2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (36251, Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,092 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Edtek Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I bought my new T118 2 weeks ago and while generally very pleased with it I did not like the music rack at all.

1. It’s not flat so you can’t write notes on music sheets
2. There is a slot between the hinges and single music sheets can slip through
3. it’s a little short (I am spoiled by the full length rack on my Baldwin Hamilton)
4. the key cover is part of the rack so all the music, pencil, metronome etc has to be removed to close the cover.
5. it’s very heavy to remove for tuning since the key cover, music stand and front panel are all connected.

I mentioned this to the piano store technician I called about another little problem and he said several of his customers used an Adapt-a-Stand.

I checked into it and while I guess I’ll learn to live with the last 2 points the Adapt-A-Stand I bought from Pianoman Products (Adapt-a-stand.com) fixes the first 3 points. Here’s a pic of it on my piano:

My T118 with Adapt-A-Stand

I mentioned to Ken (the Pianoman guy) that I was worried that it might scratch my piano and he included some felt pads that I stuck on the top where it contacts my front panel. The stand already has felt pads where it rests on the music rack.

The stand is made from light weight formed plastic and is very easy to remove if desired.

Ed (Out in the West Texas town of El Paso)
Yamaha P255

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Cool. How wide is the Adapt-a-stand? (or, more to the point, how many sheets of paper can you put up there side by side?)

My music rack only holds five. So for 6 page pieces or longer, I have to stop and shuffle pages, or jury rig a truly ugly stretch of cardboard to which I tape the sheet music.

E
Edtek Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Hi Mon,
It's 46 inches long as standard so that's about 6 pages but I think Ken will custom size it.

I remember VKgoesWild had a bunch of pages taped together for "Last of the Mohicans". I checked and it was 8 pages (!) stretched across 2 music stands in back of her Roland.

Yamaha P255
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I think I'd love something like this for my Roland. I've tried various ugly things involving plywood and cardboard.

Does it just sit on the original music desk and rely on gravity or is it clamped or fastened in some way? Is it pretty secure?

It looks really nice on your piano.

I always thought that whoever designed those ridiculous little flip down shelves must have been on crack. The old uprights used the entire front of the piano as a music desk.

Thanks for the post. I'm ordering one.

Last edited by Roger Ransom; 02/07/13 09:33 AM.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
M
M
This would be great for my Roland as well - it has the most awful music stand ever. How does one obtain such a thing, and what's the cost?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Their web site is www.adapt-a-stand.com and they are around $45.00 or so depending on what one you get and the shipping.

I'm going for it.

Laugh More
M
M
Originally Posted by Roger Ransom
Their web site is www.adapt-a-stand.com and they are around $45.00 or so depending on what one you get and the shipping.

I'm going for it.

What model Roland do you have? My one concern is that the angle of the music stand on my FP-7 is a little too vertical and I'm not quite sure this thing would be somewhat adjustable as far as the angle is concerned. I imagine it doesn't have to completely rest up against the current stand and can be put on it in such a way to increase the angle a bit without it sliding off. Otherwise, I may want to get the Adapt-a-stand II and just completely do away with the built-in stand.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Mine is an FP7 also.

Those are very good questions and I'm going to discuss it with them when I call.

Maybe doing away with the original one would be the best solution if there is room on top for it. It's not like a piano where the desk is not easily removable.

I'll see what they suggest.

Laugh More
E
Edtek Offline OP
OP Offline
E
To Roger and Morodiene:

Yes, it just sits on the music desk. I just checked and it doesn't seem to want to fall over or move.

The bottom has little feet with felt pads on the bottom. You can slide the bottom out to the edge of your current rack to increase the angle. BTW, I'm undecided on keeping the little feet. They are screwed on and increase the height 7/8". I might take them off and put felt pads over the holes if I think the reduced height would be better.

Also, the diagram on the web page is a little misleading. It is not two pieces joined together, but a single piece of plastic with a lip formed at the bottom by a sharp bend yielding a 1.5 inch shelf.

The only negative thing I can think of about it is the plastic is only 1/8" thick so it's a little flexible. I attached another felt pad between the first two I put on to keep the plastic from touching the front panel when I wrote on a music sheet.

I thought about fabricating something myself but this is so much cleaner and neater than anything I would have made.

Yamaha P255
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Thanks Edtek, I called and ordered one. The guy I talked to seemed very friendly and helpful.

Laugh More

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission