2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 13 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by zrtf90
Originally Posted by John Sprung
At this point, I'll refrain from a very long tangent on overtones, equal and other temperaments, the circle of fifths, and all that....(Except maybe to remark that only the first two overtones really matter, 2:1 for the octave, and 3:1 which is an octave and a fifth. Going up and down octaves and fifths you can put the whole circle together from that.)

No, you can't - and it's not my style to refrain from long tangents... smile

Using the 3:2 ratio on A = 110Hz you get to A = 14272.1 hz approx.
(E=165, B=247.5, F# = 371.25 etc.)

Going up the octaves you get (via 220, 440, 880, 1760, 3520, 7040) to 14080 - not 14272.1

That's why we had to develop mean, well, and equal temperaments. Most pianos are now tuned to a stretched equal temperament to compensate for the way our ears work but that's a subject for another time.

The octave was divided into twelve equal tones with each frequency being a multiple of the twelfth root of 2 (1.059463)

We lost the pure fifths, though they are very close (off by 0.11%) and we created a very dissonant interval at the seventh (off by almost 3%, nearly 30 time worse).

Well, OK. I didn't go off on a long enough tangent. But still, trying to keep it short:

The octave is divided into twelve equal tones, and also into 1200 cents, each being the 1200th root of two. The JND for successive (not simultaneous, that gives you beats) tones for human hearing is about 6 cents. The tweak from pure 4ths and 5ths to equally tempered is about 2 cents. So, we accept that. Higher order overtones that aren't multiples of powers of 2 and 3 turn out never to land within 6 cents of a note of the equally tempered scale.

Looking at the first few overtones:

2:1 and 3:1 are the foundation of our scale. 4:1 is two octaves. 6:1 is an octave above 3:1 8:1 is three octaves. 9:1 is (3x3):1, etc.

We need to look at 5:1, 7:1, (10:1 is 2x5:1) 11:1, etc. I did the math for all of them once, out to about 25:1. It turns out that none of them land within a JND.

Piano tuners -- those who do it by ear -- set up a temperament by going around the circle of 5ths and 4ths, narrowing the 5ths and widening the 4ths by about 2 cents, by counting beats. It's all based on the pure first overtone (octave) and the slightly modified second overtone.

The point I was trying to make is that none of the higher order overtones have anything to do with why we have the twelve tone octave.

The other point is that while the math may be interesting, it really doesn't much help us understand which chords to use, or what leading tones are....

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by JohnSprung

The other point is that while the math may be interesting, it really doesn't much help us understand which chords to use, or what leading tones are....

Quite. The name 'leading note' (or tone, or whatever) is no more than a name given to the 7th note in the diatonic major scale because it leads, in the most obvious and scale-orientated way, to the tonic which is pre-eminent. But it has no magical leading or inclining properties of its own other than those which arise out of its context within, and membership of, the scale.

IOW, if we are played the first 7 notes of the scale we are very likely to expect the 8th note out of sheer habituation but the leading note doesn't lead there irresistibly in the broader world of non-scalar music.

P
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P
I'm still thinking about Valencia's question about the names to give chords (and perhaps the notes in the chords as well). Some answers have been given already. I want to try an answer as well. To set the stage, I want to talk about intervals first.

I want to talk about intervals because I want to be able to say: a major triad is a major third and a perfect fifth above the root. A dominant 7 chord (e.g. C7: CEGBb) adds a minor seventh, while a major 7 chord (e.g. Cmaj7: CEGB) adds a major seventh. A dominant 7 chord resolves to the chord whose root is a fifth below. E.g C7 resolves to F. That information implicitly contains all (or almost all) the needed information about when to choose sharps or flats.

The key about intervals is that there is sound, and there is the names (or notation on the staff) that we use for that sound. Naming intervals has to do not only with sound, but also with the names, or staff notation, that we use for that sound.

Major thirds

Play a note, and the note 4 half-steps higher. Play them together, and also one after the other. That sound (the same as the first two notes of "Oh When the Saints") is the same sound whatever we call the notes. For example, start on C. The sound is the same whether we call the two notes CE or CFb or B#E or B#Fb or B#D## (to think of successively more unlikely things that we might call it!). For another example, start on F#. The sound is the same whether we call the two notes F#A# or F#Bb or GbA# or GbBb or GbCbb or E##A#, etc. (I'm having fun running through all the crazy names we could give a note...)

But when we give that sound of "four half steps" an interval name and call it a major third, that implies a particular way of notating it. In particular, a major third is notated on two neighbouring line notes, or two neighbouring space notes. For ilustrations of thirds, see p. 9 of Jason Sifford's guide to intervals Interval, Schminterval.

So in our first example starting on C, the note a major third up is called and notated E -- not D##, not Fb. If we were to call the first note B#, then the note a major third up would be called some type of D: D## to be exact. Take out a piece of staff paper (or draw five lines to be a staff) and draw these, to see what's going on.

Notice that this matches up with what keystring said earlier in the thread: an interval of a third means the third letter over, starting from the first letter. For example, C, D, E. Or B#, some type of C, some type of D (D## to be exact).

Look at the second example, from the first of the group of three black keys to the last of that group. Suppose we call the first note F#. Draw this on your staff paper. Let's say we're doing this on the first space of the treble clef. The note a third higher needs to be notated on the next space of the treble clef: the second space. So it's a type of A. We can see on the keyboard that it's the black key to the right of A natural, hence A#.

Suppose instead we call that first note Gb. Draw this on your staff paper. Let's say we're doing this on the second line of the treble clef. The note a third higher needs to be notated on the next line of the treble clef: the third line. So it's a type of B. We can see on the keyboard that it's the black key to the left of B natural, hence Bb.

Minor thirds

The same thing is true of minor thirds: they are notated on two neigbouring lines, or two neighbouring spaces. This matches up with the rule for thirds (of any type), that they be the third letter. Also they are three half-steps. For example, counting off letters C 1, D 2, Eb 3 gives that CEb is a third. What kind of third? Check the number of three half-steps from C to Eb: C to Db, 1. Db to D, 2. D to Eb, 3. So CEb is a minor third.

So by just a quick glance at the staff you can detect thirds: two neighbouring lines, or two neighbouring spaces. Then you have to either check the sound, or count the half-steps, or use other remembering devices, to know what kind of third it is.

Perfect fifths

Similarly, there is a pattern on the staff for fifths (of any type, perfect or otherwise). They are either two lines with a line in between, or two spaces with a space in between. See p. 3 of the aforementioned Interval, Schminterval. To be a perfect fifth, there must be 7 half-steps from the first note to the second note.

Suppose we start on B, on the middle line of the treble clef. That means the note a perfect fifth higher must be on the top line of the treble clef, hence a type of F. Checking half-steps, we find that it must be F#. Notice that this matches up counting letters: the letter for a fifth must be the fifth letter over from the starting letter. E.g. B, a type of C, a type of D, a type of E, F#. So a perfect fifth starting on B is notated as BF# -- not BGb.

Diminished fifths

Diminished fifths are also a type of fifth. They are 6 half-steps: one half-step smaller than a perfect fifth. Being a type of fifth, they are also notated on two lines with a line in between, or two spaces with a space in between. For example the interval BF is a diminished fifth.

Major and minor sevenths

A seventh is notated... well, ugh, I can't eyeball sevenths easily. It's notated on the line or space below where the octave would be notated. (Thinks about it a bit). This turns out that sevenths are notated either on two lines with two lines in between, or on two spaces with two spaces in between.

A major seventh is 11 half-steps; a minor seventh is 10 half-steps. But double-ugh, I hate counting half-steps, so I remember that a major seventh is a half-step down from an octave, and a minor seventh is a whole-step down from an octave.

So a major seventh above C is B, and a minor seventh above C is Bb. Note that the letter for a seventh is the seventh letter over (for example C D E F G A B, B is the seventh letter from C). So, for example, the note a major seventh above G is called F#, not Gb.

Remember what I said about sound? The sound is exactly the same whether we call it GF# or GGb. But when we start naming it as a major seventh, we are implying a particular choice of note name (and notation): GF#.

See p.7 of Interval, Schminterval.

I hate counting

Now for a secret: I hate counting half-steps. My limit for patience with counting half-steps is about 2 half-steps. I've just described for sevenths how I avoid counting 10 or 11 half-steps, and just back down 2 half-steps or 1 half-step from the octave instead.

Here are some other tricks that I use to avoid counting half-steps.

For major thirds, I remember the major triads, and a major third is always the first two notes of a major triad in root position.

For minor thirds, I remember the major thirds, and a minor third is a half-step smaller than that. I could remember the minor triads instead: a minor third is always the first two notes of a minor triad in root position. I don't happen to do it that way, but you might find that helpful.

For perfect fifths, I could remember them as the outside of either a major or minor triad, but actually I just have these memorized. (For a long time I used a mnemonic BEADGCF (pronounced beed-guh-cuf), which gives descending fifths, or ascending fifths when read backwards. This is a mental quirk of mine that this works for me: easily reading a mnemonic backwards in my head. This may not work for everyone.) If I'd known about the "two lines with a line in between, or two spaces with a space in between" when I was learning these, I could have visualized them on the staff instead of using the mnemonic.

For diminished fifths, I remember the perfect fifths, and a diminished fifth is always a half-step smaller than that. For example GDb. I remember "GD is a perfect fifth, so GDb must be a diminished fifth."

For major and minor sevenths, as mentioned, I count them back one or two half-steps back from the octave.

I have some other ways of finding intervals also, involving keys and inverted intervals, but I'll talk about those later, since it involves more material than we need yet and I don't want to overload the information (as if this post isn't perhaps too much information already).

Other intervals

There are other intervals smaller than an octave: seconds, fourths, and sixths. You can read about them in Interval, Schminterval. I'll post about them at some other time; we don't need them yet.

When we start to talk about extended chords (chords bigger than a sevenths), we get into extended intervals like ninths, elevenths, thirteenths (and there are tenths, twelfths, etc.) I'll talk about those at some later time, when we start to really need those chords.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
OK, here's something that some of you may find helpful, particularly beginners reading lead sheets.

Instead of doing all that dreary counting of half steps, I've borrowed the old idea of the slide rule to make a handy way of finding which keys to press. What you do is print out all these PDF's, then cut or fold the keyboard picture as indicated. Put it on top of any of the others with the tick mark for the root you want lined up with the "R", and the other tick marks are the tones of the chord you want. Since it's just a stack of paper, it's fairly easy to use at the piano, along with the paper sheet music.

Granted, this isn't too convenient for analysis, since you have to then go from the keyboard image to the letter names. But I had it handy....

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/Chords-1.pdf

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/Chords-2.pdf

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/Chords-3.pdf

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/Chords-4.pdf

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/Chords-5.pdf

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/Keyboard.pdf

Edit: Here's an explanation on how to use it:

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/KeyChord.pdf

Last edited by JohnSprung; 02/05/13 07:38 PM.

-- J.S.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Is this going to work where you have two adjacent white keys that are a semitone apart (BC, EF)?

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Beginners Forum
Just a bit of advice from the sidelines ...
the “analysis” approach would suggest the poster hopes to “gain a march”
(with the help of others) in understanding the bewildering jumble of keyboard notes which confront the befuddled beginner.

However the OP shoots himself in the foot by saying
“it's not so important to be able to play the pieces we analyse” ...
The truth is that hands on the keyboard is the critical catalyst to understanding the music.

Slow progress starting with the basics should be the watchword ... playing a favourite piece (however elementary) and then memorizing same to afford a pleasant rendition, is the way to go.

Here’s a picture of of the keyboard score to “Happy Birthday” to get you under way ...
What can we learn from the image?
Feeling = with enthusiasm
f = loud (as against soft)
3/4 = waltz time (or three-quarter time)
There are two staves ... upper “treble” and lower “bass”
There are 8 measures with words relating to the notes sounded
Notes with a dot are extended in length by a half
The black notes are called quarter notes (in this case)
The open notes are called ‘half” notes (twice the length of 1/4 notes)
Two notes joined vertically form chords (played simultaneously)
and all this info in a single image.

Now to play ... it is sometimes easier to play the two hands separately at first ...
So D ...D.E ...D...G....F........
....Happy Birthday To You
Once the treble can be played by the RH ... try the bass with the LH ...
Now the tricky bit ... BOTH HANDS ... and singing the words.

Hoping the suggestions are of help ... what’s next? Skies the limit!
http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/happybirthday.jpg

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I don't get it.

e.g. Rm shows the middle note skewed to the left. That's ok for Cm but what about Am?

Maybe I'm missing something?

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Patty Hill and her sister Mildred wrote the song Good Morning to All, which they sang to children every morning (Mildred wrote the tune; Patty wrote the original lyrics). The lyrics were as follows:

Good morning to you,
Good morning to you,
Good morning, dear children,
Good morning to all.

The words were later changed to the world-famous
Happy Birthday to You,

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by btb
The truth is that hands on the keyboard is the critical catalyst to understanding the music.

What about those who can play well by ear?

Come to that, what is meant by the term 'understand' in music?

Originally Posted by dire tonic
I don't get it.

e.g. Rm shows the middle note skewed to the left. That's ok for Cm but what about Am?

If it were measured out on a string (instrument), it would work, played as broken chords up the string. The piano has two places with adjacent white keys and no black key in the middle. In those areas the interval distances are not the same. The "number of piano keys" stays constant.

Last edited by keystring; 02/05/13 04:18 AM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by keystring
If it were measured out on a string (instrument), it would work, played as broken chords up the string. The piano has two places with adjacent white keys and no black key in the middle. In those areas the interval distances are not the same. The "number of piano keys" stays constant.

The time for a piano octave with 6 white keys and 6 black is long overdue.

The time for a piano octave with 6 white keys and 6 black is long overdue.

It's already been done. Maybe somebody can find the picture. laugh

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

It's already been done. Maybe somebody can find the picture. laugh

I'd also like to see the pictures of a pianist trying to cope.

There are factors such as orienting at the keyboard and the fact that the present shape is well suited to the shape of the human hand. The important fact at present is that the physical distance in inches or centimeters for intervals is not equal throughout the keyboard because twice we have adjacent white keys spelling out a half step / semitone. The distance in terms of number of piano keys is constant, however.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
What a cockeyed idea from dire tonic ...
“The time for a piano octave with 6 white keys and 6 black is long overdue.”

.The alternate black notes in twos and threes provides a tactile feel to allow the pianist to keep eyes on the score

The chappie sipping gin is obviously an amateur ...
only those who have mastered the tactile feel to guide the hands ... progress favourably.

Recognition of irony is often a lost art, btb.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
I don't get it.

I've added an explanation PDF to the original post #2027127.

The idea is that the tick marks above the keyboard image (the fallboard edge of it) are equally spaced, and indicate all the keys on the keyboard. The tick marks on the chord diagrams are supposed to line up with the ones on the keyboard picture, when you put the keyboard picture on top of them. Of course, they all have to be printed out at the same scale.

-- J.S.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
The distance between intervals on the PIANO are not equally spaced, John. DE and BC are the same distance apart as FG, GA, and CD, but the latter comprise a whole tone while the former comprise a semitone, because of the black key between them.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
The distance between intervals on the PIANO are not equally spaced, John. DE and BC are the same distance apart as FG, GA, and CD, but the latter comprise a whole tone while the former comprise a semitone, because of the black key between them.

Yes, that's right.

But looking at the keys where they meet the fallboard, the blacks and the narrow part of the whites are reasonably close in width, and each step there is a semitone. So, equally spaced tick marks near there indicate the keys on my keyboard picture, each step from one tick mark to the next is a semitone.

Lining those tick marks up with the ones on the chord diagrams shows which piano keys are used in the chord. You just have to follow by eye to the wide end of the whites.

The idea is that all this gets printed out on paper, then the keyboard picture with its tick marks gets laid on top of the chord diagrams, and lined up with the root you want.

Last edited by JohnSprung; 02/06/13 03:20 AM.

-- J.S.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Have you found that this leads to having a sense of intervals and chords eventually, as well as what the notes are?

Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission