Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
142 registered (accordeur, anamnesis, A Guy, acollins, ajames, 39 invisible), 1795 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2027807 - 02/06/13 01:15 AM Difference between Steinway "D" and Steinway "CD"
backto_study_piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Mention in another forum topic of the book on Glenn Gould's piano - "A Romance on Three Legs: Glenn Gould's Obsessive Quest for the Perfect Piano" had me searching for the book.

I found a review which, in part, stated "... Gould's greatest obsession of all was for a particular piano, a Steinway concert grand known as CD318 (C, meaning for the use of Steinway Concert Artists only, and D, denoting it as the ...).

What differences exist between a "D" and a "CD"?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2027813 - 02/06/13 01:30 AM Re: Difference between Steinway "D" and Steinway "CD" [Re: backto_study_piano]
kpembrook Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: backto_study_piano
Mention in another forum topic of the book on Glenn Gould's piano - "A Romance on Three Legs: Glenn Gould's Obsessive Quest for the Perfect Piano" had me searching for the book.

I found a review which, in part, stated "... Gould's greatest obsession of all was for a particular piano, a Steinway concert grand known as CD318 (C, meaning for the use of Steinway Concert Artists only, and D, denoting it as the ...).

What differences exist between a "D" and a "CD"?

"CD"s start as "D"s. One of the primary customers of the S&S factory is the Concert and Artist Department in Steinway Hall. (The Basement). The C&A people take the production D and do (at least some of) the things that other high quality technicians might do to tweak the piano into top condition. Oh, yes, C&A gets to "cherry pick" the factory production, too.
So . . . presumably the pianos will be specimens that are free of significant factory defects and are judged capable of being groomed into concert-ready instruments.

As far as design or anything in the production run, there is no difference.

#2027819 - 02/06/13 01:42 AM Re: Difference between Steinway "D" and Steinway "CD" [Re: kpembrook]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wow, I guess a properly prepared S&S gets it's own designation! Seems to me they should spend the time to properly prepare all their instruments.

Just curious, there's a local Steinway D that had gold numbers on the lid. I was told that it was the D that toured with Sinatra, but was kept at Steinway when not traveling. Is that a CD?

#2027870 - 02/06/13 04:18 AM Re: Difference between Steinway "D" and Steinway "CD" [Re: DanS]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: DanS
Wow, I guess a properly prepared S&S gets it's own designation! Seems to me they should spend the time to properly prepare all their instruments.

Doing concert level prep at any factory would be pointless because it would all get messed up during shipping, and even if it didn't, the end result may not be ideal for the location that the piano ends up in. It would also be cost prohibitive. All in all, Steinway is doing a pretty good job right now... so good that I've needed to find other things to complain about frown

Originally Posted By: DanS
Just curious, there's a local Steinway D that had gold numbers on the lid. I was told that it was the D that toured with Sinatra, but was kept at Steinway when not traveling. Is that a CD?

Presumably
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2027898 - 02/06/13 06:15 AM Re: Difference between Steinway "D" and Steinway "CD" [Re: backto_study_piano]
Rich Galassini Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Originally Posted By: BDB
Doing concert level prep at any factory would be pointless because it would all get messed up during shipping,

Funny, but Bosendorfer, Bechstein, Schimmel, Estonia, and others have no problem doing thorough prep. and then shipping their pianos all over the world. For a concert they do need some extra help, but I would hardly call their factory work pointless.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#2027950 - 02/06/13 08:21 AM Re: Difference between Steinway "D" and Steinway "CD" [Re: backto_study_piano]
backto_study_piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I requested my Grotrian be regulated up to concert standard before it left the factory - I was amazed at how good it was on arrival - much better than most high end pianos in dealerships which had supposedly had extensive preparation by the dealer.

#2027967 - 02/06/13 09:05 AM Re: Difference between Steinway "D" and Steinway "CD" [Re: backto_study_piano]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
There is an interesting book which deals with this very topic.

Piano - The Making of a Steinway Concert Grand
by: James Barron
copyright: 2006
publisher: Henry Holt and Co.

The book follows a single piano through its construction and also addresses the "C" designation, for which the piano was selected.

The book is a good read.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2028009 - 02/06/13 10:50 AM Re: Difference between Steinway "D" and Steinway "CD" [Re: Rich Galassini]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Originally Posted By: Rich Galassini
Doing concert level prep at any factory would be pointless because it would all get messed up during shipping,

Funny, but Bosendorfer, Bechstein, Schimmel, Estonia, and others have no problem doing thorough prep. and then shipping their pianos all over the world. For a concert they do need some extra help, but I would hardly call their factory work pointless.

I did not say that!

#2028020 - 02/06/13 11:10 AM Re: Difference between Steinway "D" and Steinway "CD" [Re: Minnesota Marty]
KurtZ Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
There is an interesting book which deals with this very topic.

Piano - The Making of a Steinway Concert Grand
by: James Barron
copyright: 2006
publisher: Henry Holt and Co.

The book follows a single piano through its construction and also addresses the "C" designation, for which the piano was selected.

there's also a good movie that covers the same topic along with thoughts from factory floor workers about what it means to them to work for Steinway. It also spends considerable time following several artist as they go through the selection process of the C and A stock.

"Note by Note. The Making of Steinway 1037" It's on the Netflix Streaming Service. I'm sure it can be had as a disk as well.

Another movie on Netflix Streaming is called "Pianomania" . It follows the routine of one of Steinway's european concert techs as he gets pianos ready for stage and recording. It's in german with subtitles.

Both of these were suggested to me (by Netflix) because I watched "The Pianist" with Adrien Brody.

Kurt

#2028110 - 02/06/13 01:24 PM Re: Difference between Steinway "D" and Steinway "CD" [Re: Rich Galassini]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Rich Galassini

I said that, not BDB. And there is a difference between thorough prep and concert prep. Please don't confuse the two.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2028689 - 02/07/13 11:27 AM Re: Difference between Steinway "D" and Steinway "CD" [Re: backto_study_piano]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
CD Model D's have many more opportunities to experience unintended gravitational accelerations.

#2028858 - 02/07/13 04:35 PM Re: Difference between Steinway "D" and Steinway "CD" [Re: backto_study_piano]
Airspeed Offline

Loc: Washington, D.C.
I hate to chip in here, but I am on the side of the critics on this one. When I go to a Steinway dealer, I find almost nothing I like (ok, not Ds, but Bs and As) and I always get the "we'll prep it for you any way you like". Then when I hear something from Germany or Austria, i think to myself "please don't prep ANYTHING on this, keep it just the way it is!"

A new B was purchased by an institution I know well, from a renowned old dealer, and the thing was gawd-awful. But - it is a Steinway! Now, five years later, they are STILL fixing it, and it is STILL gawd-awful.

None of what I say here applies to Hamburg.

I am not alone in this - I have a friend who is a concert pianist in Germany, and when he comes here to the US to perform he usually dreads the S&Ss he gets to play on. And he owns a Hamburg B! At one prestigious venue he wanted to swap out the new D for my Bösendorfer 200!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
It's Beethoven's birthday today...
by Polyphonist
16 minutes 23 seconds ago
Elbow pain
by acollins
Today at 12:49 PM
an interesting find . . .
by Michael Sayers
Today at 11:00 AM
Choosing a Beethoven sonata
by MusicDoc
Today at 10:48 AM
Synth/Keyboard beginner need help with equipment purchase
by Seraphmoon
Today at 10:40 AM
Forum Stats
77325 Members
42 Forums
159939 Topics
2348788 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission