2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brennbaer, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
My best memory was when a Steinway concert artist was my new teacher and he wrote excellent on my first performance sheet music when I ended the selection. I was shocked and so very happy. Sandra M...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Mine was my very first performance ever. I performed Maple Leaf Rag on a 7 foot Schimmel for my Beginner Piano class in 10th grad. The teacher was so impressed. It was really a good day for me.

Besides good performances, I don't really just have a truck full of good memories to go sifting through... but I CAN mention a good general experience. I love when I learn a 'clustered' piece and I get to reveal how the composer has created this sound note by note. Getting to look at all the nooks and crannies of the piece. And what seemed like a blur of sound turns into of bunch of details that you are now conscious of. THAT feeling is amazing.

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Mine was when I gave a lecture-recital to the staff at a hospital about 10 years ago. It was back to basics, and I assumed nobody knew anything about classical music (though it turned out a nurse there played the flute). I put together some tuneful pieces (starting with Bach), including a few transcriptions I made myself of orchestral and opera excerpts, and songs (including Mozart's K550 and arias from his and Puccini's operas, and Schubert's An die Musik - following Gerald Moore's example), plus talking about how music evolved through the centuries, and ending with Rachmaninoff's G minor Prelude.

Normally those lectures (on all sorts of non-medical subjects, from photography to gardening) at the hospital don't elicit applause, but I was treated to a long one (despite over-running my allotted time by half an hour); but even more heartening was when several people came up to me afterwards to say that they've been inspired to start listening to classical music, and asked me to recommend some CD recordings, especially of the music I'd played.

If music be the food of love, play on!
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
Mine was when I gave a lecture-recital to the staff at a hospital about 10 years ago. It was back to basics, and I assumed nobody knew anything about classical music (though it turned out a nurse there played the flute). I put together some tuneful pieces (starting with Bach), including a few transcriptions I made myself of orchestral and opera excerpts, and songs (including Mozart's K550 and arias from his and Puccini's operas, and Schubert's An die Musik - following Gerald Moore's example), plus talking about how music evolved through the centuries, and ending with Rachmaninoff's G minor Prelude.

Normally those lectures (on all sorts of non-medical subjects, from photography to gardening) at the hospital don't elicit applause, but I was treated to a long one (despite over-running my allotted time by half an hour); but even more heartening was when several people came up to me afterwards to say that they've been inspired to start listening to classical music, and asked me to recommend some CD recordings, especially of the music I'd played.

That's excellent!!! It's a great way to get people interested in this genre. It's too bad that most folk think listening to classical music is like a punishment. But it's like learning to read - once you get through the stage of learning the alphabet and take the time to go through that sometimes tedious process, you can enjoy so many captivating books and it opens up a completely new world. And with this, I feel it's similar... you have to take a bit of time and have patience to understand some of the more complex music (sometimes not! Anyone can enjoy a Chopin nocturne), and experiencing this music takes on a new level of enrichment. It allows you to feel such a wonderful range of emotions, which is the essence of being human... and we all strive to find this almost spiritual but imperative particle of life.

Oops, didn't mean to rant.

My greatest experience..... well there are a few, and they're mostly too personal to share. But a certain performance comes to mind, Prokofiev op. 80, at the most beautiful hall on the most beautiful Hamburg Steinway, with some of the most inspiring musicians in the audience. At my favorite place in the world. That was quite special for me.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
When I become a pianist, I'll let you know.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
L
L
When I played 2 years I entered a piano compotition and play liszt liebestraum and debussy clair de lune, and I played it quite alright, and when I was done one of the jury stood up and said "I think there is a mistake it is wrriten that ur playing for 2 years" and I felt so proud!!

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I thought you'd never ask...I was six years old. I had on a red and white taffeta striped dress, black Mary Janes with lacy socks and a head full of Shirley Temple curls. I played that memorable classic "The Waltz of the Toys" and rose from the bench to thunderous applause. I sez to myself: "Wow, this is the life for me!!" The rest is history...

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I played Chopin's Barcarolle for a talent show in my senior year of high school. I heard a feigned snoring sound at the beginning as I started the swaying left hand figure, but pretty soon everyone was silent, until the end when I got an ovation unlike anything I could have expected. Hardly any of them had any idea of my capabilities until I played for them on stage, and from then on everything was totally different there..

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
I played Chopin's Barcarolle for a talent show in my senior year of high school. I heard a feigned snoring sound at the beginning as I started the swaying left hand figure, but pretty soon everyone was silent, until the end when I got an ovation unlike anything I could have expected. Hardly any of them had any idea of my capabilities until I played for them on stage, and from then on everything was totally different there..

Do you have any recordings?

Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
I played Chopin's Barcarolle for a talent show in my senior year of high school. I heard a feigned snoring sound at the beginning as I started the swaying left hand figure, but pretty soon everyone was silent, until the end when I got an ovation unlike anything I could have expected. Hardly any of them had any idea of my capabilities until I played for them on stage, and from then on everything was totally different there.
That is very moving story, and it reminded me of two somewhat similar stories.

1. At the all boys high school I used to teach at one of the students who was, unknown to most I think, a serious ballet/dance student did a solo ballet performance at some kind of assembly and the students went crazy.

2. Although I'm guessing the students at this high school graduation already knew about this cellist's phenomenal talent, their rapt silence and tremendous applause is very exciting to witness:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCLDsY8izIM

Chan's YouTube site is quite amazing. He is presently in the joint Columbia-Julliard program (like Conrad Tao).

http://www.youtube.com/user/nathanchancello?feature=watch

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

2. Although I'm guessing the students at this high school graduation already knew about this cellist's phenomenal talent, their rapt silence and tremendous applause is very exciting to witness:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCLDsY8izIM

Chan's YouTube site is quite amazing. He is presently in the joint Columbia-Julliard program (like Conrad Tao).

One of my friends (cellist) knows Nathan Chan very well!

I played some 2nd movement of a cello sonata with her at my high school's baccalaureate ceremony but the applause was nothing out of the ordinary frown

Some part of me kinda wishes I played something extremely flashy to shock the audience (no one knew I played piano). I didn't for a reason, but I kinda wanted to see the look on people's faces if I had.

Last edited by trigalg693; 02/06/13 06:50 PM.
S
OP Offline
S
Hello and I am smiling reading your stories of your best memories as a pianist as they warm my heart. Thank you and please tell more. If you are not concert level please share too. I jumped ship at the door of advanced classical piano and went to one year of improv lessons and another year of jazz. I wanted to create more than go to concert level of classical piano. The Steinway concert artist I studied with was off the curcuit for a year and was hired by me, Brian Brooks, and he taught me more advanced techniques of playing and listened to my improv to give me pointers to advance. The selection I played for him Unchained Melody which is easy as you know but note for note as he wanted to know what level I was he told me. After that I played mostly Big Band, my own improv and he gave me excellent information. I love hearing the advanced classical performers and so appreciate you. Sandra M

Last edited by Sandra M; 02/06/13 07:34 PM.
S
OP Offline
S
Love your story and still laughing out loud as
I relate. That was a life changing moment for you and thank you for sharing. Sandra M

W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Okay, Sandra M, I give.

This is a refreshing type of thread to see in Pianist Corner.

This is more of an Adult Beginner forum thing, but maybe my best experience at the piano has been that, recently, after literally decades of believing I was incapable of memorizing music, I -forced- myself over the course of a year to memorize a trifle of a rag, James Scott's "Ophelia Rag," including a complete custom variation of the B section (which I also had never done before).

I don't even know how to communicate it to you guys, because I think this will be foreign to the folks who frequent this particular forum:

What this means is

1) if I'm around a piano
2) and the topic of piano comes up
3) and I mention that I can play piano
4) and someone asks me to play something
5) instead of being looked at with raised and skeptical eyebrow if I say "I can play the piano but I can't play a single note without printed music" [which was literally true]
6) I get to *try* to play something and might be able to do it, if I am fortunate enough to master crippling performance jitters that day (see other thread)

I guess it gave me ... hope?

Regardless, it was a good and memorable day when I played it through.

Small steps.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Three years ago. I played Chopin's Op. 15, No.2 in a recital. It was the first time I had played publicly in 40 years. (Up until a few years before this recital I didn't own a piano, hadn't played since high school and thought I would probably never play again.)

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
When I was asked to switch places with the conductor!

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Two stories, actually:

1. Senior year in high school, playing Victor Borge's arrangement of the Hungarian Rhapsody No 2 with someone who was a close friend at the time. (Then, doing some of our own stuff afterwards.)

2. Performing the Rach 2 with Drexel University's string ensemble 8 years ago. Still one of my favorite moments. I love performing with a group, because it adds so much to the music when you are the performer. When listening, I don't really have a preference, but when playing, I would much rather play with an orchestra than perform solo. I just love the way the piano sound fits into the orchestra. smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
The first time I heard the freedom and transporting power of really good improvisation first-hand. It was at my audition for lessons with my second teacher, and after rather sad reactions to my playing pieces he sat down and produced this astonishing sound while I stared despondently out the window, waiting for the rejection. The music flew deeply into my brain. Traumatic learning.

"What on earth was that ?"
"Don't know, wouldn't have a clue."
Then after an uncomfortably long, staring pause, "I suppose I had better take you on then."

Last edited by Ted; 02/07/13 06:41 AM.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I finally gave a performance which I'm pretty satisfied with. I will post recordings soon - Chopin's 4th Ballade, Schumann-Liszt "Widmung" and Ravel's Pavane pour une infante defunte. Un Sospiro wasn't great so that won't show up here..

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
I finally gave a performance which I'm pretty satisfied with.

Hahahaha I know that feel, even though I haven't given a performance which I'm satisfied with yet, but I've gotten close. Can't wait for the day...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission