Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
79 registered (anotherscott, anamnesis, 26 invisible), 1183 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2027480 - 02/05/13 02:11 PM Happy endings of classical composers?
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
Just reading a bit of history of classical period composers..

Did ANY of them have a happy ending?

Off my head:

Chopin died poorly alone, almost penniless than a student of his had to cover his rent.

Bach died ill alone, in an unmarked grave penniless with just a few books and instruments to his name.

Beethoven died horribly ill with severe tinnitus.

Brahms died horribly of liver cancer bed ridden and severely ill and unable to play

Mozart died horribly ill in and was buried in an unmarked grave .

Schubert died very young horribly ill.

Or is it just completely normal in the classical age i.e. other normal people were dying in the same manner?

The thing is Rachmaninoff who lived in the 20th century also died of a horrible illness.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2027499 - 02/05/13 02:32 PM Re: Happy endings of classical composers? [Re: justpin]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Thanks for the motivation! :p

#2027504 - 02/05/13 02:46 PM Re: Happy endings of classical composers? [Re: justpin]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Medical treatment was poor. They got sick and died.

So, what *is* a happy ending?

"My friends, I'm sorry to inform you that your favorite composer in this romantic period has died yesterday. He fell off his unicorn whilst attempting to jump over a rainbow. However, it should be said he was smiling the entire way down. May he rest in pieces."

grin

#2027521 - 02/05/13 03:16 PM Re: Happy endings of classical composers? [Re: justpin]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Picking just two pre-modern composers: Haydn & Bach. Both lived long (for the time) and "did all right."

When I was young, I thought that Poverty was a country where musicians went .... wink

Kawai K3

#2027531 - 02/05/13 03:47 PM Re: Happy endings of classical composers? [Re: justpin]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

"Starting out with anal..." and now "Happy endings". What on earth is happening to these forums anyway?!

#2027534 - 02/05/13 03:50 PM Re: Happy endings of classical composers? [Re: justpin]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Liszt had quite a long and full life! But yes, I had the same impression while listening to Prof. Robert Greenberg's lectures on music history.

#2027561 - 02/05/13 04:41 PM Re: Happy endings of classical composers? [Re: justpin]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

What's a happy ending? Maybe dying because of overdose? LOL

#2027590 - 02/05/13 05:45 PM Re: Happy endings of classical composers? [Re: justpin]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Liszt must have been the longest living composer of the nineteenth century! Bet it was his genes..

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2027766 - 02/05/13 11:18 PM Re: Happy endings of classical composers? [Re: justpin]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
My piano teacher is a composer. I told him that I don't think he'll ever be a truly great composer, because he doesn't come from a disfunctional family, he doesn't have a life-threatening illness, nor doesn't he have any bizarre personality traits. Talent and hard work will only take you so far. laugh

#2027859 - 02/06/13 03:54 AM Re: Happy endings of classical composers? [Re: justpin]
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Sorry, thought this thread was about something completely different... hey-o! laugh

I would think that most people die from illness, particularly before the advent of modern medicine. One of the great fallacies in "life expectancy" predictions is that we're making our lives longer because the average age at which people die is higher now than ever before.

Well, there is some truth to it: the average person will live much longer, thus giving us a greater number. But the max age really hasn't been touched at all. It was not uncommon for some people (like Liszt) to live well into their 80's back when the average life expectancy was something like 35-40 years.

The statistics even show that, if someone in the time survived to age 21, it was likely they would survive to age 64. So, a lot of people were dying young, of illness and probably from war/fighting.

In that light, I don't think it's any surprise that the cross-section of composers follows the same pattern as the rest of the world. wink

#2027913 - 02/06/13 06:57 AM Re: Happy endings of classical composers? [Re: justpin]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Liszt, while he lived a long full life, also died horribly alone, neglected by his daughter, a case of elder abuse. Read Alan Walker's short book about the death of Liszt. (As if one needed another reason to despise Wagner - - )
The Death of Franz Liszt

Chopin, on the other hand, while he did die broke, died in a most upscale Paris apartment, comforted by his closest friends, his sister, and half the fashionable world of Paris. He knew he was much loved, even if George never showed.

#2027952 - 02/06/13 08:25 AM Re: Happy endings of classical composers? [Re: justpin]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
I think the original poster is being a little pessimistic, and needs to do a little more research, or at least look at things from the perspective of the times.

Brahms also lived a long (for the times) and successful life and was only sick at the very end. He died rich and well respected.

Even Mozart, while he died young, did not have that bad a life. He made a lot of money, and spent it all (and more). He did what he loved to do and had great fun at it. Because he started so young, you could say that he had already lived a lifetime before he turned 30. Did everything always go his way? No, but that's rare for anyone. His death was certainly not anything out of the ordinary for Vienna at the time.

Sam

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Never thought it would end up at that instrument ...
by fatast
12/21/14 05:45 AM
Is Yelp reliable for evaluating piano stores?
by Le Chiffre
12/21/14 02:08 AM
Guide to Teaching
by Arghhh
12/21/14 12:39 AM
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
12/20/14 10:24 PM
Merry Christmas from Brazil! Feliz Natal!!
by Piano_Brazil
12/20/14 09:19 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160032 Topics
2350088 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission