2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
C
All they are saying is...C minor and E flat major have the same key signature ...

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Get it right
All they are saying is...C minor and E flat major have the same key signature ...

The key of C minor and E flat major have the same key signature. The book says that the scale has that key signature without clarifying, and that was the first point of confusion. Apparently the book then went on to present an harmonic minor scale, since he says that the B stayed B natural, and didn't explain that either.

You can have a C minor (natural, harmonic, melodic) scale in music without having the key signature of E flat. If you are coming into music the first time and run into incomplete explanations like the one in the book, it can lead to confusion and misconception. When I downloaded that book I had already done several levels of theory and glossed over that part.

C
C
I have a question that I'm not sure is theory and I hope someone can help me out here.

When a flat is placed beside the lower note of an octave, but the upper note is not flatted, do you flat the whole octave or do you only flat the lower note but play the upper note as written? For example, it's an octave F but the lower F is flatted and the upper F is left as is (there's no natural sign beside it). So do you play the octave as F flat (E) or do you play it as F natural on top and E on the bottom?

Thank you!

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
The rule is that only the lower note is flatted, and the upper F is played as written. Many notators will write a natural sign explicitly next to the upper F to make this clear and/or to reassure the reader that the flat sign hasn't been accidentally left off the upper F.

Or there may be an error in your score.

What piece is this?

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
B
B
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
I'm starting (just) on Cooke's "Mastering the Scales and Arpeggios" and I'm lost right out of the gate on Lesson I (page 5).

He starts with the scale of C major followed immediately by C minor, which I understand to be the same key signature as Eb, i.e. flatted B, E, and A. However, he has only the E and the A flatted in the scale, not the B.

Looking ahead, apparently this is the "harmonic minor", but he just introduces these without much explanation of why there are different types/forms. Any info on the purpose of these -- i.e. in which musical circumstances would one expect to see normal vs. harmonic vs. melodic?

Well, in my experience (Which could be wrong) I believe Harmonic is the most common, especially in classical music. The reason is it has a leading tone (half step) between the last note of the scale and the Tonic. This is a very strong sequence, and also allows the V chord in that key to be a Major chord. In other words, it makes resolution to the tonic much more tense and interesting.

The Harmonic minor is not used as much in modern/pop music because it sounds too strong and classy. Modern pop music uses more natural minor or sometimes minor modes like Dorian, because the leading tone just sounds wierd in pop music.

The melodic minor might be the least common, because it is more intricate and again may have been more popular in classical music to allow a melody to use the leading tone on the way up, but sound more minor like on the way down.

A very interesting exercise I found to do was to play "Greensleeves" in all 3 minor variations and compare. It's amazing. Ask yourself or someone else which one sounds "Correct" , or the most correct and you will find it's hard to say. They all sound right.

Last edited by blueston; 12/14/12 05:55 PM.
C
C
Thank you for clarifying. It does sound strange to play the top F natural and the bottom E but I guess that's what it is. The name of the piece is "A dream is a wish your heart makes." It's written with Chopin Ballade 4 in mind. Great piece!

Maybe of interests for some, a couple of tutorials on counterpoint and harmony: http://www.youtube.com/user/artofcounterpoint smile

- Please, forgive my bad English smile

Jean-Luc
While a little complex to navigate (it's not a step by step tutorial at all), very interesting for people who want to start analyzing music: http://www.tonalityguide.com/index.php

Jean-Luc
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
wow there's a lot of descriptive information on constructing and dissecting harmony there; thanks for posting, Jean

This link takes you to the site's Table of Contents for easy navigation: http://www.tonalityguide.com/tableofcontents.php

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Fantastic resource! The navigation leaves a lot to be desired, but the content is excellent. Thanks for sharing this Jean-Luc!

Is this a typo on this page?: http://www.tonalityguide.com/tkchordlabelling.php

Shouldn't the II over the V at the bottom of the page be a ii? It looks like an A minor chord to me. I would think it would only be a II if the top note was a C# rather than a C. Right?

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
I think you are right, it is most definitively a minor chord and it should be ii, not II smile

Jean-Luc
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I must be learning something then! There's no way I would have picked up on this a couple months ago, and a couple months before that it would have been absolute gibberish.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hopefully you guys can help me.

I'm learning chords in a pattern. I learned the c chords and did the pattern like this: RH: ceg, egc, gce, ceg LH: ceg, egc, gce, ceg.

Now I'm to add the E major. So I'm not sure I have this right.

so I would go RH: eg#a, g#ae, aeg#, eg#a

Um is that right?? I'm just inverting the Icord correct? So lost here HELP!

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BeccaBb
Hopefully you guys can help me.

I'm learning chords in a pattern. I learned the c chords and did the pattern like this: RH: ceg, egc, gce, ceg LH: ceg, egc, gce, ceg.

Now I'm to add the E major. So I'm not sure I have this right.

so I would go RH: eg#a, g#ae, aeg#, eg#a

Um is that right?? I'm just inverting the Icord correct? So lost here HELP!

eg#b.

The inversions looked fine though.

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
LOL yes I meant b. smile

Thanks. It's my first time figuring out inversions on my own.

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
LOL yes I meant b. smile

I was thinking, "I don't even need to go to the piano to know that would be one ugly sounding chord!" smile

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That's great Becca, you will find that using inversions can be fun and smooths out somethings by not having to jump all over to play chord progressions. Maybe just moving two fingers instead of your whole hand to a new position. grin

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
LOL yes I meant b. smile

I was thinking, "I don't even need to go to the piano to know that would be one ugly sounding chord!"

Perhaps better to go to the piano though. By changing the B in the e major to an A instead (ie. E, G#, A) you've got the makings of an Amaj7. Just add a C# and you have the entire Amaj7. Move the notes around or spread them out. But, any way that you can find to play this chord, it is going to sound very hip and nice. Not ugly at all.

Of course, this is entirely off topic of the E major. Just pointing this out though, as sometimes what looks like it may be ugly on paper, is not that way at all.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I gotta say, without the C# in there, I'm still standing by my original conclusion smile

With the C#, that is one seriously awkward chord to play, for all inversions. At least under my fingers.

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Ragdoll! That is exactly why my teacher is having me start to do inversions. I was having issues with my chord changes in Greensleeves. It's getting better now. smile

Greener, okay so if I have this right it's E, G#, A, C#?

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission