Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2023339 - 01/29/13 09:07 AM Basic chord playing (Friedrich Burgmuller's Op. 100 No. 1)
JanVan Offline

Hello,

I am currently practicing the first study (La Candeur) from Friedrich Burgmuller's Op. 100.

The score is in the public domain and freely available from imslp.org:
http://imslp.org/wiki/25_%C3%89tudes_faciles_et_progressives,_Op.100_(Burgm%C3%BCller,_Friedrich)

In the first 8 bars, the left hand plays simple chords which mostly last for a full bar.

My questions are about what is the best hand position for this and what are the exact motions (shoulder, upper arm, forearm, wrist, fingers) required to play these chords with a maximum of control and a minimum of effort.

1. Should the 3 fingers playing each chord be in contact with the key surfaces before the actual playing motion occurs?

2. Should the 3 fingers playing each chord be fixed (locked) in position in preparation for playing?

3. Does playing each chord is accomplished by pressing down the keys with the fixed fingers and using the arm's weight as energy source (like with a thrust originating from the shoulder)?

4. Or, on the contrary, should the keys be pressed down with individual finger motions?

5. How to achieve perfect synchronisation so that all notes are sounded exactly at the same time?

6. What exercises, based on the chords of the first 8 bars of the piece, would be recommended for practicing?

I have been reading a lot of different opinions on basic technique but since there are so many different approaches ranging from a purely finger approach to a full arm weight approach I would be grateful to get as much input as possible from experienced pianists and teachers to clear up the confusion and point me in the correct direction for practicing.

I do realize that there is probably not a single answer to all of this but I guess there must be some sort of concensus.

Thank you for your time and sharing your thoughts.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2023413 - 01/29/13 12:16 PM Re: Basic chord playing (Friedrich Burgmuller's Op. 100 No. 1) [Re: JanVan]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I can't access the score of that piece, but with chord playing, you need to stiffen up all the fingers involved, and press straight down to get the notes to sound simultaneously, using your wrist or your whole forearm (pivoting at your elbow) depending on how powerful you want the sound. It's very important to get the positions of your fingers fixed right, depending on whether you're playing any black notes, otherwise the notes may not sound together.

You can practice chord playing in isolation, listening carefully to ensure all the notes sound at exactly the same time, and evenly, with different fingers. Practise with fingers in contact with the keys first. When you get the hang of it, you can land from a height.....

#2023634 - 01/29/13 07:54 PM Re: Basic chord playing (Friedrich Burgmuller's Op. 100 No. 1) [Re: JanVan]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I think the questions would be an example of trying to over analyze a fairly simple thing. Kind of like a young child asking his parents how to walk in 500 words or more. Most pianists just do what comes naturally for something like this and do reasonably well. Learning the proper movements of fingers, hands, and arms is important but should not be overly detailed IMO.

Edited by pianoloverus (01/29/13 07:55 PM)

#2028005 - 02/06/13 10:42 AM Re: Basic chord playing (Friedrich Burgmuller's Op. 100 No. 1) [Re: JanVan]
pianomandb95 Offline

Loc: England
Hi there,

I agree with pianoloverus, just do what feels natural and comfortable for you. I have just finished studying op. 100 with my teacher but there were a couple that we didn't touch on and, unfortunately, la candeur was one of them.

Playing the chords should feel comfortable and I would suggest fixing your hand position but loosening your fingertips (I found that this gave some of the duller LH sections more of a 'bounce') and using the weight from your forearm. If there are any arpeggiated chords, use a pivoting motion in your elbow, so that your wrist swings slightly in a clockwise motion. And yes, you should be touching the surface of the keys before you play the chord smile

As for practicing, do the left hand alone and just pay close attention to how it sounds, are you breaking the legato in any place, are there gaps in sounds, etc..

Just as a side note, make sure you are not playing it too fast. I noticed that Burgmuller chose some silly tempo markings in this opus, and most of them sound better when played slower than he indicated.

Best of luck, I hope I helped in some way!

Edited by pianomandb95 (02/06/13 04:10 PM)

#2028032 - 02/06/13 11:29 AM Re: Basic chord playing (Friedrich Burgmuller's Op. 100 No. 1) [Re: JanVan]
woodog Online   content

Loc: Bowling Green, KY
Graham Fitch on playing chords. (hint: I really, really like Mr. Fitch's approach to technique)

Piano Lesson on How to Play Chords: The Basics

Piano Lesson on How to Play Chords - In Depth

enjoy,

Forrest

--------------------
current studies:
Debussy: Suite Bergamasque
Beethoven Op. 78
Bach WTC 1, C# Major (#3)

#2028058 - 02/06/13 12:18 PM Re: Basic chord playing (Friedrich Burgmuller's Op. 100 No. 1) [Re: JanVan]
woodog Online   content

Loc: Bowling Green, KY

--------------------
current studies:
Debussy: Suite Bergamasque
Beethoven Op. 78
Bach WTC 1, C# Major (#3)

#2028290 - 02/06/13 06:31 PM Re: Basic chord playing (Friedrich Burgmuller's Op. 100 No. 1) [Re: JanVan]
UK Paul UK Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
Im polishing this piece aswell as working on a couple of others.... arm weight and hand weight for ths piece are dependant on the dynamics for me... obvs dependant on tecnique i guess... but i generally will lift my hand and arm weight slightly for p, combining the two in increasing amounts to go to the louder sections... i feel 134 bpm is a nice pace for the piece... indicated 152 in the alfred book is deceiving as the included recording is 136 i think.... 152 is not going to help with phrasing and dynamics... i started at 80 bpm and am not far off with having this piece nailed.... final sction i am polishing is the f three part crescendo.... ending in sf (note is an a i think) and occurs twice in the middle of the piece.... in that section, aiming to legato the minims(top melody) in increasing waves really shapes the peak....

Will post a recording soon.... have certainly got more from the piece since being with my new tutor......

Lovely piece....

Have fun with it!

#2028701 - 02/07/13 11:45 AM Re: Basic chord playing (Friedrich Burgmuller's Op. 100 No. 1) [Re: UK Paul UK]
JanVan Offline

Thanks for all the advice.

I have started working with the suggestions from the articles on chord playing by Graham Fitch, especially the 'tapping' exercice.

Something else I find helpful is alternating 2 successive chords, slowly and deliberately, gradually working from whole notes over half notes to one chord per beat. After finishing a cycle with chords 1 and 2, I move on to a cycle with chords 2 and 3, and so on until I finish the first 8 bars of the piece. It helps me practice going from one playing position to the next and work on the dynamics (which is quite a challenge).

I am looking forward to your recording, it's indeed a very sweet piece of music!

#2029354 - 02/08/13 03:01 PM Re: Basic chord playing (Friedrich Burgmuller's Op. 100 No. 1) [Re: JanVan]
slipperykeys Offline

Loc: Dorset, England
Here's a link to view the piece.

http://www.musichicos.com.ar/burgmuller.pdf

My music teacher took me through the Schirmer opus 100 in the early 70's, in fact I still have it, great learning pieces, Tendre Fluer and L'Arabesque* still being particular faves, look them up, I am sure most members will like them.

My advice? Worth little, but don't over-obsess, don't take too much instruction.

Learn well, then "muck about" with it, to a style you like and live with that. I'm sure many will disagree with me, that's life.

You are learning the piano because you enjoy it?

*Forgot, "La Styrienne", a terrific bit of fun, didn't like the "horsey" stuff (La Chasse, La Chevaleresque) so much though. Still, all personal preferences.

Edited by slipperykeys (02/08/13 03:07 PM)

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
134 registered (A Guy, accordeur, ando, Abby Pianoman, 36251, albumblatter, 43 invisible), 1306 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75979 Members
42 Forums
157133 Topics
2307638 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
a video of Alexander Siloti's daughter playing the piano
by Michael Sayers
Today at 08:26 PM
Kimball spinet neoprene lifter nuts
by dschwoyer
Today at 08:22 PM
Looking for a re-built Steinway or Steinwas
by ColinD
Today at 07:29 PM
First time purchasing an acoustic piano, need some help.
by Lockon52
Today at 07:14 PM
Yamaha Clavinova CVP-83s Parts needed
by Jason Solis
Today at 06:57 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission