Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2027939 - 02/06/13 08:00 AM Your very best memory as a pianist.?
Sandra M Offline

My best memory was when a Steinway concert artist was my new teacher and he wrote excellent on my first performance sheet music when I ended the selection. I was shocked and so very happy. Sandra M...

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2027983 - 02/06/13 09:42 AM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: Sandra M]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Mine was my very first performance ever. I performed Maple Leaf Rag on a 7 foot Schimmel for my Beginner Piano class in 10th grad. The teacher was so impressed. It was really a good day for me.

Besides good performances, I don't really just have a truck full of good memories to go sifting through... but I CAN mention a good general experience. I love when I learn a 'clustered' piece and I get to reveal how the composer has created this sound note by note. Getting to look at all the nooks and crannies of the piece. And what seemed like a blur of sound turns into of bunch of details that you are now conscious of. THAT feeling is amazing.

#2028045 - 02/06/13 11:59 AM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: Sandra M]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Mine was when I gave a lecture-recital to the staff at a hospital about 10 years ago. It was back to basics, and I assumed nobody knew anything about classical music (though it turned out a nurse there played the flute). I put together some tuneful pieces (starting with Bach), including a few transcriptions I made myself of orchestral and opera excerpts, and songs (including Mozart's K550 and arias from his and Puccini's operas, and Schubert's An die Musik - following Gerald Moore's example), plus talking about how music evolved through the centuries, and ending with Rachmaninoff's G minor Prelude.

Normally those lectures (on all sorts of non-medical subjects, from photography to gardening) at the hospital don't elicit applause, but I was treated to a long one (despite over-running my allotted time by half an hour); but even more heartening was when several people came up to me afterwards to say that they've been inspired to start listening to classical music, and asked me to recommend some CD recordings, especially of the music I'd played.

#2028073 - 02/06/13 12:37 PM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: bennevis]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Originally Posted By: bennevis
Mine was when I gave a lecture-recital to the staff at a hospital about 10 years ago. It was back to basics, and I assumed nobody knew anything about classical music (though it turned out a nurse there played the flute). I put together some tuneful pieces (starting with Bach), including a few transcriptions I made myself of orchestral and opera excerpts, and songs (including Mozart's K550 and arias from his and Puccini's operas, and Schubert's An die Musik - following Gerald Moore's example), plus talking about how music evolved through the centuries, and ending with Rachmaninoff's G minor Prelude.

Normally those lectures (on all sorts of non-medical subjects, from photography to gardening) at the hospital don't elicit applause, but I was treated to a long one (despite over-running my allotted time by half an hour); but even more heartening was when several people came up to me afterwards to say that they've been inspired to start listening to classical music, and asked me to recommend some CD recordings, especially of the music I'd played.

That's excellent!!! It's a great way to get people interested in this genre. It's too bad that most folk think listening to classical music is like a punishment. But it's like learning to read - once you get through the stage of learning the alphabet and take the time to go through that sometimes tedious process, you can enjoy so many captivating books and it opens up a completely new world. And with this, I feel it's similar... you have to take a bit of time and have patience to understand some of the more complex music (sometimes not! Anyone can enjoy a Chopin nocturne), and experiencing this music takes on a new level of enrichment. It allows you to feel such a wonderful range of emotions, which is the essence of being human... and we all strive to find this almost spiritual but imperative particle of life.

Oops, didn't mean to rant.

My greatest experience..... well there are a few, and they're mostly too personal to share. But a certain performance comes to mind, Prokofiev op. 80, at the most beautiful hall on the most beautiful Hamburg Steinway, with some of the most inspiring musicians in the audience. At my favorite place in the world. That was quite special for me.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2028104 - 02/06/13 01:13 PM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: Sandra M]
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
When I become a pianist, I'll let you know.

Regards,

#2028162 - 02/06/13 03:01 PM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: Sandra M]
LiorMoskoPiano Offline

When I played 2 years I entered a piano compotition and play liszt liebestraum and debussy clair de lune, and I played it quite alright, and when I was done one of the jury stood up and said "I think there is a mistake it is wrriten that ur playing for 2 years" and I felt so proud!!

#2028164 - 02/06/13 03:03 PM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: Sandra M]
Auntie Lynn Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I thought you'd never ask...I was six years old. I had on a red and white taffeta striped dress, black Mary Janes with lacy socks and a head full of Shirley Temple curls. I played that memorable classic "The Waltz of the Toys" and rose from the bench to thunderous applause. I sez to myself: "Wow, this is the life for me!!" The rest is history...

#2028189 - 02/06/13 03:38 PM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: Sandra M]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
I played Chopin's Barcarolle for a talent show in my senior year of high school. I heard a feigned snoring sound at the beginning as I started the swaying left hand figure, but pretty soon everyone was silent, until the end when I got an ovation unlike anything I could have expected. Hardly any of them had any idea of my capabilities until I played for them on stage, and from then on everything was totally different there..

#2028216 - 02/06/13 04:18 PM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: jeffreyjones]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jeffreyjones
I played Chopin's Barcarolle for a talent show in my senior year of high school. I heard a feigned snoring sound at the beginning as I started the swaying left hand figure, but pretty soon everyone was silent, until the end when I got an ovation unlike anything I could have expected. Hardly any of them had any idea of my capabilities until I played for them on stage, and from then on everything was totally different there..

Do you have any recordings?

#2028263 - 02/06/13 05:41 PM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: jeffreyjones]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: jeffreyjones
I played Chopin's Barcarolle for a talent show in my senior year of high school. I heard a feigned snoring sound at the beginning as I started the swaying left hand figure, but pretty soon everyone was silent, until the end when I got an ovation unlike anything I could have expected. Hardly any of them had any idea of my capabilities until I played for them on stage, and from then on everything was totally different there.
That is very moving story, and it reminded me of two somewhat similar stories.

1. At the all boys high school I used to teach at one of the students who was, unknown to most I think, a serious ballet/dance student did a solo ballet performance at some kind of assembly and the students went crazy.

2. Although I'm guessing the students at this high school graduation already knew about this cellist's phenomenal talent, their rapt silence and tremendous applause is very exciting to witness:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCLDsY8izIM

Chan's YouTube site is quite amazing. He is presently in the joint Columbia-Julliard program (like Conrad Tao).

http://www.youtube.com/user/nathanchancello?feature=watch

#2028266 - 02/06/13 05:45 PM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: pianoloverus]
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus

2. Although I'm guessing the students at this high school graduation already knew about this cellist's phenomenal talent, their rapt silence and tremendous applause is very exciting to witness:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCLDsY8izIM

Chan's YouTube site is quite amazing. He is presently in the joint Columbia-Julliard program (like Conrad Tao).

One of my friends (cellist) knows Nathan Chan very well!

I played some 2nd movement of a cello sonata with her at my high school's baccalaureate ceremony but the applause was nothing out of the ordinary frown

Some part of me kinda wishes I played something extremely flashy to shock the audience (no one knew I played piano). I didn't for a reason, but I kinda wanted to see the look on people's faces if I had.

Edited by trigalg693 (02/06/13 05:50 PM)

#2028293 - 02/06/13 06:33 PM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: Sandra M]
Sandra M Offline

Hello and I am smiling reading your stories of your best memories as a pianist as they warm my heart. Thank you and please tell more. If you are not concert level please share too. I jumped ship at the door of advanced classical piano and went to one year of improv lessons and another year of jazz. I wanted to create more than go to concert level of classical piano. The Steinway concert artist I studied with was off the curcuit for a year and was hired by me, Brian Brooks, and he taught me more advanced techniques of playing and listened to my improv to give me pointers to advance. The selection I played for him Unchained Melody which is easy as you know but note for note as he wanted to know what level I was he told me. After that I played mostly Big Band, my own improv and he gave me excellent information. I love hearing the advanced classical performers and so appreciate you. Sandra M

Edited by Sandra M (02/06/13 06:34 PM)

#2028299 - 02/06/13 06:45 PM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: Auntie Lynn]
Sandra M Offline

Love your story and still laughing out loud as
I relate. That was a life changing moment for you and thank you for sharing. Sandra M

#2028384 - 02/06/13 09:10 PM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: Sandra M]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Okay, Sandra M, I give.

This is a refreshing type of thread to see in Pianist Corner.

This is more of an Adult Beginner forum thing, but maybe my best experience at the piano has been that, recently, after literally decades of believing I was incapable of memorizing music, I -forced- myself over the course of a year to memorize a trifle of a rag, James Scott's "Ophelia Rag," including a complete custom variation of the B section (which I also had never done before).

I don't even know how to communicate it to you guys, because I think this will be foreign to the folks who frequent this particular forum:

What this means is

1) if I'm around a piano
2) and the topic of piano comes up
3) and I mention that I can play piano
4) and someone asks me to play something
5) instead of being looked at with raised and skeptical eyebrow if I say "I can play the piano but I can't play a single note without printed music" [which was literally true]
6) I get to *try* to play something and might be able to do it, if I am fortunate enough to master crippling performance jitters that day (see other thread)

I guess it gave me ... hope?

Regardless, it was a good and memorable day when I played it through.

Small steps.

#2028423 - 02/06/13 10:43 PM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: Sandra M]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
Three years ago. I played Chopin's Op. 15, No.2 in a recital. It was the first time I had played publicly in 40 years. (Up until a few years before this recital I didn't own a piano, hadn't played since high school and thought I would probably never play again.)

#2028429 - 02/06/13 11:14 PM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: Sandra M]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
When I was asked to switch places with the conductor!

#2028440 - 02/06/13 11:36 PM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: Sandra M]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Two stories, actually:

1. Senior year in high school, playing Victor Borge's arrangement of the Hungarian Rhapsody No 2 with someone who was a close friend at the time. (Then, doing some of our own stuff afterwards.)

2. Performing the Rach 2 with Drexel University's string ensemble 8 years ago. Still one of my favorite moments. I love performing with a group, because it adds so much to the music when you are the performer. When listening, I don't really have a preference, but when playing, I would much rather play with an orchestra than perform solo. I just love the way the piano sound fits into the orchestra. smile

#2028554 - 02/07/13 05:40 AM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: Derulux]
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
The first time I heard the freedom and transporting power of really good improvisation first-hand. It was at my audition for lessons with my second teacher, and after rather sad reactions to my playing pieces he sat down and produced this astonishing sound while I stared despondently out the window, waiting for the rejection. The music flew deeply into my brain. Traumatic learning.

"What on earth was that ?"
"Don't know, wouldn't have a clue."
Then after an uncomfortably long, staring pause, "I suppose I had better take you on then."

Edited by Ted (02/07/13 05:41 AM)

#2029102 - 02/08/13 01:30 AM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: Sandra M]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I finally gave a performance which I'm pretty satisfied with. I will post recordings soon - Chopin's 4th Ballade, Schumann-Liszt "Widmung" and Ravel's Pavane pour une infante defunte. Un Sospiro wasn't great so that won't show up here..
Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonata no.1

#2029118 - 02/08/13 02:46 AM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: Kuanpiano]
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano
I finally gave a performance which I'm pretty satisfied with.

Hahahaha I know that feel, even though I haven't given a performance which I'm satisfied with yet, but I've gotten close. Can't wait for the day...

#2029170 - 02/08/13 06:28 AM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: trigalg693]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: trigalg693
I finally gave a performance which I'm pretty satisfied with.

Hahahaha I know that feel, even though I haven't given a performance which I'm satisfied with yet, but I've gotten close. Can't wait for the day...

Hahaa, I think my standards are getting lower, because I'm not able to study music regularly. But I think what I felt from the audience while performing, and also from listening to the subsequent recordings, was a good presentation of the music, and a sense of communication between myself and the listener. I've sort of given up on trying to hit right notes anymore laugh.
Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonata no.1

#2029174 - 02/08/13 06:58 AM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: Kuanpiano]
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I've sort of given up on trying to hit right notes anymore laugh.

LOL I'm exactly the same. I played a recital with Scriabin 2,5 and a Liszt etude and I had 3 memory slips and my fingers completely failed in the second movement of Scriabin 2, but I didn't think it was too horrible and the audience seemed to love it. Then I went back and listened to some of my old recordings that I thought were equally horrible, but to my surprise they sounded extremely clean and masterful. I couldn't even pick out all the wrong notes anymore.

These days I'm just really happy if I can pound out the pieces with no memory slips, and not more than a few very obvious wrong notes.

Edited by trigalg693 (02/08/13 07:01 AM)

#2029206 - 02/08/13 08:43 AM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: Kuanpiano]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
I've sort of given up on trying to hit right notes anymore laugh.

Me too!! I'm at the point where I'll run through something in tempo, and be like... "eh.. close enough." Basically if I don't collapse, it's been a good day.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2029234 - 02/08/13 10:29 AM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: Sandra M]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I would say my very best is when I was 15, and playing the accompaniment to Vaughan William's Songs of Travel cycle at home. My grandfather lived with us and he came into the living room when I had finished "I have trod the upward and the downward slope" and said to me, "You know you really play beautifully." He died soon after that, but his unsolicited words meant the world to me.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2029421 - 02/08/13 05:27 PM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: Sandra M]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
My best memory as a pianist is not really a pianistic memory so to speak, nor is it a singular happening, but a recurring one that I'm lucky enough to have visited upon me on a daily basis. When I'm finished practising, my best little friend comes and jumps up in my lap...stretches out... paws on either side of my neck and covers my face in sweet little kisses. No memory I've had as a pianist comes close to those moments.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2029423 - 02/08/13 05:35 PM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: stores]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: stores
My best memory as a pianist is not really a pianistic memory so to speak, nor is it a singular happening, but a recurring one that I'm lucky enough to have visited upon me on a daily basis. When I'm finished practising, my best little friend comes and jumps up in my lap...stretches out... paws on either side of my neck and covers my face in sweet little kisses. No memory I've had as a pianist comes close to those moments.

We all could use little friends like that !!!!! thumb

Edited by carey (02/08/13 05:36 PM)

#2029433 - 02/08/13 06:11 PM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: Sandra M]
Dave Horne Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Thirty some years ago I was a jazz pianist in a military big band. We played a concert close to where we all lived and I didn't expect this woman to show up. We had dated for a while and then went our separate ways. It was a beautiful summer evening and during the concert this beautiful creature in a thin summer dress stood in front of the band and made eye contact with me. That made my evening.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2029622 - 02/09/13 02:03 AM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: Sandra M]
John Pels Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tomball, Texas
Two fabulous days in my personal annals of piano playing. The first was playing a master class for Eugene List which was a little strange because it was set up as theatre in the round. The lid was off the piano and spatially it sounded strange to me. I played the Ginastera Sonata and Eugene turned to me and said "That was just the way it should be played!" "Would you please play us the last movement one more time?" I obliged. The second was playing the Tchaikowsky concerto with the college orchestra which was to me a life experience only eclipsed by witnessing the birth of my two kids. Accompanying my wife in the 4 Last Songs of Strauss is always an emotional rush of grand proportions especially the 3rd song. You have to have been happily married for a good many years to apprehend why.

Good times indeed. Music is just too marvelous for words sometimes.

#2029669 - 02/09/13 06:08 AM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: Pogorelich.]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.

My greatest experience..... well there are a few, and they're mostly too personal to share.

Speaking of "too personal to share" - I typed up a response for this thread last night, and it made me burst into tears. After that, I thought, "Well, no, I guess I can't post that."

#2029681 - 02/09/13 06:36 AM Re: Your very best memory as a pianist.? [Re: Sandra M]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Actually, I'd say my best was playing a Steinway D for the first time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
168 registered (accordeur, Alex1, ajames, AmateurBob, 38 invisible), 1892 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75516 Members
42 Forums
156163 Topics
2293320 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai K200
by Vidsin
Today at 02:46 PM
Medelssohn on meaning in music
by phantomFive
Today at 01:52 PM
Correcting Heavy Piano Touchweight in Grand Pianos
by Paul678
Today at 01:39 PM
[AMAZING PIANO COMP.] Anyone able to transcribe it from ear?
by Weakky
Today at 12:29 PM
[AMAZING PIANO COMP.] Anyone able to transcribe it from ear?
by Weakky
Today at 12:21 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission