2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2027622 02/05/13 07:28 PM
N
OP Offline
N
I was at a friends house the other day, and she had acquired an old upright (Benjamin Curtaz) that her tech told her was wonderful, and not to give away. He had taken the whole action out to work on so that all that was there were the strings. I plucked one of the strings on the lower end of the treble and was astounded at the sound and sustain that came out of that thing.

Since then on a few pianos I have been plucking as much as playing so I can hear what it sounds like without the variable of hammer condition getting in the way. However.....on my friend's piano I could pluck from the middle without anything in the way.....on everything else I have to pluck much closer to the pins.

Does it make any difference in the sound and if so what? Thanks!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Sure, the "strike point" is very important, just like playing a guitar near the bridge, or near the middle. The relative volume of each overtone is different, depending on where the string is struck. Can you hear the difference in sound?

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
www.shusterpiano.com
N
OP Offline
N
Yes, I can hear the difference, but didn't know how much to attribute to different pianos, or that I was plucking from different strike points. On my own upright, I cannot get behind the dampers to go lower down.... same with another upright I tried, and today I couldn't get under the bass strings of a grand I looked at. Am I right in thinking the further I get toward the middle the richer sound I will get? Not sure how to make use of this info as I look at pianos. I guess if I pluck all of them near the top or front then I can make a fair comparison?

Thanks for your response.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
newinstru, it is generally not a good idea to pluck piano strings, and definitely not on a new instrument. Human hands have oils and acids which will corrode strings, tarnishing the plain steel strings and the copper wound bass strings. If you need to satisfy that plucking curiosity, you can use something like a guitar pick. Be careful not to dislodge or un-seat any dampers as this will result having to call in a technician coming to rectify things.
Originally Posted by newinstru?
... Not sure how to make use of this info as I look at pianos. I guess if I pluck all of them near the top or front then I can make a fair comparison?
Unless you have a very trained ear, plucking will probably not be helpful in trying to evaluate pianos that you are looking at.
...just play 'em....

JG
N
OP Offline
N
I guess I kind of mAde it sound like I've been running Around plucking piano strings, but it was with permission, with my fingernail, to my own piano and 3 others, none new. I first did it to see what my piano sounded like without its terrible hammers getting in the way. But..... Your gentle admonition is duly noted and I will be good!

R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Supply
newinstru, it is generally not a good idea to pluck piano strings, and definitely not on a new instrument. Human hands have oils and acids which will corrode strings, tarnishing the plain steel strings and the copper wound bass strings. If you need to satisfy that plucking curiosity, you can use something like a guitar pick. Be careful not to dislodge or un-seat any dampers as this will result having to call in a technician coming to rectify things.
... Not sure how to make use of this info as I look at pianos. I guess if I pluck all of them near the top or front then I can make a fair comparison?
Unless you have a very trained ear, plucking will probably not be helpful in trying to evaluate pianos that you are looking at.
...just play 'em....

+1

A knowledgeable dealer will not thank you for touching anything inside a piano.

Unless you have long fingernails, the flesh will touch the string.

The dark stains from touching with the fingers take a few days to show.
It looks ugly and too much of it dulls the tone of a strong.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
You might be mindful that plucking strings on a piano with all the dampers removed will sustain nicely no matter what. Since there are no impediments to the entire sound board/string assembly reverberating, the sound will sustain an unusually long time.. Then again, it could be a wonderful instrument, but without any encumbrances, (Dampers) it would be hard to judge.

Dale Fox
Registered Piano Technician
Remanufacturing/Rebuilding
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Around plucking piano strings, but it was with permission, with my fingernail, to my own piano and 3 others, none new. I first did it to see what my piano sounded like without its terrible hammers getting in the way. But..... Your gentle admonition is duly noted and I will be good!

Previously, Max was doing just that.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Oh, lordy, spare us already..... please!

JG
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Good grief! sick

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Supply
Oh, lordy, spare us already..... please!

Such tsvikovka (a pluck) can make every adult man, if you look closely this film. Perhaps pianist standing next tell him (her) what to do
IN GOD WE TRUST

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission