2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (APianistHasNoName, crab89, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, 9 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by origen
Im working on Ben Folds "The Luckiest" right now and loving life. One of the great underrated artists of our time.

+1 cool

Beno's da man !!!!

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
Yeah well the RD is also fully 16 part Multi if you want it to be.

That has nothing to do with it being a controller.

Nope but it is another thing it can do that most stages can't.
I can't imagine many people using it as a feature however the RD has a lot of patches and whiles the organs and EP's are not exactly first class the pads, strings and synth patches are excellent.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Originally Posted by anotherscott
700NX and FP7F have the same action; 300NX and FP4F have the same action as each other, but not the same as the 700NX/FP7F.

I wonder? They are visually, or cosmetically, different.

To me the actions of the 700NX and FP7 feel different, though not a lot. It may have something to do with how they're bedded in different boards. I can also accept the possibility that the seeming difference is all in my head. smile

Last edited by ClsscLib; 02/06/13 06:04 PM.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
The difference between RD (700NX) and FP (7F) action is just the key surface. The actions are mechanically identical. FP has a whiter - and probably more resilient - fake ivory key covering and the key assembly is all one colour. RD has the fake wood colour underneath a slightly more textured fake ivory surface. Any other perceived difference is just to do with the chassis or structure of the slab itself or of course any settings that may be different such as touch curve or offset etc.

N
N
Version 2 of the RD700-NX has the same keybed as the FP7-F. The all white keys and more resilient ivory touch have been introduced across both boards due to complaints about the original keybed of the FP7-F and RD700-NX. (Ivory Touch rubbed off for example)

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I haven't seen one reference to wearing keys on FP-7F. I owned a very early one and the keys were whiter than other PHA-III keys with a slightly smoother texture too.

I would be surprised if exactly the same keys were now on RD-700NX - surely it still has the wood coloured under structure to the keys?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've owned both.

Nord Piano 2. It sounds much better live, it's lighter, has free piano and sample libraries, has better string/sympathetic resonance implementation, etc etc etc, need I say more? cool

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
T
T
Originally Posted by Nigeth
Version 2 of the RD700-NX has the same keybed as the FP7-F.
Where did get this information? Isn't Version 2 just a software update? Roland doesn't say anything about replacing the keyboard on their website.

Roland RD-700NX // Casio PX-5S // Galaxy Vintage D
One thing that I don't see talked about around here very much is mono-compatibility. If you're shopping for something that you intend to use LIVE on stage you should check to see how it sounds though a single speaker in mono. Not all digital pianos are created equal when it comes to this. Just my $.02

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Very good point Mike.

This is one of my criticisms of the Nord piano sounds - they sound fantastic in stereo (especially through headphones), but when summed to mono or just played using one channel, suffer terribly.

I applaud Casio for considering the importance of a piano patch that still sounds good in mono - these intelligent moves will be greatly appreciated by gigging players.

I'm just curious though, can you explain a little more about how the PX-5S will function in mono? Is it using some clever summing algorithms, or are there separate mono versions of the stereo patch?

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Originally Posted by Kawai James

I applaud Casio for considering the importance of a piano patch that still sounds good in mono - these intelligent moves will be greatly appreciated by gigging players.

I'm just curious though, can you explain a little more about how the PX-5S will function in mono? Is it using some clever summing algorithms, or are there separate mono versions of the stereo patch?

Obviously mono compatibility has to do with a lot of things that are done during the sampling process. Mic placement that sounds great in stereo can cause all kinds of phase cancellation problems when summed to mono.

They PX-5S (in its current beta software state) has two Mono grand piano sounds. We tested them at NAMM through the PA when we found them and they sounded great. No dramatic change in tone or character. If I were to guess they've summed them somehow.

On the "synthy" side (Hex Layers) of the PX-5S you can grab each of the four layers of the piano samples, including the left and right side separately. I'll have to try variations between using just the Left or Right vs using Both at the same time and without panning to see if I can figure what they've done.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The Nord Pianos have a mono summing feature. I run stereo at some gigs, but often times I run mono and it sounds good.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Very good point Mike.

This is one of my criticisms of the Nord piano sounds - they sound fantastic in stereo (especially through headphones), but when summed to mono or just played using one channel, suffer terribly.

Cheers,
James
x

Just make sure you advertise it well. No point in having a great piano feature if no one really knows why it is better than the competition. Marketing is important. I hope the PX-5S sells well, it looks like a great piano.

Casio Privia PX-150

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
these days I run my boards in stereo...

J
J
Originally Posted by Ray Xavier
when I went playing on the Nord piano 2.. I was instantly sold.

The Nord pianos are very good, if you loved it you should get it. I actually bought a Stage 2 sight unseen but sent it back as the feel was just too light.

You'll find afficionados for every piano you named though. If the Nord Piano made your heart leap I see no reason not to get one. It's a very respectable instrument.

Just remember to also budget for some high-quality powered monitors, stands, and headphones. That can add another $1000 to the purchase...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission