2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 40 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 39 40
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mah115
Does anybody know what the compressor/sound focus actually does to the waveform?

[Linked Image]
Figure 1. Spectral pan view of the file. The stereo image is obviously fairly collapsed.

[Linked Image]
Figure 2. Waveform view of the file. It's pretty clear that the sound is compressed (and boosted).

M
M
Oooh, cool. So they mono'ed it, compressed it, and upped the volume?

I still don't think that both compression and sound focus each deserved a knob. I'm starting to think that this design was driven by their marketing department rather than engineering.

I've always been amused by how many of these "effects" come from artifacts or distortion. A lot of engineers are trying really hard to get rid of them, and another lot are trying to put them back in.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S

When I turn it on, it sounds like I've stuck my head into the piano.

Technically, it's the opposite - it sounds like you are listening to the piano from a long way way, because it sounds very mono. If you stick your head inside the piano, it will sound MORE stereo than normal. (of course, the piano would never sound that clear when listening from such a great distance)

Does it have a standard mono output as well, in addition to the Sound Focus function? (I assume so)

Greg.

M
M
There's 2 outputs for speakers on the back: "R" and "L/mono

When you stick your head into the piano, the whole soundboard is resonating and your ears are drowning in the sound. I maybe that's supposed to make it sound "closer" and thus rise up above the rest of the ensemble?

BTW, the Ivory Feel keys seem to have changed, but I'm not sure. I seem to remember that on the HP-207 I tested two years ago the keys felt more like very fine sandpaper or unglazed porcelain, but on the NX they're more like polished wood (which I prefer). Has anyone else noticed that, or am I imagining things?

BTW, the Ivory Feel keys seem to have changed, but I'm not sure. I seem to remember that on the HP-207 I tested two years ago the keys felt more like very fine sandpaper or unglazed porcelain, but on the NX they're more like polished wood (which I prefer). Has anyone else noticed that, or am I imagining things?

Yeah to me they do seem a little smoother than on the 700GX

Roland FP-90X, Kronos2-61
D
D
I also believe roland has changed the ivory-feel keys. Might be their answer to that key-wear-issue.
The sound-focus-feature reduces the stereo width and does some compression/eq-ing. There are different sound-focus types you can choose between (mid-boost, enhancer and some "piano types"). I was not able to achieve the same effect by only using eq, compression and reducing the stereowidth manually. What I don't like is, that using sound-focus makes some sounds noisy. This happens to the e-pianos, when speaker-simulation is off, for example.
Btw., you can control the effects with the control sliders, so the missing mfx-knobs don't seem to be a big problem.

Roland RD700NX
M
M
Originally Posted by kishonti
Originally Posted by Qbert
Received my NX today; and I love it.
I paid $2099 for it at RMC Audio Direct

That's sound not only unbelievable but also frustrating to me. Here in Italy the price is around 2.300/2.400 euro (more than 3.000 USD).

thomann.de price isn't different

frown

The value added tax (19-25%) explains most of the difference. The sales tax in US is much lower and most online purchases are not taxed.

I think it's also because the market for used instruments is more lively in the US than in Europe, so stores have to compete with people trading marginally outdated models at eBay and Craigslist. As soon as a new model is introduced, there's quite a bit of market activity in the US, with some people getting the latest model and selling the one they have, which starts a cascade down the market as everyone upgrades to a model which is slightly better/newer than what they had before. That cycle then repeats every half year or so when there's a new iteration released, just as it is with e.g. new Apple laptops or iPods.

I don't quite see the same thing happen in Europe. In the US, I'd have unloaded the P-85 for a good price when the P-95 came out and gotten that instead, but in Germany the market isn't active enough to start that chain reaction of upgrades. Also, I'd say there's a larger percentage of the population in the US playing an instrument as a hobby than in Europe, so the market of potential buyers/sellers is smaller over here, meaning that stores can demand higher prices because there's less competition. And higher prices keep the market small, so it's self-perpetuating.

And lastly tariffs on imported goods from China are probably higher in the EU than in the US.

Martin

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DocSnyder
I was not able to achieve the same effect by only using eq, compression and reducing the stereowidth manually. What I don't like is, that using sound-focus makes some sounds noisy. This happens to the e-pianos, when speaker-simulation is off, for example.

If the e-piano uses distortion, this is essentially gain - which raises the noise floor - followed by a clipping circuit. A speaker simulator is a complex low pass filter. If you turn off this filter and then further compress the distorted e-piano with the sound focus feature you've brought the high frequency noise floor even higher. To operate it in this mode you probably need a noise gate somewhere near the end of the effects chain.

D
D
Originally Posted by dewster
Originally Posted by DocSnyder
I was not able to achieve the same effect by only using eq, compression and reducing the stereowidth manually. What I don't like is, that using sound-focus makes some sounds noisy. This happens to the e-pianos, when speaker-simulation is off, for example.

If the e-piano uses distortion, this is essentially gain - which raises the noise floor - followed by a clipping circuit. A speaker simulator is a complex low pass filter. If you turn off this filter and then further compress the distorted e-piano with the sound focus feature you've brought the high frequency noise floor even higher.

That makes sense, dewster. It's no problem anyway, I'm just having fun turning all those knobs of this nice instrument smile

Roland RD700NX
A
A
RD-700NX
ANOTHER TRYOUT RECORDING WITH BRILLIANT GRAND

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOIpp-SL030

Originally Posted by ACABRITA
RD-700NX
ANOTHER TRYOUT RECORDING WITH BRILLIANT GRAND

Thanks for that, Acabrita - I enjoyed your improvisatory style. I would also love to hear that piece using a mellower tone! (How about it?)

B
B
Be interested in a side by side hand's on comparison with KAWAI MP10 and ... V-Piano.

any one?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B. Michels, may I ask where you are based in Belgium?

Perhaps you would like to consider play testing these instruments for yourself at a Kawai/Roland dealer?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
B
B
I am in brussels

B. Michels,

Pianos Maene appear to stock most - if not all - models from the major brands, including both the Kawai MP10 and Roland V-Piano.

http://www.maene.be

Kind regards,
James

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
According to the manual there are different sound focus effect types you can choose:

Piano Type1
Limits the volume change produced by variations in your playing touch, and also reduces the sense of stereo, allowing your
sound to be more prominent in the band’s overall mix.
This parameter is effective only with respect to SuperNATURAL Piano.

Piano Type2
Reduces the sense of stereo.
This parameter is effective only with respect to SuperNATURAL Piano.

E. Piano Type
Changes the sound from soft to strikingly unique.
This parameter is effective only with respect to certain SuperNATURAL E. Piano tones.

Sound Lift
Limits the volume change produced by variations in your playing touch.

Enhancer
Controls the harmonic content of the upper range, making your sound more prominent.
* This setting has no effect with respect to SuperNATURAL Piano tones.

Mid Boost
Boosts the mid-range frequencies.
* This setting has no effect with respect to SuperNATURAL Piano tones.

Last edited by Musical Dan; 12/16/10 06:45 AM.

Viscount Legend '70s Artist-W EX
Kawai MP7
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Musical Dan
Piano Type1
Limits the volume change produced by variations in your playing touch, and also reduces the sense of stereo, allowing your sound to be more prominent in the band’s overall mix. This parameter is effective only with respect to SuperNATURAL Piano.

All evidence points to this being the one mah115 had turned up to 11 on the sound clip.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Here's a nice video of the RD700NX in action. Great sounding piano. Just as good as my GXF! wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m26Mg2zPJBM&feature=related

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
For any RD700GX owners who haven't upgraded with the K-RD700GX1 SuperNATURAL card yet, this ought to motivate you! smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSr1onqpEZk&translated=1

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by PianoZac
For any RD700GX owners who haven't upgraded with the K-RD700GX1 SuperNATURAL card yet, this ought to motivate you! smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSr1onqpEZk&translated=1

Wow, that certainly demonstrates the improvement - night and day in my estimation.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
Page 25 of 40 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 39 40

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission