Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2027596 - 02/05/13 05:56 PM Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert?
BWV 846 Offline

Loc: Silver Spring, Maryland
A pianist is coming to town soon for a piano concert. She is currently my favorite pianist/performer. I would like to bring a bouquet of flowers to place on the stage after the performance to express my appreciation. Would that be inappropriate?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2027606 - 02/05/13 06:04 PM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: BWV 846]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
It's very common for some people in the audience to do this. Why do you think it would be inappropriate?

#2027642 - 02/05/13 06:59 PM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: BWV 846]
BWV 846 Offline

I don't think I have ever seen somebody who was just an audience member, not someone who works for the venue, do it at a concert.

#2027663 - 02/05/13 07:32 PM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: BWV 846]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
BWV846 :

Traditionally at formal concerts it seems to be the agent or the house's management that sends someone from staff to present flowers to the performer.

That said, in less formal venues, I have seen audience members present flowers to the performer. In these cases it seems that one invariably chooses a child to do the presentation.

What you could do, after the performance, is go back stage and present your flowers personally and not in front of the audience.

Regards,

#2027664 - 02/05/13 07:33 PM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: BWV 846]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: BWV 846
I don't think I have ever seen somebody who was just an audience member, not someone who works for the venue, do it at a concert.
I think sometimes at the largest concert halls ushers may bring the flowers, but I've also seen regular audience members do it, and it's very common in smaller halls for audience members to do it in my experience.

Edited by pianoloverus (02/05/13 07:33 PM)

#2027667 - 02/05/13 07:39 PM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: BWV 846]
BWV 846 Offline

It's a small hall in a large venue (Kennedy Center).

#2027678 - 02/05/13 08:14 PM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: BruceD]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
I think it's a lovely gesture. What's the harm?
Originally Posted By: BruceD

What you could do, after the performance, is go back stage and present your flowers personally and not in front of the audience. Regards,
I think Bruce's idea is an even better one since you get to meet the artist and show your appreciation in person.

Deborah

#2027694 - 02/05/13 08:39 PM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: BWV 846]
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
Call the hall and ask what the practice is there.

#2027695 - 02/05/13 08:39 PM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: BWV 846]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
I know who you're going to hear and the answer is yes, she'd love to have flowers.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2027754 - 02/05/13 10:46 PM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: stores]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: stores
I know who you're going to hear and the answer is yes, she'd love to have flowers.

laugh , I brought flowers some years ago to a concert in London. Thankfully the star did not cancel -and I was a tart sight in my Savile Row pinstripe suit offering them- but otherwise, I would have just passed them on to my mother.

#2027892 - 02/06/13 06:04 AM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: BWV 846]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
So, who's the performer?

#2028011 - 02/06/13 10:59 AM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: BWV 846]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Just be sure the bouquet is nice enough to properly express your appreciation. I have seen gas-station flowers presented to performers by representatives of the house, and it was embarrassing. I would hate to see the performer accept your bouquet of roses, only to turn them around and whip you with the stems as he chased you from the hall.

Ok, I'm lying--- that would be quite a show. There would be ink for years.

Anyway, when you say it with flowers, be sure you say the right thing. The language is rather explicit.

#2028090 - 02/06/13 01:00 PM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: BWV 846]
WhoDwaldi Offline

I don't think I want to do this anymore.

#2028099 - 02/06/13 01:08 PM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: WhoDwaldi]
BruceD Offline

Originally Posted By: WhoDwaldi
Random floral thoughts.

I saw Isaac Stern receive post-concert flowers on a documentary about his last China trip, along with several other performers. He threw the flowers to someone in the audience, then encouraged the other performers to do likewise (they seemed to have wanted to keep their bouquets). I thought this was all rather tacky--he should have kept the flowers.

I see nothing tacky about that gesture at all. Stern, with his international reputation is highly unlikely to do anything tacky or against custom; perhaps it was a question of "different country, different customs." Stern was obviously sharing his enjoyment of the event by sharing with the audience their delight in the performance. I've often seen that done, particularly after an operatic performance where the lead soprano or lead tenor (when the poor guy even gets some flowers) shares them with the audience.

I did a competition once where a female competitor received flowers in the lobby after her performance, before the competition was over, from some group of boys attending the same college (also where the competition was held). She must have been the sweetheart of Phi Mu Alpha, or something. I thought it was rather tacky, as she had not won yet, and I was waiting to perform!

Why was that tacky? Some friends obviously wanted to share their appreciation for the performance that had just taken place. Do you think only the winners should be presented with flowers? Did you think you were being up-staged, somehow? It was, after all, in the lobby, not on stage. It seems like a kindly, thoughtful gesture; nothing tacky about it in my mind.

Some people have flower arragements put on stage for recitals. Nice, as long as they don't get knocked over moving the pianos around for two-piano concerto performances.

... and how often have you seen that happen?

#2028116 - 02/06/13 01:33 PM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: BWV 846]
WhoDwaldi Offline

#2029564 - 02/08/13 10:43 PM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: BWV 846]
BWV 846 Offline

I did give flowers to Angela Hewitt after the concert (yellow and white tulips). I'm glad I did.

#2029631 - 02/09/13 02:28 AM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: BWV 846]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
By all means come forward to present the artist with a large bouquet of flowers! If they don't reach out their hand to accept, simply lay them down on the stage. Alternatively you could throw single stem roses from the stage-side balcony for an Olympic touch.

#2030280 - 02/10/13 06:22 AM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: BruceD]
slipperykeys Offline

Loc: Dorset, England
Random floral thoughts.

[quote=WhoDwaldi]Some people have flower arragements put on stage for recitals. Nice, as long as they don't get knocked over moving the pianos around for two-piano concerto performances.

... and how often have you seen that happen?

It's a regular event in Dorset.

#2030489 - 02/10/13 01:10 PM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: BWV 846]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BWV 846
I did give flowers to Angela Hewitt after the concert (yellow and white tulips). I'm glad I did.
Lucky you to hear her! I bet she was very pleased to receive them.

Deborah

#2030504 - 02/10/13 01:27 PM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: BWV 846]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Angela Hewitt is an ex-ballerina, and ballerinas are always pleased to receive flowers grin.

In Russia and Eastern Europe, even male pianists are given bouquets by (female) members of the audience, as you can see here: http://youtu.be/weNs4NuhJ0g

#2030515 - 02/10/13 01:32 PM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: BWV 846]
BruceD Offline

I have the impression that the giving of flowers, particularly to men, is more common practice in Europe than in North America. For some unknown reason, it seems to be considered 'un-manly' to give flowers to a man - or for a man to accept flowers - on this side of the world.

Regards,

#2030666 - 02/10/13 05:09 PM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: BruceD]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Ask a florist and you'll probably find out that giving flowers to anyone is appropriate at any occasion.

smile

#2030674 - 02/10/13 05:22 PM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: BruceD]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I have the impression that the giving of flowers, particularly to men, is more common practice in Europe than in North America. For some unknown reason, it seems to be considered 'un-manly' to give flowers to a man - or for a man to accept flowers - on this side of the world.

Regards,
Ridiculous. I occasionally give my husband or my son, (the one who still lives with us), flowers. I try to choose colors they would like, like yellow, blue or orange.

Deborah

#2030677 - 02/10/13 05:29 PM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: gooddog]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy

Well, I agree that it is not that common to give flowers (or for men to receive them) in North America - but I don't know if it is much more common in Europe overall. That's not my impression.

In anycase, I regularly buy my husband flowers. He seems to like getting them... mind you I think he prefers when I bake him a chocolate cake. smile

#2030681 - 02/10/13 05:31 PM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: BruceD]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area

Regards,

I don't understand why anyone would want murdered flowers, but women seem to like them without fail. I'd accept them as a living plant, but I don't care to receive anything that will be dead soon.

#2030690 - 02/10/13 05:42 PM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: BWV 846]
pianomouse Offline

Loc: Europe
It's a lovely idea to bring flowers on stage. Just make sure the bouquet isn't too big to be hold and isn't dripping water onto the concert dress... shocked

#2030702 - 02/10/13 05:53 PM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: Damon]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Damon

Regards,

I don't understand why anyone would want murdered flowers, but women seem to like them without fail. I'd accept them as a living plant, but I don't care to receive anything that will be dead soon.
I see your point but keep in mind: flowers are short lived whether they are attached to the plant or not.

Deborah

#2031197 - 02/11/13 02:45 PM Re: Appropriate to give flowers to a pianist after a concert? [Re: gooddog]
wower Offline

Loc: Calgary
Originally Posted By: gooddog
Originally Posted By: Damon
I see your point but keep in mind: flowers are short lived whether they are attached to the plant or not.

I think he's just trolling GD. I already had him on ignore but your quote brought him to my attention.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (ajames, accordeur, A Guy, AmateurBob, 44 invisible), 1668 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75349 Members
42 Forums
155789 Topics
2287534 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beethoven's ten greatest sonatas?
by JoelW
07/11/14 02:33 PM
Still looking
by capncaption
07/11/14 01:58 PM
Church&organ Willibrordus-church Kloosterburen(Nether
lands)

by Johan B
07/11/14 01:02 PM
Church & organ Willibrordus-church Kloosterburen-Nether
lands

by Johan B
07/11/14 01:00 PM
New recording by PW's Joseph Kubera gets sensational...
by pianoloverus
07/11/14 10:50 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission