Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2026028 - 02/02/13 08:22 PM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: JoelW]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: JoelW
I don't get it... why is the musicality of Chopin's etudes being questioned?

They are NOT being questioned. You are welcome to ignore anyone who feels differently, they do not know what they are talking about. I could just as easily listen to the Opus 10 etudes as well as I could the Opus 28 preludes.

I do not understand the nonsense here.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2026052 - 02/02/13 09:22 PM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: pianoloverus]
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
I think a big difference between the Chopin Etudes and the ones by Liszt or Rachmaninov is that the Chopin Etudes are mostly much shorter.

Thus one cannot really expect them to be as musically developed as a longer work. But, for me, that doesn't make the huge majority of them less significant than the etudes of Rachmaninov or Liszt anymore than one would say the mostly very short Chopin Prelude(quite a few of which could pass as etudes) are minor works.

You know, I was going to give a counterexample, but I realized my counterexample runs 3 minutes -_-
(Rachmaninoff Moment Musical no.4 (op.16))

I guess on top of that, Rachmaninoff/Liszt etudes are much less focused.

#2026059 - 02/02/13 09:39 PM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: argerichfan]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: argerichfan

They are NOT being questioned. You are welcome to ignore anyone who feels differently, they do not know what they are talking about. I could just as easily listen to the Opus 10 etudes as well as I could the Opus 28 preludes.

Being arrogant and dismissive is rarely a good way to convince anyone of anything.

I happen to agree that the Chopin Etudes are very good music, but we've already had a few including a conservatory student who feel differently so their musical worth has clearly been questioned and by some sophisticated pianists. These are their opinions.

#2026063 - 02/02/13 09:46 PM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: pianoloverus]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA

Being arrogant and dismissive is rarely a good way to convince anyone of anything.

I happen to agree that the Chopin Etudes are very good music, but we've already had a few including a conservatory student who feel differently so their musical worth has clearly been questioned and by some sophisticated pianists. These are their opinions.

Probably only because of their titles... it might create some sort of prejudice. Now, obviously the op. 10 etudes are fairly early works by the young Chopin and are obviously lacking the mature complexity of his later compositions, but they're still marvelous gems -- rivaling his other compositions of the same time period. The op. 25, however, is an absolutely extraordinary collection of music and I don't see how anyone could question these colorful pieces' musicality. If they weren't entitled 'etudes' I'd bet people with such criticisms would think differently.

#2026093 - 02/02/13 11:21 PM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: JoelW]
Mark_C Online   content

Loc: New York
I don't get it... why is the musicality of Chopin's etudes being questioned? They're all lovely little gems of music! (especially op. 25)

I couldn't disagree more!
It should have been "especially Op. 10." grin

#2026098 - 02/02/13 11:30 PM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: pianoloverus]
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks.

If I'm allowed to bring argumentum ad verecundiam into this, may I add that I believe most teachers (people with doctorates from prestigious conservatories) would agree with the "Chopin etudes do not stand very well as just music" camp.

Might I add that I agree that some of the etudes are good music that I enjoy listening to, but I like them for a similar reason to why I like some of Alkan's even more simplistic etudes; They are charming, but they don't move me the way the 4th Ballade does. If I didn't like how they sounded, I wouldn't have worked on op.10 no.4 for 1 year, or op.25 no.6 for 5 hours a day for a full month, but I don't really want to go to a concert and listen to someone play them either (hence, I did not pay 40 dollars to go see Lang Lang play a bunch of Chopin etudes last year).

Edited by trigalg693 (02/02/13 11:34 PM)

#2026100 - 02/02/13 11:33 PM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: Mark_C]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
I don't get it... why is the musicality of Chopin's etudes being questioned? They're all lovely little gems of music! (especially op. 25)

I couldn't disagree more!
It should have been "especially Op. 10." grin

You like op. 10 more?

#2026104 - 02/02/13 11:47 PM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: JoelW]
Mark_C Online   content

You like op. 10 more?

Yes, quite a bit.
But look -- I love them both.

Food for thought: Is it possible really to love two etude opuses at the same time? ha
(Or, if you prefer, etude opera.) grin

#2026105 - 02/02/13 11:50 PM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: Mark_C]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

You like op. 10 more?

Yes, quite a bit.
But look -- I love them both.

Food for thought: Is it possible really to love two etude opuses at the same time? ha
(Or, if you prefer, etude opera.) grin

I guess I just see op. 25 as being so much more colorful.

#2026128 - 02/03/13 12:57 AM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: JoelW]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
IMO it's impossible to talk about musical worth objectively, there's always the element of personal taste involved. So I cannot be offended or even surprised that some of you think the etudes don't have much musical worth.

Anyway, I listen to the etudes in two ways: The whole cycle, which almost kind of melts into one larger work, a display of varied musical ideas and techniques. Then I may listen to individual ones. Not all of them are very interesting to me individually, so I would agree that their individual musical worth varies a lot. Have to admit I don't care for the revolutionary that much, but I never seem to get tired of hearing a good rendition of 10-2, maybe not so much because of deep musical worth, but the genious addictiveness of it grin

I think my enjoyment is actually increased because they are short. I often prefer shorter works of music. Maybe partly because I am very easily bored. I't so much better having to wish something lasted longer than wishing it ended already grin

I am not a fan of either Liszt or Rach, but I enjoy some of their compositions. I don't like everything written by old Fred either. I judge every piece of music individually, but some styles and forms appeal to me more than others.

Edited by outo (02/03/13 01:13 AM)

#2026140 - 02/03/13 01:47 AM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: outo]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: outo
....Have to admit I don't care for the revolutionary that much....

I think there's a high chance that's totally because of its familiarity. It's a remarkable and striking piece of music -- musically.

As per what you said, of course that's subjective and personal. But I'm telling you. grin
In view of what your tastes and preferences seem to be, it's hard for me to imagine it wouldn't be that way for you.

The remarkableness of the music depends on an excellent performance, including good attention to dynamics -- which, as has been said, doesn't always happen, even in performances by top professionals.

#2026142 - 02/03/13 01:54 AM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: Thrill Science]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Back to the nature of cheating in etudes, I'm currently cheating the last bit of Liszt's "Un Sospiro". The right hand arpeggios are a bit ridiculous near the end, and I just cross over with my left hand...because hand crossing is one of the technical elements of this piece, and with only a week to learn it before performing it, putting in the extra practice isn't worth it.
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2026144 - 02/03/13 01:55 AM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: Thrill Science]
Thrill Science Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I don't know how anyone could not like the Revolutionary!

I even like it on the Organ! (With the LH on the pedal!)

Edited by Thrill Science (02/03/13 01:56 AM)

#2026176 - 02/03/13 04:29 AM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: Kuanpiano]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano
Back to the nature of cheating in etudes, I'm currently cheating the last bit of Liszt's "Un Sospiro". The right hand arpeggios are a bit ridiculous near the end, and I just cross over with my left hand...because hand crossing is one of the technical elements of this piece, and with only a week to learn it before performing it, putting in the extra practice isn't worth it.

I do think that we probably obsess too much about playing music the way it's written rather than in the way that puts the music across better, or that suits our technique better, or that makes more sense to us. Most professional concert pianists have no such qualms, as I've witnessed often in live concerts.

Probably the most common is the redistribution of hands - just watch Mikhail Pletnev, who possesses one of the most transcendental techniques around, playing Chopin's last Prelude from Op.28: http://youtu.be/weNs4NuhJ0g

#2026182 - 02/03/13 04:58 AM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: Mark_C]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: outo
....Have to admit I don't care for the revolutionary that much....

I think there's a high chance that's totally because of its familiarity. It's a remarkable and striking piece of music -- musically.

As per what you said, of course that's subjective and personal. But I'm telling you. grin
In view of what your tastes and preferences seem to be, it's hard for me to imagine it wouldn't be that way for you.

It's true that too many bad/mediocre performances can totally ruin a piece for me...The revolutionary has it's moments, but I think it's just not so much to my musical taste as a whole. I'd say my favorites in addition to 10-2 are 10-6, 10-9, 10-10, 25-1, 25-07, 25-10, 25-12. But sometimes you hear a performance of the others that totally hits home grin

#2026184 - 02/03/13 05:06 AM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: trigalg693]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: trigalg693
(hence, I did not pay 40 dollars to go see Lang Lang play a bunch of Chopin etudes last year).

Nor should you pay 40 dollars to go see LL play a bunch of anything... ever! At least you used the correct wording with "see", rather than "hear".

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2026186 - 02/03/13 05:14 AM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: stores]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores
Originally Posted By: trigalg693
(hence, I did not pay 40 dollars to go see Lang Lang play a bunch of Chopin etudes last year).

Nor should you pay 40 dollars to go see LL play a bunch of anything... ever! At least you used the correct wording with "see", rather than "hear".

Oh shut up with this crap.

#2026201 - 02/03/13 06:37 AM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: Mark_C]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Damon
I like the Chopin etudes, but they strike me as pop tunes with a technical problem thrown on top. Hard to learn, easy to memorize.

Totally false!!!
(Although, the melody of the F major 10/8 does seem to stolen from an old Beef-A-Roni commercial.) ha

Do you mean they are easy to learn and hard to memorize?

#2026357 - 02/03/13 02:19 PM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: argerichfan]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area

... and I don't dislike the etudes. But to compare them musically to Chopin's more thoughtful pieces is an exercise in worship, IMO.

Well I took note of the 'IMO', but I totally disagree. Your use of the word 'worship' is utterly insulting, I have no problem rating the etudes amongst the finest of Chopin's works.

Sorry mate, did you ever study music at uni?

I suppose this is some British thing to leave out articles, so I assume you mean any college or university as opposed to some place called uni? If so, yes.

#2026364 - 02/03/13 02:25 PM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: Damon]
Mark_C Online   content

I suppose this is some British thing to leave out articles....

Yeah. smile
As near as I can tell, it's done with just a few nouns, "university" and "hospital" being the ones I've noticed.

#2026383 - 02/03/13 03:34 PM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: Mark_C]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under

Yeah. smile
As near as I can tell, it's done with just a few nouns, "university" and "hospital" being the ones I've noticed.
But don't you say "go to school" in the US?

#2026385 - 02/03/13 03:42 PM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: currawong]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: currawong
But don't you say "go to school" in the US?

Good point! And that gets into an aspect of this that I thought of saying in the other post but didn't want to take up more space. smile

The thing is, those words in British apparently have a slightly different additional connotation -- as is the case for the word "school" in the U.S. When we say "go to school," the word has a slightly different, broader meaning than when we say go to a school.

The words "university" and "hospital" don't have such an additional broader meaning in the U.S, and that's why it sounds a little strange for us to hear them without any article. I'm guessing that in the U.K., they do.

#2026395 - 02/03/13 04:01 PM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: Mark_C]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
The thing is, those words in British apparently have a slightly different additional connotation -- as is the case for the word "school" in the U.S. When we say "go to school," the word has a slightly different, broader meaning than when we say go to a school.
Yes, I'd noticed that you use "school" for just about every educational institution. Here we'd never say "school starts again this week" about college, or university, or anything other than, well, school, the school you go to from the age of 5-18 (approximately).
The words "university" and "hospital" don't have such an additional broader meaning in the U.S, and that's why it sounds a little strange for us to hear them without any article.
But "college" does have this broader meaning, like the way we use "university", yes?

#2026403 - 02/03/13 04:24 PM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: currawong]
Mark_C Online   content

But "college" does have this broader meaning, like the way we use "university", yes?

Yes, you're right!! That didn't occur to me.
Nice job.
You have a good ear for these things! smile

#2026404 - 02/03/13 04:26 PM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: currawong]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Yes, I'd noticed that you use "school" for just about every educational institution. Here we'd never say "school starts again this week" about college, or university, or anything other than, well, school, the school you go to from the age of 5-18 (approximately).
The words "university" and "hospital" don't have such an additional broader meaning in the U.S, and that's why it sounds a little strange for us to hear them without any article.

I used to think it odd that when chatting to Americans of well beyond school age, they say they go to school, until I realized they meant a higher establishment like university.

Luckily, most other ex-British colonies wink still use 'school' and 'university' in a manner understandable to us. Somehow, saying that you go to "Oxford School" doesn't sound as impressive as going to Oxford University. I wonder if "Harvard School" is just as good as Harvard University.....

#2026406 - 02/03/13 04:29 PM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: bennevis]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: bennevis
....I wonder if "Harvard School" is just as good as Harvard University.....

A while back Bill Maher did a what-if 1799 version of his old Politically Incorrect show. One of the panelists said "Harvard School." It sounded pretty funny.

#2026412 - 02/03/13 04:48 PM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: Thrill Science]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The thread has somewhat departed from the original question.

And, I feel, I have to repeat my previous point:

That is, the opening C-c octave of the op. 10 no.1 etude is musically very important, therefore it has to be played as an octave.

I don't care for the other *cheats* the OP might consider, but I feel responsible at least to point out that dropping the top C in the first octave is totally a wrong *cheat*.

Sorry for interrupting the hijack.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#2026455 - 02/03/13 06:15 PM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: Hakki]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: Hakki
....the opening C-c octave of the op. 10 no.1 etude is musically very important, therefore it has to be played as an octave.

Agree completely -- and I hadn't noticed anyone saying they don't!
(I went back and do see it in the OP, loud and clear.)

It has to be the octave.
Has to be. smile

#2026494 - 02/03/13 07:12 PM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: Mark_C]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.

Yeah. smile

Sorry, I'm still learning American usage, sometimes this can be awkward. Yet when I talk to my mother in London, sometimes SHE can't figure out my Catch 22.

#2026500 - 02/03/13 07:35 PM Re: How do *you* cheat? (Chopin Etudes) [Re: Hakki]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Hakki

That is, the opening C-c octave of the op. 10 no.1 etude is musically very important, therefore it has to be played as an octave.
The OP didn't suggest otherwise.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Typical % markup on price dealer pays for a piano
by pianoloverus
10/22/14 10:24 AM
calling all users of Ivory II American D
by dire tonic
10/22/14 08:29 AM
Staying in one position for too long - tension
by DeadPoets
10/22/14 06:07 AM
Cleaning strings
by PhilipInChina
10/22/14 05:10 AM
recording digital piano
by johan d
10/22/14 03:38 AM
Who's Online
136 registered (anotherscott, ando, anamnesis, ajames, A Guy, accordeur, 28 invisible), 1490 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158411 Topics
2326330 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission