/05/13 04:22 PM Re: duets for primer + elementary level [Re: Barb860]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Barb,

Very glad you liked them.

I hope you'll let us know how the sight reading went with these... I think they're easy enough, but there are a tiny few surprises in there somewhere...

#2027732 - 02/05/13 09:46 PM Re: duets for primer + elementary level [Re: Nikolas]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Nikolas, a student and I enjoyed your duets today! I had some extra time and so did the student, so we did some sight-reading. Our favorite of the 3 was "March on the April Recital" but they are all good and fun. We were chuckling together, and this particular student is normally pretty reserved...
Thanks again!

Oh I should add that this student LOVES "Cheap Ripoff", your solo. It's one of his favorites.

Edited by Barb860 (02/05/13 09:47 PM)

#2027937 - 02/06/13 08:00 AM Re: duets for primer + elementary level [Re: Barb860]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Nikolas, thanks for sharing your duets and wonderful sense of humor. This is going to be a lot of fun. smile

#2028234 - 02/06/13 04:47 PM Re: duets for primer + elementary level [Re: Barb860]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Barb: Woot! laugh I'm so happy that my work is being appreciated it! smile

Ann: Much obliged! I just hope my humour is getting across, cause sometimes I'm not too sure...

#2028301 - 02/06/13 06:48 PM Re: duets for primer + elementary level [Re: Barb860]
Ben Crosland Offline

Loc: Worcester, UK
Thanks for these, Nikolas! I tried the first two with a student today who has just passed her Grade 1. Perfect sight-reading fun for the end of the lesson - "The Lion and a random mouse" went down particularly well! grin

Cool Beans!

Easy Christmas Jazz

YouTube channel

#2028346 - 02/06/13 08:22 PM Re: duets for primer + elementary level [Re: Nikolas]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
Barb: Woot! laugh I'm so happy that my work is being appreciated it! smile

Ann: Much obliged! I just hope my humour is getting across, cause sometimes I'm not too sure...

My student yesterday got a kick out of the title "March on the April Recital".
He kept repeating it and laughing. Humor is good!

#2029948 - 02/09/13 03:39 PM Re: duets for primer + elementary level [Re: Nikolas]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
Barb,

Very glad you liked them.

I hope you'll let us know how the sight reading went with these... I think they're easy enough, but there are a tiny few surprises in there somewhere...

We enjoyed your duets today at group lessons! Younger students and older students all had fun with them. One student changed the ending to the Lion and Random Mouse by having the primo person play a small glissando in the upper register (mouse gets away!). So then, every student wanted a turn at playing that duet, to decide whether the mouse gets away or not grin

#2029960 - 02/09/13 03:56 PM Re: duets for primer + elementary level [Re: Barb860]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

haha!

Excellent ideas!

My own young students are having fun with the duets... Problem is that especially the male students love the 'lion and a random mouse' and laugh when they realise that the mouse doesn't get away.

My fun stuff is that if they miss playing the cluster at the correct time, the mouse gets away... laugh

I think I should make more of these! laugh In the coming week though, not over the weekend...

#2030071 - 02/09/13 08:33 PM Re: duets for primer + elementary level [Re: Barb860]
chasingrainbows Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
Nikolas, thanks! I'm also looking for duets for my sibling students. They will love these.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Stay safe, Ottawa
by jehalliday
10/22/14 03:51 PM
Which Books did Chopin Study?
by Batuhan
10/22/14 03:12 PM
Study Group - Mozart Sonata n13 KV 333
by Doritos Flavoured
10/22/14 02:40 PM
Broken Wrist
by sonataplayer
10/22/14 02:26 PM
Music notation software on iPad
by Nordomus
10/22/14 01:38 PM
Who's Online
155 registered (accordeur, ajames, anamnesis, ando, 40 invisible), 1672 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76619 Members
42 Forums
158422 Topics
2326488 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission