Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2026691 - 02/04/13 04:17 AM A question on virtual pianos (Bösendorfer related)
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi everyone - the upcoming Kawai VPC1 makes me wonder if I should finally delve into piano software. A little background: So far I've enjoyed having a stage piano for traveling, the odd performance, and night practice, and as some of you know, for the time being I find great satisfaction in my little Nord Electro 3HP for this purpose. However the action is not exactly close to the real thing and therefore I'll most probably add the VPC1 as a basis for night practice at home. And if it is around, why not try a virtual piano with it as well. Therefore, here is my question:

Of all the piano sounds in the Nord sound library I keep coming back to the Bösendorfer Imperial Grand (and in real grands a large Bösendorfer and/or Shigeru Kawai would probably be my ideal soundwise as well). Which of of the virtual piano libraries has the best Bösendorfer, or something close to that - what do you think? Think of a smooth singing treble, warm midrange, and growling to thundering bass, without sharpness in the tone... If you can compare to the Nord Imperial Grand, please feel free to comment as well! PS: My laptop is an Apple MacBook Pro.

Thanks,
m

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2026783 - 02/04/13 09:24 AM Re: A question on virtual pianos (Bösendorfer related) [Re: maurus]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Usually when people compare Bosendorfers, the Galaxy Bosendorfer is the one with the standout praise.

I personally didn't care for it, but I haven't liked any Bosendorfer digital sound yet.

#2026823 - 02/04/13 10:37 AM Re: A question on virtual pianos (Bösendorfer related) [Re: maurus]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
I regularly use (and like) the Galaxy Vienna Grand.

#2026824 - 02/04/13 10:42 AM Re: A question on virtual pianos (Bösendorfer related) [Re: maurus]
mitzysman Offline

i have the Galaxy Vienna too - didn't like it at first but it really grew on me after I played with the tone. It has a ton of dynamics to it.

#2026837 - 02/04/13 11:16 AM Re: A question on virtual pianos (Bösendorfer related) [Re: maurus]
Bane Offline

Loc: USA
I agree with gvfarns. Bosendorfer pianos are nothing compared to Steinways IMO in the virtual world. If I'm gonna load up any piano it's gonna be a Steinway D for tone and nuance or a Yamaha for bite. Some people have an appreciation for the Bosendorfer's tone. Hey, whatever floats your boat. wink

Cable-Nelson upright piano, Casio WK-200, Mackie MR5MK2 monitors, Cubase Artist 7, Steinberg's The Grand 3, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 interface, Asus R500a-RS52 Windows 8, i5-3230M 2.6 gHz, 6GB RAM, 750GB HD (5400RPM)

#2026976 - 02/04/13 03:21 PM Re: A question on virtual pianos (Bösendorfer related) [Re: maurus]
Marco M Offline

Loc: Europe
I once found a web page or video where they compared about 20 different software pianos. Listening to all of them the "East West Bösendorfer 290" to me sounded impressive. It was actually one out of 3 final candidates, which I had on my personal list for summarizing what I heard. But I am really not very experienced in piano sounds by now. Take it only as an idea for what to also look out for. Here on the forum I always read only about the same few names, and "East West" is not in it. Don´t know if it actually is bad, or just not very well known. Maybe the ones who like it are more active on the piano than in the forum and we therefore never here their comments. There are also software pianos offered from big players like Cubase and alike, but I again seldom here somebody speaking about them. According to the price it is asked for, they have to be excellent. Maybe because of their high price it is not much spoken about them?

#2026983 - 02/04/13 03:44 PM Re: A question on virtual pianos (Bösendorfer related) [Re: maurus]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
East west is a decent-sized player in the VST market and does come up from time to time. There are some other forums in which it is talked about more.

The problem is that we get far, far more people here talking about how much it sucks than how much they like it. That's not true for any other VST that comes up here (as far as I have noticed). Since its reputation among people who are mastering and mixing music is much better than it is among pianists, my guess is that it has decent sound but fairly serious playability issues.

#2027052 - 02/04/13 06:09 PM Re: A question on virtual pianos (Bösendorfer related) [Re: gvfarns]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: gvfarns
East west is a decent-sized player in the VST market ... Since its reputation among people who are mastering and mixing music is much better than it is among pianists, my guess is that it has decent sound but fairly serious playability issues.

As someone that owns the EWQL pianos, I would recommend the Ivory II or Galaxy Bose. As a fellow Mac user (the OP is a Mac user) I would never recommend anything from East West.

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

#2027289 - 02/05/13 06:03 AM Re: A question on virtual pianos (Bösendorfer related) [Re: maurus]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks guys. I'll look into the software suggested.

#2027498 - 02/05/13 02:32 PM Re: A question on virtual pianos (Bösendorfer related) [Re: maurus]
mitzysman Offline

here is a guy that used the galaxy vienna - it will give you a good idea of what it sounds like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8ohdhWpvrk

#2029979 - 02/09/13 04:39 PM Re: A question on virtual pianos (Bösendorfer related) [Re: MacMacMac]
Temperament Offline

Loc: Hun,EU
Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
I regularly use (and like) the Galaxy Vienna Grand.

Me too. It was the first piano sound on PurgatoryCreek which truely impressed me. I play a lot Bach with this Galaxy Bösendorfer, it has a very detailed clear sound even if the middle octaves are not the "key competence" of this instruments (the legendary bass compartment is of relevance since Beethoven only).

Since than the SW (Kontakt scripting) has been actualised - it is now on the same (high) level as their VintageD.

Edited by Temperament (02/09/13 05:14 PM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
129 registered (a-z0-9, accordeur, 36251, 42 invisible), 1572 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75579 Members
42 Forums
156270 Topics
2294989 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need progression lesson
by Maarkr
42 minutes 2 seconds ago
What's "Hrode-lgiaque"?
by Goomer Piles
Today at 09:01 PM
Opinions on Roland F130R
by Laerai
Today at 08:00 PM
M-Audio Oxygen 88 vs. StudioLogic Numa Compact
by snapdragon
Today at 07:02 PM
Sheet Music Retainers
by MargaretUK
Today at 05:20 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission