Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
57 registered (AndyP, Anne H, 22 invisible), 1024 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2026677 - 02/04/13 03:29 AM Best playing by ear program
jared novio Offline

Hi all
I've been playing the piano since I was 11 but didn't progress to more substantial classical pieces until I was 15. I reached ABSRM level 6-7 but then stopped because I had an accident and didn't progress further. I'm 20 now.

Meanwhile I had flirted with other music, trying to compose a little, trying to play pieces I liked by ear, reading fake books or even sheet music for easier soundtracks. I have always been fascinated by people who could pick a melody by ear and then create a full sounding arrangement for it with amazing left-hand patterns and arpeggios and flicks but that wasn't the case for me, my left-hand patterns never progressed to more than boring repeated block chords and 2 octaves arpeggios and I never learned to use 7th, sus and other chords.

It has been more than a year since I've played the piano and now I want to start again, now that my arm is fully healed and maybe eventually I will get back to classical to progress on my ABSRM grades but for now I want to take it slowly and to have some fun in the process and would like to finally learn to play by ear like a pro.

I was wondering what program from the web would you think I should use to learn to play by ear properly? Or else, if you're an online teacher or would like to try your first experience at online teaching we could have a deal if you want to help me, that would be great.

Edited by jared novio (02/04/13 03:30 AM)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2026871 - 02/04/13 12:17 PM Re: Best playing by ear program [Re: jared novio]
dannac Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
I like to use "Transrcibe" to help me learn songs.
http://www.seventhstring.com

Check out the video of what this program teaches.
http://pianoforall.com/

Check the free videos at
http://www.playpianotoday.com/

#2027993 - 02/06/13 10:09 AM Re: Best playing by ear program [Re: jared novio]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
There is only one reply on this subject, so I will chime in with my novice comments.

Youtube is where a lot of people go. Search for a piano rendition of what a person wants to learn and start going through them. Audio quality is not the best, but almost all popular tunes are on there. Some that are not so strong with ear, will seek renditions where the fingering is shown or at least hinted at.

I recently found MuseScore, a free composition program. There is a user library chock full of uploads. For sight readers this can be a bridge of sorts. Find a score, download it, and then have MuseScore play it. The audio quality is low, but it can be enough to pick out the notes by ear. The good thing for sight readers is that the score is available if a person gets stuck.

I mention getting stuck because picking out melody lines can be extremely slow, especially for those that don't consider themselves to have good ears. It might take 30 minutes or more to pick out four bars of a simple melody line. Compare this to a Grade 7 sight reader that can glance at the sheet and play the melody line cleanly in 15 seconds. Do not get discouraged by the amount of time it takes, because it does get better. If a weak or average ear person expects ba-da-boom, instant like a strong sight reader gets with the sheet, they can become discouraged with their ear training.

In addition to melody lines, there are computer programs that train for chords, and intervals. If a person goes the teacher route, this sometimes becomes the focus of the ear training.

However, for most popular tunes and fake book renditions, finding the key, and the melody are plenty. Most experienced pianists can work out a chord progression or some kind of harmony. If not, some work with fake books will give a person some simple ideas. It won't sound fantastic or professional, but it will be recognizable as the popular song. With some work it will sound pretty good to casual audience.

#2028093 - 02/06/13 01:02 PM Re: Best playing by ear program [Re: jared novio]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is Yelp reliable for evaluating piano stores?
by Le Chiffre
12/21/14 02:08 AM
Guide to Teaching
by Arghhh
12/21/14 12:39 AM
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
12/20/14 10:24 PM
Merry Christmas from Brazil! Feliz Natal!!
by Piano_Brazil
12/20/14 09:19 PM
Rzewski: De Profundis
by pianoloverus
12/20/14 09:17 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160031 Topics
2350050 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission