Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2027435 - 02/05/13 12:59 PM Making Home Made Tempermant Strips and Wedge mutes
Kyle_G Offline

Loc: IL
Anyone out there have any ideas on how to make tempermant strips at home? I have been brainstorming a few Ideas but I dont think any will work. My biggest problem is finding the right kind of materials.

Also I would like to find a way to make some type of wedge mute.

-KG

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2027438 - 02/05/13 01:00 PM Re: Making Home Made Tempermant Strips and Wedge mutes [Re: Kyle_G]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
It would cost me more money in time than they cost to buy.

#2027442 - 02/05/13 01:11 PM Re: Making Home Made Tempermant Strips and Wedge mutes [Re: Kyle_G]
Mark Cerisano, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I use high quality felt used in automobile manufacturing. I think it is rated as a F1 but I can't remember. I then cut it into 36" strips and wash it in the washing machine with water and about 2 cups of rubbing alcohol. The felt is originally very tight and firm. The wasing produces a more fuzzy surface that mutes better.

The thickness is perfect for all pianos. The comercially available mute strips that I have bought in the past are way over priced and are too thick; they tend to move the strings sideways on the V-bar, and are way too wide for some bass strings. I had to force with too much pressure in my opinion, to get the felt in between those strings.

These are the felts I supply to all the students who take my beginner basic tuning course.

I supply standard rubber mutes for the course. Those are really inexpensive and work well so I don't bother.

#2027445 - 02/05/13 01:14 PM Re: Making Home Made Tempermant Strips and Wedge mutes [Re: BDB]
Kyle_G Offline

Originally Posted By: BDB

Hmm... Well I gusse I sould focus on what most techs have laying around their shop. I have some bellows cloth and gasket leather laying around from some work I did on a player piano. I was thinking make strips of leather back them with cloth then mayben add some felt on top of the leather or just use the leather alone.

-KG

#2027533 - 02/05/13 03:50 PM Re: Making Home Made Tempermant Strips and Wedge mutes [Re: Kyle_G]
Dan Casdorph Online   content

Loc: Morgantown, West Virginia
Schaff has standard, thin, and extra thin temperament strips for a few dollars each. Why would someone not buy them?
All pianos are bald ones.

#2027560 - 02/05/13 04:40 PM Re: Making Home Made Tempermant Strips and Wedge mutes [Re: Kyle_G]
1000 Post Club Member

Where I am in Canada, we only have one supplier. They only have one style of mute strip and they cost about $10 each.

#2027673 - 02/05/13 07:53 PM Re: Making Home Made Tempermant Strips and Wedge mutes [Re: Kyle_G]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: Mark Cerisano, RPT
Where I am in Canada, we only have one supplier.
....ahem....
Last I checked, British Columbia is still in Canada....
For almost ten years, Piano Forte Supply has established an international reputation as the go-to place for professionals looking for quality piano tools and felts.
Temperament strips are here.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2027733 - 02/05/13 09:46 PM Re: Making Home Made Tempermant Strips and Wedge mutes [Re: Kyle_G]
1000 Post Club Member

Sorry, Jurgen. I am in Quebec. I have never purchased tools from you. Pianophile is right here in Brossard. I am very happy with the strips I make and I get to resell them at a modest profit, yet still for a good price. I will check out your site. Thanks.

#2027735 - 02/05/13 09:49 PM Re: Making Home Made Tempermant Strips and Wedge mutes [Re: Kyle_G]
1000 Post Club Member

I went to your site. Very nice. Can you send me a price list? I gave a course in Vancouver last summer and it would be nice to be able to buy tools there instead of carting them on the plane.

Thanks.

#2027749 - 02/05/13 10:37 PM Re: Making Home Made Tempermant Strips and Wedge mutes [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
DoelKees Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Originally Posted By: Mark Cerisano, RPT
Where I am in Canada, we only have one supplier. They only have one style of mute strip and they cost about $10 each.

I get mine from PianoSupplies.com (2 thicknesses) for $6.95.

Kees

#2027841 - 02/06/13 03:04 AM Re: Making Home Made Tempermant Strips and Wedge mutes [Re: Dan Casdorph]
Mark R. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
Originally Posted By: Dan Casdorph
Schaff has standard, thin, and extra thin temperament strips for a few dollars each. Why would someone not buy them?

Here's why I didn't: I was advised by Bill Bremmer not to buy Schaff's temperament strip. He said that they are not very durable. Instead, he suggested I buy some medium action cloth (item 317G). In terms of price, all of them are around $4.

I'm quite happy with the action cloth - it's certainly durable enough. It's rated at 2.8 mm, but because of its tight weave, it's a bit thick for closely-spaced unisons, especially if I want to use it in the bass. I might buy a strip of thin action cloth (317-1/2G) on my next order. That one is specced at 1.8 mm.

1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.

#2027998 - 02/06/13 10:17 AM Re: Making Home Made Tempermant Strips and Wedge mutes [Re: Kyle_G]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

There is J.D. Grandt piano supplies in Toronto. John Schienke also manufactures bass strings. Ari Isaac is another Canadian supplier of piano parts.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#2028408 - 02/06/13 10:13 PM Re: Making Home Made Tempermant Strips and Wedge mutes [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
Kyle_G Offline

Well I decided to suck it up and just buy some temperament strips. I also bought a new tuning hammer. Needed to upgrade from my old goose neck one. But in the meantime I will keep trying to make some economical homemade mute.

Thanks everyone

-KG

#2028426 - 02/06/13 10:48 PM Re: Making Home Made Tempermant Strips and Wedge mutes [Re: Mark R.]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Originally Posted By: Mark R.
Originally Posted By: Dan Casdorph

Here's why I didn't: I was advised by Bill Bremmer not to buy Schaff's temperament strip. He said that they are not very durable. Instead, he suggested I buy some medium action cloth (item 317G). In terms of price, all of them are around $4.

I'm quite happy with the action cloth - it's certainly durable enough. It's rated at 2.8 mm, but because of its tight weave, it's a bit thick for closely-spaced unisons, especially if I want to use it in the bass. I might buy a strip of thin action cloth (317-1/2G) on my next order. That one is specced at 1.8 mm.

...Because it is *cloth*, not felt... Meaning, woven cloth is more durable than pressed felt. (That's a Schaff item number, right Mark?) It's great for muting the three-strings. It works on some bi-chord wound bass stings, too, but I agree, Mark, that thinner might do for some wound bass gaps. I've been having better luck just using rubber wedges on the bi-chords...

Here are some pictures of Bill using the cloth on the wires:

And speaking of wedges,

Originally Posted By: Kyle_G
Originally Posted By: BDB

Hmm... Well I gusse I sould focus on what most techs have laying around their shop. I have some bellows cloth and gasket leather laying around from some work I did on a player piano. I was thinking make strips of leather back them with cloth then mayben add some felt on top of the leather or just use the leather alone.

-KG

I was thinking about doubling up some plumber's gasket, but wedges are so darned cheap to buy, why not just buy them? Even the ones with handles are cheap!!! crazy

Edited by Cinnamonbear (02/06/13 10:50 PM)

#2028995 - 02/07/13 08:38 PM Re: Making Home Made Tempermant Strips and Wedge mutes [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Jim Moy Offline

Loc: Fort Collins - Loveland, CO
Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear
...Here are some pictures of Bill using the cloth on the wires:...

I use the same action cloth, but I cut it down the middle length-wise for the treble, easier to work with up in the high treble, easier to get under and out from under the dampers.

I also have about 12" of the really thin action cloth for bi-chords that are close, which is plenty since there usually aren't too many of those. The thinner white cloth works for me in the rest of the bass and tenor too.
http://www.moypiano.com

#2030442 - 02/10/13 12:05 PM Re: Making Home Made Tempermant Strips and Wedge mutes [Re: Kyle_G]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Jim, I also cut the action cloth in half. I combine Medium and thin strips together for a better fit in the tenor sections. Combining a used with an new works best. I have my ex-mom-in-law sew them together; or it's easy enough to hold the two together when installing.

#2035909 - 02/19/13 02:36 PM Re: Making Home Made Tempermant Strips and Wedge mutes [Re: Kyle_G]
Goof Offline

Loc: UK
What works really well, and costs nothing, are strips cut on the radius from a car/truck inner tube!Obviously you can cut them any width you wish. I should think any tyre refiiter should have a damaged tyre to give you. I found mine along side the road when out for a walk.

#2036356 - 02/20/13 11:08 AM Re: Making Home Made Tempermant Strips and Wedge mutes [Re: Kyle_G]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
My mentors where mostly using a strip of thick leather moistened and hammered to thin the ends. Makes a supple wedge, easy to use and efficient. I don t recall if the leather have to be oiled a tad but I guess no.

Edited by Olek (02/20/13 04:50 PM)

#2036367 - 02/20/13 11:30 AM Re: Making Home Made Tempermant Strips and Wedge mutes [Re: Goof]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: Goof
What works really well, and costs nothing, are strips cut on the radius from a car/truck inner tube!Obviously you can cut them any width you wish. I should think any tyre refiiter should have a damaged tyre to give you. I found mine along side the road when out for a walk.
I think I have a few old tires laying around here. Do you pick up? Maybe there is some money to be made for you... you know, selling tuning strips from old inner tubes? thumb

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2036368 - 02/20/13 11:31 AM Re: Making Home Made Tempermant Strips and Wedge mutes [Re: Kyle_G]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
This would get you started.

As Alfred E. Neuman used to say - "Cheap"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Piano-Tuning-Mut...=item1c302a7eab

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2036534 - 02/20/13 04:53 PM Re: Making Home Made Tempermant Strips and Wedge mutes [Re: Kyle_G]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
the black rubber is not always ideal as some of them will mark on the dampers . Felt is nice but a little thick for verticals.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha UX vs WX
by goldmund
10/25/14 11:34 AM
Need help with chords
by Shirz
10/25/14 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
10/25/14 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
10/25/14 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
10/24/14 11:57 PM
Who's Online
121 registered (accordeur, anotherscott, Al LaPorte, anamnesis, 36 invisible), 1450 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76651 Members
42 Forums
158488 Topics
2327524 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission