2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, 10 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2016018 01/17/13 10:58 AM
K
kutacat Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I need to play as an accompanist for my daughter's grade 2 violin exam. I am having difficulty with the time signature.
They have the speed marked at 108 - 120 for a 1/2 note and the time signature is 2/2 time. I am pretty sure that 2/2 is two 1/2 notes per measure, which i have been playing as 4/4 time as the measures are mostly quarter notes. My problem is the speed, if the speed is 108 for a 1/2 note does that mean 216 if I am playing 4/4? That is ridiculously fast for grade 2 level, so I not sure that is correct. Thanks for your help.

J
J
I would ignore the indicated tempo and play it at whatever speed your daughter can play comfortably. I agree it sounds awfully fast. Are you sure it's indicating "half-note = 108" and not "quarter-note = 108"?

If your daughter is rolling her eyes at you to go faster you may be in trouble... wink

K
kutacat Offline OP
OP Offline
K
It is definitely 108 for a 1/2 note. It is for a RCM grade 2 exam, so we have to get at least close to the proper speed.

J
J
Your daughter must be working with an instructor, and presumably she is practicing this piece? What tempo is she practicing at? Is it something like 200bpm? If so is her part mostly half/whole notes while the accompaniement plays eigth-note arpeggio runs? smile

Can you link to the scores?

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
A little simplicity: Do not make it complicated, because it is not.

2/2 meter indicates 2 beats per measure, and that the half-note receives one beat, just as you guessed. 2/2 meter is also known as "cut time", referring to the fact that each of the notes and rests receive one-half the duration, compared to 4/4 meter. Many (MANY) marches are written in 2/2 meter, and realistically, 120 BPM is a fairly average march tempo.

Do not fall into the trap of thinking 240 BPM in 4/4 meter! That is wrong. Think "in 2", and make each whole note receive 2 beats, each half-note receive 1 beat, play two quarter notes for every beat, and if indicated, four eighth notes per beat.

Also remember that the grading of soli is based upon the difficulty of the SOLO PART. The difficulty of the piano accompaniment is not necessarily reflected in the grading.

Ed

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
A
A
I think this is good and better. 2/2 meter indicates 2 beats per measure, and that the half-note receives one beat which is definitely reasonable.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Just like Intellectual Property, this is good AND better!

Has anyone seen kutacat??

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Which piece is it? The RCM has changed its syllabus since we did it, but many of the pieces are still the same. What does your child's teacher have to say? Actually, accompanying is an art to itself, especially in an exam situation for an inexperienced student (if she is doing grade 2, then she has had a maximum of 1 previous exam).

So much for that.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by keystring
So much for that.

Yup -- unfortunately!

I think Mark C and btb are on to something: From now on, I am limiting my responses to three words. If the OP comes back with questions, then I may bump it up to five or seven.

Ed

C
C
Originally Posted by LoPresti

Also remember that the grading of soli is based upon the difficulty of the SOLO PART. The difficulty of the piano accompaniment is not necessarily reflected in the grading.

Good point. Accompaniment is about framing and helping the singer or soloist so THEY can shine, they can be in the spotlight.

Also, even if it is 120 bpm for the half note, usually this sort of thing would be in a score made up primarily of no smaller than eighth notes. Is that the case here? In that case, you really got a pretty standard allegro speed, but in cut time.

Pianist/Composer/Songwriter/Music Artist website: http://www.chrisgoslow.com
My Piano Teaching website: http://www.pianolessonsinsacramento.com

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission