Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2028369 - 02/06/13 08:54 PM Please help me identify these pieces from a movie!
RazrV3 Offline

Hi everyone, I'd appreciate if you kind folk would help me identify the following pieces. They're from the movie Red Dragon (when he's eating the dinner prepared for him in the cell).

The first, is in F# minor (or may be in B minor but just modulated in this section). Probably Baroque - I thought Bach but can't recognize it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trbmk5StF4U

Second one, I have no clue. Period is probably Romantic or Impressionist from what I can tell, but I may well be wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ_ZQv6n2sY

Thank you!

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2028414 - 02/06/13 10:18 PM Re: Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! [Re: RazrV3]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
The first one is Bach, the Prelude in f minor from WTC II.

#2028450 - 02/06/13 11:51 PM Re: Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! [Re: DameMyra]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
The second one is from Liszt consolation nro 3

Edited by outo (02/07/13 12:32 AM)

#2028501 - 02/07/13 02:24 AM Re: Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! [Re: RazrV3]
RazrV3 Offline

Thank you DameMyra, that sounds exactly like it.

outo - nice try but I don't think that's right.

I cannot find the following melodic structure from the clip in the Consolation no. 3

F# E A A B C ...arpeggios... F# A G C B E D C

Even if the movie had shifted it up by a semitone (as the Bach was), the original would be

F Eb Ab Ab Bb B ...arpeggios... F Ab Gb B Bb Eb Db B

Anyone other ideas?

Edited by RazrV3 (02/07/13 02:25 AM)

#2028757 - 02/07/13 01:10 PM Re: Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! [Re: RazrV3]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Because the score is an arrangement by Danny Elfman, it wouldn't be exactly like the original.

#2028835 - 02/07/13 03:58 PM Re: Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! [Re: RazrV3]
RazrV3 Offline

outo, that second excerpt is from a scene where he is supposed to be listening to classical music. I doubt Elfman would have bothered to modify it, especially since he did not do so in other instances where the character was also supposed to be listening to classical music (e.g. for the Goldberg Variations and the WTC II F minor Prelude).

The harmonies and rhythm used are somewhat reminiscent of the Liszt and, to a lesser extent, Chopin sonatas (to me at least). Maybe Schubert or Schumann? The harmony doesn't seem weird enough to be Debussy.

Anyone else want to take a shot? Please?

Edited by RazrV3 (02/07/13 04:44 PM)

#2028878 - 02/07/13 05:08 PM Re: Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! [Re: RazrV3]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

In a concert? It's been ages since I saw the movie. It must be from a piano concerto then. Don't you have a longer clip where the orchestra comes in? It sounds so familiar, just cannot put it in the right context.

#2028907 - 02/07/13 05:55 PM Re: Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! [Re: outo]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: outo
In a concert? It's been ages since I saw the movie. It must be from a piano concerto then. Don't you have a longer clip where the orchestra comes in? It sounds so familiar, just cannot put it in the right context.

That was my issue, too.. I was impressed when you pulled out the Consolation. Very close fit. smile

At the very end, I think you can hear the orchestra start to come in, but I agree that, for me, the clip is too short. I'm not the expert that some of you are in this area, but sometimes I can get lucky.

#2028919 - 02/07/13 06:25 PM Re: Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! [Re: RazrV3]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK, Brighton
I've heard this before...not useful in its own right, but I've heard all of Chopin's surviving work, not much Liszt and almost no Debussy. So...if I were to take a wild shot I'd guess one of Chopin's piano concerto (assuming the orchestra isn't film score) but, um, I don't have time to confirm or deny it right now...sorry, hope I've helped...
Xxx

#2028925 - 02/07/13 06:36 PM Re: Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! [Re: RazrV3]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
I think it sounds much more like Liszt than Chopin.

#2028953 - 02/07/13 07:19 PM Re: Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! [Re: RazrV3]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK, Brighton
Unfortunately...so do I laugh

#2029056 - 02/07/13 11:30 PM Re: Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! [Re: RazrV3]
RazrV3 Offline

I think I've got it! Something in there reminded me of the Liebestraum (the "famous" #3) but it wasn't it, so I looked through all the rest of them, and behold!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e77vHfhf8UM

Sorry, I'm just so excited to have finally found it =D

#2029091 - 02/08/13 12:58 AM Re: Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! [Re: RazrV3]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks! Because things like this tend to bug me until I figure them out. I am not a big fan of Liszt, so no surprise that I would mix up these famous works smile

I know all of Chopin's works well, but Liszt only superficially. Yet his style is somewhat recognizable...

#2029627 - 02/09/13 02:15 AM Re: Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! [Re: RazrV3]
RazrV3 Offline

Apologies, there is one more excerpt I found which I originally thought was part of the F minor P&F but is not.

Here it is (watch out for a series of abrupt noises between 0:06 and 0:10). Also, I'd assume by now that the original pieces are one semitone lower than you hear in the movie. It is playing in the background so you might have to turn up the volume:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3DOXkxr95k

Almost certain it's Bach, but can't tell if it's another P&F, the fugue part of a Toccata, or maybe an invention?

Thanks again for the help!

Edited by RazrV3 (02/09/13 02:16 AM)

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
156 registered (acortot, ajames, 36251, accordeur, 39 invisible), 1868 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75516 Members
42 Forums
156160 Topics
2293273 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Medelssohn on meaning in music
by phantomFive
49 minutes 13 seconds ago
Correcting Heavy Piano Touchweight in Grand Pianos
by Paul678
Today at 01:39 PM
[AMAZING PIANO COMP.] Anyone able to transcribe it from ear?
by Weakky
Today at 12:29 PM
[AMAZING PIANO COMP.] Anyone able to transcribe it from ear?
by Weakky
Today at 12:21 PM
Best Keyboard/Piano 600 light up keys
by barabusm
Today at 12:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission