Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
109 registered (Anne'sson, Almaviva, Allan Sutton, anotherscott, 38 invisible), 1517 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2028278 - 02/06/13 06:11 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: Charles Cohen]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Charles Cohen
My experience is that stores will sometimes refuse to lower the listed price -- but they will (if asked!) be willing to include 'freebies' related to the purchase:

. . . a stand;

. . . a gig bag;

. . . sheet music;

. . . a pedal (to replace the "stock" Casio PX-150 pedal).

Also, I suspect that a $5,000 price is more "negotiable" than a $500 price. The higher-priced item is harder to sell, and carries (probably) a higher profit margin for the store. So there's more "wiggle room" for the salesman.

. Charles

If you don't ask, you don't get.

When I bought my DP, I first of all made sure that it really was what I wanted, then asked the dealer what he could offer if I bought it there and then. Once he realized that I meant business, he was only too keen to make me an offer I couldn't refuse wink . Without my prompting, he also threw in an excellent pair of headphones (though he'd already seen me using my own Bose ones, which he felt was more suited for travel listening than DP playing). Then I asked him how I was going to play from the music.....and he threw in a music stand too.

I couldn't think of anything else I could push him for, despite racking my brains grin.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2028281 - 02/06/13 06:14 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: Amaruk]
KataiYubi Offline

Originally Posted By: Amaruk
I understood it as offering 50% off list price in Canada, which would be about the average selling price in the US but I don't know.

You understood well - apparently some other people can't read.

Someone was reporting paying $2800 for a Kawai CA65 in Michigan, whereas in Canada the same instrument is sold for $5400, despite parity between the CAD and USD. There is simply no way for Joe Canuck to pay prices comparable to Americans, no matter how hard he bargains. And on top of this, we are hit by the Canada VAT (10%) and in my case the Quebec VAT (5%), so the difference is actually more.

Edited by KataiYubi (02/06/13 06:17 PM)

#2028456 - 02/07/13 12:00 AM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: adak]
o0Ampy0o Offline

The idea that you are in control of the situation because you have money and someone else wants it is naive. That position just as easily makes you a potential sucker. A fool and his money are soon parted.

Negotiation takes skill, intelligence and awareness. People can do their research homework and prepare but they are not professional salespeople and are probably a lot more average than above average in several departments, not the least of which is the ability to read people.

The salesperson you get could be a seasoned pro or just someone handling the transaction like it is clerical who only follows a list of steps composed/dictated by their company. Either has the advantage of performing in their position routinely.

I think you need to be conscious of who you are and where you fit then you can decide what you can realistically gain. Taking an honest look at your situation, you would probably see some facets that can be polished within a short time period in preparation and some others that are out of your reach.

The trouble with a limited number of stores available to you is that this does not leave enough room to practice and hone your skills. It is a lot like interviewing for a job. Many times you sabotage the best opportunities while getting used to the process. You have the worst experience with the most desirable openings. By the time you are comfortable only the crumbs are left. There are usually more stores. You just have to go farther away from your location.

You should have sales-relevant knowledge of the product. You need to know what is realistic and what you are willing to do with your money, including how far away you are willing to buy before going in. Otherwise some charming salesperson is going to have you in the palm of their hand and you are liable to make an emotional decision......even if it is simply a nice person telling you "no" and you saying "OK."

#2028467 - 02/07/13 12:17 AM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: KataiYubi]
ONfrank Offline

Originally Posted By: KataiYubi
Originally Posted By: Amaruk
I understood it as offering 50% off list price in Canada, which would be about the average selling price in the US but I don't know.

You understood well - apparently some other people can't read.

Someone was reporting paying $2800 for a Kawai CA65 in Michigan, whereas in Canada the same instrument is sold for $5400, despite parity between the CAD and USD. There is simply no way for Joe Canuck to pay prices comparable to Americans, no matter how hard he bargains. And on top of this, we are hit by the Canada VAT (10%) and in my case the Quebec VAT (5%), so the difference is actually more.

I don't see anyone comparing pre-tax to post-tax prices anywhere. That's just you. As far as Kawai is concerned, in Canada, 40% off MSRP might be possible. The MSRP in Canada is ridiculously high.

By the way, how are your other threads going?

#2028526 - 02/07/13 03:31 AM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: ONfrank]
zapper Offline

Originally Posted By: ONfrank
The MSRP in Canada is ridiculously high.

MSRP usually is way higher then real value. It's just starting point in negotiation.

#2028892 - 02/07/13 05:33 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: zapper]
ONfrank Offline

Originally Posted By: zapper
Originally Posted By: ONfrank
The MSRP in Canada is ridiculously high.

MSRP usually is way higher then real value. It's just starting point in negotiation.

True but I'm talking relative to American MSRP. As an example, the MSRP for the MP6/MP10 in Canada is somewhere around $3000/$4000. That should give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Of note; all digital pianos imported into Canada are subject to a 6% tariff.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Crumb's Makrokosmos Vol. II No. V Technical difficulties
by Digital Mozart
12/18/14 08:49 PM
Lifetime Piano Tunings with New Piano Purchase?
by MusicMasters
12/18/14 07:51 PM
Experienced pianist: digital piano to "replace" grand
by integris
12/18/14 05:39 PM
why do I suddenly have clacking bass notes
by music32
12/18/14 04:57 PM
Kawai Digital Piano
by Deegs23
12/18/14 03:28 PM
Forum Stats
77340 Members
42 Forums
159962 Topics
2349209 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission