2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 4 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2027304 02/05/13 08:17 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Hi all,
sorry for my english. This week i'll buy a digital piano. I'm a 24 old guy who played for 10 years piano and now, after a stop of 8 years, i'd like to restart it.

At home i have an acoustic piano but in my university home i must buy a digital piano and my budget is in the range of casio px 150.

I tried it and i like it, but i'd like to know if there are better alternatives in the same range of price.

Thanks so much smile

S
S
only thing better for that price is the Yamaha p-105.

Yamaha P-250 | Galaxy II Pianos | Galaxy Vintage D | The GIANT | Ravenscroft 275
C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
I played both the Yamaha P105 and the PX-350 (which has the same keyboard as the PX-150).

I preferred the PX-350 "feel". It's closer to an acoustic piano.

So between P105 and PX-150, I'd take the PX-150. But (as you see here) people have different opinions.

I agree that there is nothing better, at that price.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
If you can afford the PX-350, I would go with that instead of the PX-150. I think the speaker system is a little better and that results in a little fuller sound.

Last edited by dmd; 02/05/13 11:45 AM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I chose the casio px-150 in preference to the yamaha when I bought a few weeks ago. It's not a straightforward decision - they're close in pure value-for-money terms.

I was swayed, at the time anyway, by the feel of the action on the casio which I found marginally more convincing and piano-like than the yamaha. It may have been the 'ivory and wood' feel keys adding to that impression.

Also, it seemed to me that the casio had a slightly deeper key travel which I prefer but this could have been illusory.

Perhaps I should say, I was more concerned by the action than by the sound emerging from the built in speakers since I use the piano quite a lot with samples. The guy in the shop thought the yamaha sound straight out of the speakers was better than the casio which may well have been the case. But even when using the casio's internal AP sound I would be inclined to use decent headphones which, in any case, would be way better than relying on the internal speakers of either piano.

But there wasn't a lot in it...

S
S
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

I preferred the PX-350 "feel". It's closer to an acoustic piano.

i agree the px150/350 keyboard "feel" is better than the yamaha p-105... that's the 1st time I would say that about Casio smile

Yamaha P-250 | Galaxy II Pianos | Galaxy Vintage D | The GIANT | Ravenscroft 275
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks so much guys laugh
I played also p105 and i found px150 better for me. My goal is to know if there were others good piano in that range, but if there are only p105 and px150 I made my choice laugh I think if 2 pianos are very close like these, the only important thing is which do you prefer subjectively.

Originally Posted by dire tonic
I was more concerned by the action than by the sound emerging from the built in speakers since I use the piano quite a lot with samples. The guy in the shop thought the yamaha sound straight out of the speakers was better than the casio which may well have been the case. But even when using the casio's internal AP sound I would be inclined to use decent headphones which, in any case, would be way better than relying on the internal speakers of either piano.

I also the same. I'm interested on mechanics cause i use headphones or The Grand on Computer smile

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Those are your only two options in that price range. If you prefer the Casio, you have your answer.

The only downside of the Casio I'm aware of is that the pedal it comes with by default is just on/off, not continuous. That's a significant loss for me at least. You can buy the optional stand/pedal combo that has a real piano-like pedal (sp33). It plugs into a different jack than the default pedal, and the cheap pedals you can get around are not compatible with the progressive-pedal jack.

In every other technical respect the Casio seems to win, although many people (myself included) subjectively prefer the sound of the Yamaha. Doesn't matter in your case.

Last edited by gvfarns; 02/05/13 07:47 PM.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by gvfarns
Those are your only two options in that price range.

There's also the lower priced Yamaha P-35, and the Korg SP-170 has also had its fans. (Well, I guess if you want to be complete, also the Williams, but its fans seem to be few and far between!)

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission