Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
81 registered (AnimistFvR, Anticlock, anotherscott, AmateurBob, 24 invisible), 1281 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2023668 - 01/29/13 08:56 PM Re: Did NAMM 2013 introduce something you gotta have? [Re: ClsscLib]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ClsscLib
Originally Posted By: pv88
Originally Posted By: Nigeth
Companies are still mostly stuck in the 90's if technology is concerned.

Also often quantity over quality.

If the pX-5S (a pretty decent instrument) is the biggest sensation of the NAMM then the whole sector is in a pretty sorry state indeed.

Yeah, this means that companies like Casio (for example) only care about raking in f*****g greenbacks into their big deep pockets, as it's all about sales. Looks like profit surpasses quality every time.

When did Casio become a charity? I missed the announcement...

+1

Amen!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2023840 - 01/30/13 05:24 AM Re: Did NAMM 2013 introduce something you gotta have? [Re: thercman]
Nigeth Offline

Hey I never faulted Casio for their business sense.

The PX-5S is a leap forward, it may not be technologically groundbreaking but it's definitely priced competitively.

This puts a lot of functionality into the hands of people who'd previously have to buy boards twice or three times the price.

It's just that if the PX-5S is such an unusual product with regards to price and features compared to the competition that it generates this much buzz and if its pretty much the only new board that somewhat shakes things up a little bit then it's a little sad.

This might sound like I want to belittle Casio for their success but you have to agree that its a pretty low hanging fruit when all your competition does is to rehash ancient technology.

It's not even that the competition wouldn't be able to do it (some may be not but in the majority they are quite capable) it's just that they are afraid that a great board would cannibalize their own high end sales.

This leads to all kinds of weird attempts of market segmentation that somehow cause most of their offerings to fall short in at least one critical area.

Want the best gigging board? Good look getting the best action or best samples.

Want the best action and one great set of samples? There's a $8000 cabinet style digital piano for that but good luck doing any DAW work with it, also it weighs a ton.

So probably the two most interesting devices are:

The PX-5S which single-handedly set a baseline price and standard for gigging keyboards that competitors either have to match on price and features or have to add features if they want to go 'over'. Which is great because that means that the competition won't be able to charge you twice or thrice that for less features.

ThHis will be a problem for Yamaha, Nord, Kawai etc. if it really is as great as it sounds. The PX-3 already showed that it can sell like hotcakes I'd expect the PX5-S to do even better.

The Kawai VPC which acknowledges the fact that manufacturers won't be able or willing to match the quality of commercial sample sets or DAWs in their boards and basically offers you one of the best piano actions on the market for a reasonable price but without built-in sounds you probably won't use anyway.

So for best in class stage and gigging features I now have the PX5-S at $1299. You'd have to get a Yamaha C90 or CP5 at nearly twice that to find a competing product that at least matches the featiure set of the PX5.

For 'best in class' piano experience I could now buy the VPC plus a small netbook and still only match the price of an MP10 and be well below any product that matches the VPC on the quality of the action.

That's great and all but it shows just how content and 'lazy' most other companies have become if all it took is taking mature technology and 'just' price it competitively (I'm using hyperbole not taking anything away from the work they put into it)

#2028276 - 02/06/13 06:11 PM Re: Did NAMM 2013 introduce something you gotta have? [Re: thercman]
Deltron Offline

Anyone know what the px5s is gonna run for? and when will it be in stores?

#2028310 - 02/06/13 07:07 PM Re: Did NAMM 2013 introduce something you gotta have? [Re: Dave Ferris]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
Wasn't "introduced" to it but still "gotta have". Either the Fazioli 278 or 228... 3hearts cool

+1! Ain't nothing like the real thing. smile Then the Kawai VPC1. cool

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#2028347 - 02/06/13 08:23 PM Re: Did NAMM 2013 introduce something you gotta have? [Re: PianoZac]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Did NAMM 2013 introduce something you gotta have?

Not in the least bit..

As I walked to the car, I felt pretty much reassured there's nothing better for me in the current electronic keyboard area then what I already have, based on what I saw and played wink

Originally Posted By: PianoZac
Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
Wasn't "introduced" to it but still "gotta have". Either the Fazioli 278 or 228... 3hearts cool

+1! Ain't nothing like the real thing. smile Then the Kawai VPC1. cool

Yeah, I've been salivating over those Faziolis for years... cool

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP4, CP5 (home use) , RCF TT08A, TT22A speakers

#2028351 - 02/06/13 08:27 PM Re: Did NAMM 2013 introduce something you gotta have? [Re: Deltron]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Deltron
Anyone know what the px5s is gonna run for?

$1k

#2028357 - 02/06/13 08:43 PM Re: Did NAMM 2013 introduce something you gotta have? [Re: Deltron]
Mike_Martin Offline

when will it be in stores?

April

Casio Music Forums
Privia Pro PX-5S Audio Demos

#2028360 - 02/06/13 08:46 PM Re: Did NAMM 2013 introduce something you gotta have? [Re: Mike_Martin]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mike_Martin

April

For home use, what would you recommend for audio. Would 5" monitors be good, or would you say a keyboard amp or something with a lot of bass?
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#2028362 - 02/06/13 08:47 PM Re: Did NAMM 2013 introduce something you gotta have? [Re: thercman]
thercman Offline

Loc: Spokane WA, United States
Nigeth,

I see many of your points regarding the other manufactures not stepping up their game. Since I was just in the market for a stage piano I also feel your frustration, you either get good keys and crappy sounds or vise versa. It is bad business for sure. However from what I have listened to thus far from that Casio, the sounds are well, still Casio. They just don't seem organic to me. Of course I probably don't have the best ear, but they still need work IMO. With that said, it has a lot of features and will fill a niche probably geared more toward a beginner player. This is just my impression of it so far...

Edited by thercman (02/06/13 08:52 PM)

Addictive Keys, Kawai EX Pro
Heil PR-40 Mic, Allen & Heath Mixer, Yamaha HS80

#2028367 - 02/06/13 08:53 PM Re: Did NAMM 2013 introduce something you gotta have? [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
Mike_Martin Offline

Originally Posted By: Possum PX130

April

For home use, what would you recommend for audio. Would 5" monitors be good, or would you say a keyboard amp or something with a lot of bass?

I would recommend a set of studio monitors. If size or cost is a concern many of the companies that sell 5" studio monitors also sell sub-woofers which you could add a later date. Otherwise I'd say save and get a set of 8" studio monitors. wink

Casio Music Forums

#2028372 - 02/06/13 08:57 PM Re: Did NAMM 2013 introduce something you gotta have? [Re: thercman]
Mike_Martin Offline

Originally Posted By: thercman
However from what I have listened to thus far from that Casio, the sounds are well, still Casio. They just don't seem organic to me. Of course I probably don't have the best ear, but they still need work IMO. With that said, it has a lot of features and will fill a niche probably geared more toward a beginner player. This is just my impression of it so far...

I'm surprised to hear you say that because it sounds nothing like any previous product from Casio. I'll gladly put the new vintage sounds next to anything any of the competitors have to offer...and that is just one aspect of the PX-5S. I expect your impression will change when you play it.

Casio Music Forums

#2028373 - 02/06/13 08:58 PM Re: Did NAMM 2013 introduce something you gotta have? [Re: Mike_Martin]
thercman Offline

Originally Posted By: Possum PX130

April

I would recommend a set of studio monitors. If size or cost is a concern many of the companies that sell 5" studio monitors also sell sub-woofers which you could add a later date. Otherwise I'd say save and get a set of 8" studio monitors. wink

+1 on the 8" monitors.

#2028459 - 02/07/13 12:03 AM Re: Did NAMM 2013 introduce something you gotta have? [Re: thercman]
Peter B Offline

Loc: USA
Kawai VPC1 - already ordered.

#2028473 - 02/07/13 12:25 AM Re: Did NAMM 2013 introduce something you gotta have? [Re: thercman]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
It may not be to your liking, but the PX-5S breaks new ground for Casio. Perhaps, Casio's sounds are not for everybody, but I don't think there is a keyboard out there that is considered perfect. They all have their hits and misses, regardless of the price they sell for. But make no mistake, Casio is going to sell a ton of PX-5S's and will no doubt rack up another key buy award for this board, and there seem to be plenty of pro players eager to try or buy this board.

Edited by galaxy4t (02/07/13 12:44 AM)

#2028484 - 02/07/13 01:13 AM Re: Did NAMM 2013 introduce something you gotta have? [Re: galaxy4t]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
I meant in no way to slight Casio, Mike Martin and the new PX5. I simply did not get a chance to play it as the few times I did pass by the booth there was a demo with a band in progress. When I finally noticed the crowd had cleared out, I got word my ride was leaving.

I'm sure it will be right there with everything else at a very favorable price. Kudos to these guys for being able to offer this kind of sonic quality and versatility at that price point.

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP4, CP5 (home use) , RCF TT08A, TT22A speakers

#2028487 - 02/07/13 01:33 AM Re: Did NAMM 2013 introduce something you gotta have? [Re: Dave Ferris]
Nomadness Offline

Loc: Friday Harbor, WA
After months of research, patiently waiting for NAMM, and following the discussions that emerged from that... it looks like I'll be jumping on the PX-5S bandwagon. It hits the sweet spot for the sailboat rig (including not being insanely expensive... water corrodes; salt water corrodes absolutely).

It's a fine line at my decidedly non-professional level: I can't really justify the high-end stuff, but low-end stuff does not encourage time at the keyboard. I went to GC enroute back from the Seattle Boat Show, and was surprised at how many boards didn't feel very good (not just key action, but overall aesthetics). Once I got them to turn down the thin distorted rock blaring from bad in-ceiling speakers in the piano display room (!!!), I could even hear some of the sounds...

Ahem. Anyway, I think the new Casio offering will be delightful, judging by the feel of the PX-350 and all I've been reading, and there are computers a few inches away if I ever want to add more hardcore piano voices.

Cheers,
Steve

Edited by Nomadness (02/07/13 01:35 AM)

#2028507 - 02/07/13 02:43 AM Re: Did NAMM 2013 introduce something you gotta have? [Re: thercman]
o0Ampy0o Offline

PX5S.......me too.

#2028512 - 02/07/13 02:50 AM Re: Did NAMM 2013 introduce something you gotta have? [Re: o0Ampy0o]
Tyruke Offline

Loc: Anaheim, California, USA
This instrument looked insanely cool, though it's not a digital.

#2028776 - 02/07/13 01:45 PM Re: Did NAMM 2013 introduce something you gotta have? [Re: PianoZac]
Deltron Offline

Edited by Deltron (02/07/13 01:46 PM)

#2028777 - 02/07/13 01:46 PM Re: Did NAMM 2013 introduce something you gotta have? [Re: Mike_Martin]
Deltron Offline

April

Does this apply to Europe as well?

#2028778 - 02/07/13 01:47 PM Re: Did NAMM 2013 introduce something you gotta have? [Re: Mike_Martin]
thercman Offline

Originally Posted By: thercman
However from what I have listened to thus far from that Casio, the sounds are well, still Casio. They just don't seem organic to me. Of course I probably don't have the best ear, but they still need work IMO. With that said, it has a lot of features and will fill a niche probably geared more toward a beginner player. This is just my impression of it so far...

I'm surprised to hear you say that because it sounds nothing like any previous product from Casio. I'll gladly put the new vintage sounds next to anything any of the competitors have to offer...and that is just one aspect of the PX-5S. I expect your impression will change when you play it.

Hey Mike! Yes, that could very well be the case. I look forward to hearing some recordings by people that pick it up....

#2028799 - 02/07/13 02:17 PM Re: Did NAMM 2013 introduce something you gotta have? [Re: Deltron]
Mike_Martin Offline

April

Does this apply to Europe as well?

I think so, but it may be the end if the month (after Musik Messe)

Casio Music Forums

#2028800 - 02/07/13 02:20 PM Re: Did NAMM 2013 introduce something you gotta have? [Re: thercman]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yeah I say kudos to Casio. It impresses the heck out of me that they are able to put as good of an action as they have in such a lightweight package. The actions in the new PX series is certainly a step up from the action in my Nord Piano. I think one of the best parts to owning a Nord and why I'm so loyal to their products is the design approach, the quality of sounds, the updated free sound libraries, the quality accessories, and top notch customer service. I'm surprised brands like Korg, Casio, Kurzweil, etc don't offer similar sound libraries. This alone is worth paying the premium for Nord's products.

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#2028805 - 02/07/13 02:47 PM Re: Did NAMM 2013 introduce something you gotta have? [Re: Tyruke]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: Tyruke
This instrument looked insanely cool, though it's not a digital.

Wow! Kind of a motorized hurdy-gurdy.

#2029217 - 02/08/13 09:09 AM Re: Did NAMM 2013 introduce something you gotta have? [Re: Mike_Martin]
Vampire Killer Offline

How about PX-5S in China? If yes, will defintely collect one when released. I emailed Casio EMI in Shanghai but they don't know about plans bout this. It took PX-3S four more months to be available in China than the rest of the world.

Edited by Vampire Killer (02/08/13 09:12 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Are there any upright owners who leave the front open?
by harpon
11/29/14 01:00 AM
They don't call him the 'Poet of the Piano' for nothing!
by JoelW
11/28/14 11:53 PM
Steinway rebuild question
by schlaigs
11/28/14 10:00 PM
Baldwin Hamilton Hammer Butt and Back Stop Leather
by Ryan Hassell
11/28/14 09:55 PM
Please help me to find out the pattern of this Cdim7
by SZ54
11/28/14 08:12 PM
Forum Stats
77083 Members
42 Forums
159435 Topics
2342056 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission