Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2028159 - 02/06/13 02:54 PM Small framed console DPs
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Are they the future? Some sound terrible on account of their small power output, etc. But that need not be the case; indeed, it isn`t always. The specification level is high for their price.

There are comprehensive massive looking CVP Yamahas going for a song on ebay; nobody wants `em. . . the more I look at these compact pianos, the more I like them . . .

I might even bite . . . .

Edited by peterws (02/06/13 02:54 PM)

""

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2028161 - 02/06/13 02:55 PM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: peterws]
adak Offline

Loc: Canada
can you post a pic of what type of piano do you mean?

#2028178 - 02/06/13 03:23 PM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: peterws]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
Like a PX-780?

#2028227 - 02/06/13 04:38 PM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: peterws]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Originally Posted By: peterws
Are they the future?

No they are a total waste of money like all console DP's. Your paying a lot of money for some crappy fake wood cabinet and $20 speakers.

#2028270 - 02/06/13 05:59 PM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: Dr Popper]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Guess that`s me told . . .

""

#2028271 - 02/06/13 06:03 PM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: adak]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

http://www.promenademusic.co.uk/keyboard...-polished-ebony

Dunno how to post pictures here . . . Can`t even get me avatar on!

""

#2028282 - 02/06/13 06:14 PM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: Dr Popper]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Dr Popper
... like all console DP's. Your paying a lot of money for some crappy fake wood cabinet and $20 speakers.

...and yet there is a successful market for 'furniture' style DP's. Do you also classify these as consoles? Many people don't want an ugly slab, on an equally ugly stand, with equally ugly speakers in the living room. I know there are aesthetic exceptions, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but try convincing the (female) 'homemaker'.

#2028283 - 02/06/13 06:22 PM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: spanishbuddha]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: spanishbuddha
... like all console DP's. Your paying a lot of money for some crappy fake wood cabinet and $20 speakers.

...and yet there is a successful market for 'furniture' style DP's. Do you also classify these as consoles? Many people don't want an ugly slab, on an equally ugly stand, with equally ugly speakers in the living room. I know there are aesthetic exceptions, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but try convincing the (female) 'homemaker'.

I'm lucky that I don't live with a 'homemaker' (female or otherwise grin), so I never have to bother with aesthetics. Even so, a black slab on a black stand is still something of a leap of faith for one used to 'real' pianos. But the thought of paying an extra £1000 (or whatever) for a cabinet full of empty air and speakers that I'll never be able to use is too much to bear.....

#2028297 - 02/06/13 06:42 PM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: peterws]
chickenlump Offline

Call me vain, but the form factor and aesthetics was an important factor in choosing my DP, as long as function wasn't compromised. My CA95 has great speakers that I don't feel the need for an additional monitor... and I can leave it out in the living room. If I had a slab with wires everywhere and connected to external speakers, I would have to leave it in my study and I'd feel like I had to run off to my room to hide every time I played.
Here in the living room, I can play for family and friends, and be the target of my crazy cat who likes to jump up on my lap and try to attack my hands every time I play.

That is worth the extra cost to me. Now if only the CS10 was available when I purchased this piano... *sigh*

#2028469 - 02/07/13 12:21 AM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: spanishbuddha]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: spanishbuddha

If you want a big lump of pretty wood buy a real piano ... console DP's (ie: Furniture style as you call them) are a complete rip off. you pay thousands extra for fake stuff and terrible speakers.
I don't find keyboards ugly, or speakers ugly in fact some of the most beautiful things in the world to me are keyboards and I wouldn't marry anyone who did find them ugly.

#2028476 - 02/07/13 12:30 AM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: peterws]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
There's nothing wrong with getting a slim setup with a closing lid that fits in with the furniture. Not everyone wants a Nord planted in the middle of the living room on an X-stand with wires everywhere!

#2028497 - 02/07/13 02:11 AM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: spanishbuddha]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

People do want good looking furniture in their homes even if it is MDF veneered. I think they looked better years ago.

Damit, I cant get a picture to show . . .

Edited by peterws (02/07/13 03:35 AM)

""

#2028510 - 02/07/13 02:47 AM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: peterws]
adak Offline

it looks pretty good to me

Edited by adak (02/07/13 02:48 AM)

#2028543 - 02/07/13 04:44 AM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: peterws]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
... console DP's (ie: Furniture style as you call them) are a complete rip off. you pay thousands extra for fake stuff and terrible speakers.
I don't find keyboards ugly, or speakers ugly in fact some of the most beautiful things in the world to me are keyboards and I wouldn't marry anyone who did find them ugly.

Well I'm not here to defend consoles, but can you justify it with examples where the console version of a slab is thousands extra? In the UK the LX15 and CS9 were perhaps approaching that much more than their slab equivalent, but you pay for the 'design' of the cabinet and it's pretty good. I do agree that speakers and sound system could be better, but Kawai's introduction of a soundboard is interesting, and good speakers with a slab is difficult to get right, as shown by so many threads on this subject.

#2028544 - 02/07/13 04:51 AM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: peterws]
MVshabeer2 Offline

Are mid-range console speakers that bad? Ex - speakers on Roland HP 503/505, Yamaha CLP 440/470, Kawai CN34/CN43 etc..

#2028546 - 02/07/13 05:05 AM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: peterws]
MagicK Offline

Loc: Germany
My cn34 costs the same as a es7 with stand and pedals. So where is your point? And I wanted a piano that looks like as piano. Why can't some people in this forum accept that taste differs and looks sometimes matter.

And for real, a slab with a stand, lose pedal and even monitors in a living room looks awful.

#2028547 - 02/07/13 05:05 AM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: MVshabeer2]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MVshabeer2
Are mid-range console speakers that bad? Ex - speakers on Roland HP 503/505, Yamaha CLP 440/470, Kawai CN34/CN43 etc..

No but they aren't worth the thousands extra

#2028566 - 02/07/13 07:01 AM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: peterws]
MVshabeer2 Offline

But according to this thread, Simple things like music stand can make difference in the sound.
So I believe console pianos will have their own ambiance compared to exact slab

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post1759612

Originally Posted By: CMac
Originally Posted By: knotty
How does it sound?

Well, kinda like a piano I guess;)

The biggest difference I notice over playing with headphones on is the ambience that the cabinet brings to the sound. Listening with headphones on is akin to placing your head in the body of the piano a few inches above the strings. That is where the sound was recorded from but that is not the sound that we expect to hear when seated at the instrument. What we hear when playing a grand piano is significantly more complex than that. In my opinion to get a digital piano to sound more like a piano we really need to have either a second sample set that is recorded at the piano bench, model that location, or have a piano cabinet added to it;) In times past I never really noticed the change in a piano's sound when I moved the music rest forward two inches, but I sure notice it now. The difference between having the lid closed and on the first stick open is striking. I find myself opening and closing the lid not so much to tame the volume of the sound but rather to suit the mood that I feel when playing. I had no idea that I was going to get this when the project started. I am still modifying the equalization of the setup and probably will be for a few weeks yet. I find that the tonality of the sound changes so much as the different variables change. With the lid down the sound comes from the cabinet itself but more from bouncing off the floor. Flip over the top lid and the sound is now coming up from the top more. Seeing as how I can change the volume so easily it basically comes down to how I want the piano to sound when in that configuration. So before I do a youtube video I want to play with the eq a bit more until I am convinced that I have the sound I want. I don't know if I answered your question but I hope I made sense.

Edited by MVshabeer2 (02/07/13 07:02 AM)

#2028595 - 02/07/13 08:08 AM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: MVshabeer2]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MVshabeer2
But according to this thread, Simple things like music stand can make difference in the sound.
So I believe console pianos will have their own ambiance compared to exact slab

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post1759612

Originally Posted By: CMac
[quote=knotty]How does it sound?

Well, kinda like a piano I guess;)

The biggest difference I notice over playing with headphones on is the ambience that the cabinet brings to the sound. Listening with headphones on is akin to placing your head in the body of the piano a few inches above the strings. That is where the sound was recorded from but that is not the sound that we expect to hear when seated at the instrument. What we hear when playing a grand piano is significantly more complex than that. In my opinion to get a digital piano to sound more like a piano we really need to have either a second sample set that is recorded at the piano bench, model that location, or have a piano cabinet added to it;) In times past I never really noticed the change in a piano's sound when I moved the music rest forward two inches, but I sure notice it now. The difference between having the lid closed and on the first stick open is striking. I find myself opening and closing the lid not so much to tame the volume of the sound but rather to suit the mood that I feel when playing. I had no idea that I was going to get this when the project started. I am still modifying the equalization of the setup and probably will be for a few weeks yet. I find that the tonality of the sound changes so much as the different variables change. With the lid down the sound comes from the cabinet itself but more from bouncing off the floor. Flip over the top lid and the sound is now coming up from the top more. Seeing as how I can change the volume so easily it basically comes down to how I want the piano to sound when in that configuration. So before I do a youtube video I want to play with the eq a bit more until I am convinced that I have the sound I want. I don't know if I answered your question but I hope I made sense.

[/

If you think moving a music rest makes a difference go ahead .... Sounds like bull$hit to me
Sound is going to be different based on room and direction you will get the same effect bouncing a monitor speaker off the floor ceiling or opening or closing your lid in piano designer software. A few high end consoles put in nice sound (Kawai, Yamaha 480's etc) but its nothing you couldn't do far better with for 1/3 the cost by yourself. Your paying $2-3k extra for a look ... I'd think that was better spent on a acoustic or a semi console such as a ES7 or FP7F with the matching stands and pedal which look fine in a living room. I can't understand people paying for a look that's fake ... If you want the look get the real thing.

#2028690 - 02/07/13 11:27 AM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: peterws]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

"I can't understand people paying for a look that's fake ... If you want the look get the real thing."

Some digitals look a treat and are designed to appeal strongly. Others try to emulate a funky grand, and miss it; but that`s only my opinion. But if ya buy a slab on Ebay - it may have had more than a little use! Take a look at this aged beauty

http://www.muabanorgan.com/uploads/shop/pic/1306636695.nv.jpg

Edited by peterws (02/07/13 11:31 AM)

""

#2028732 - 02/07/13 12:32 PM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: peterws]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Dr Popper said: If you want a big lump of pretty wood buy a real piano ... console DP's (ie: Furniture style as you call them) are a complete rip off. you pay thousands extra for fake stuff and terrible speakers.

I follow your argument, emotionally, but in fact, experience proved different.

You come back to the market of pro/semi pro & home keyboards fully expecting that all-in-one furniture type things would be a monstrous waste of money - fit only for boring benighted lounges. But it isn't true - not here anyway.

Examples: the YDP 161 (good quality budget console DP from yamaha 20+20w) €931
Yamaha P155 (slab type - no legs or 'wood' casing 12+12w) €1140

The two yamahas are virtually the same DP in different boxes - the 'furniture' console type €209 CHEAPER.

Roland FP7-f (slab with speakers but no legs & only one pedal,I think) c.€1850
Roland HP302 (solid black console) €1350

The above two have virtually if not exactly the same sound engine, electronics and similar amp & speakers. Admittedly, the FP7-f has the fake ivory keys & third sensor. But frankly, I don't miss either feature.

And saved over €500 by getting a console.....not such a moronic and misguided buy as I'd first imagined. It is true the FP7f is better equipped (piano designer etc) but by far the cheapest way to have the essentials: SN sound engine & PHAII keyboard, was a 'furniture' type piano, not a 'slab' type.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2028973 - 02/07/13 07:55 PM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: toddy]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Examples: the YDP 161 (good quality budget console DP from yamaha 20+20w) €931
Yamaha P155 (slab type - no legs or 'wood' casing 12+12w) €1140

The two yamahas are virtually the same DP in different boxes - the 'furniture' console type €209 CHEAPER.

Yep its weird pricing for sure but its not representative of the rest of the world. The P-155 is usually cheaper by quite a bit.

Quote:
Roland FP7-f (slab with speakers but no legs & only one pedal,I think) c.€1850
Roland HP302 (solid black console) €1350

These two pianos are not comparable in features. The HP-302 is a two generations old PHA II board while the FP-7F is the current PHA III model. Compare the price of the FP-7F with the HP-505 to get a real apples for apples comparison on price.

Edited by Dr Popper (02/07/13 07:55 PM)

#2028991 - 02/07/13 08:28 PM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: Dr Popper]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
The HP-302 is a two generations old PHA II board...

Roland skipped a generation with the naming (HP-30x-->HP-50x), so it's effectively one generation old.

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2029076 - 02/08/13 12:13 AM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: Kawai James]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
The HP-302 is a two generations old PHA II board...

Roland skipped a generation with the naming (HP-30x-->HP-50x), so it's effectively one generation old.

James
x

Maybe they don't do even numbered series ? .... they can be odd. Even so ...it's OLD ...like me.

#2029083 - 02/08/13 12:22 AM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: peterws]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
I expect the HP-40x series was skipped either because of the number 4's association with death (in China/Japan), or simply to be 'one better' than the current generation Yamaha (CLP-4xx).

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2029493 - 02/08/13 08:11 PM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: peterws]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Some identically named actions (in slab and console) have a better feel in the console version ... not sure why.

#2029863 - 02/09/13 12:18 PM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: Dr Popper]
personne Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada

Compare the price of the FP-7F with the HP-505 to get a real apples for apples comparison on price.

It is still not apples to apple comparison.
HP-505 has better speakers and also Sound Projection technology which FP-7F does not have.
HP-505 has (30+5)x2 speakers, FP-7F 13x2.
HP-505 has 3 pedals and improved pedal system, FP-7F has only one.

#2029885 - 02/09/13 01:07 PM Re: Small framed console DPs [Re: peterws]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Dr Popper said: Yep its weird pricing for sure but its not representative of the rest of the world. The P-155 is usually cheaper [than the YDP161] by quite a bit.

This is Thomann, biggest music retailer in Europe & one of the biggest internationally:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_ydp161_b_arius.htm?sid=3af48817aa0bae3e29a6dc68a8a731c6

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_p155.htm

...which today are pricing the YDP161 at €990 while the p155 is €1325. Curious, I agree but there it is in black and white.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
111 registered (36251, Alpiano, amv256, ando, aesop, 32 invisible), 1730 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75920 Members
42 Forums
156886 Topics
2305198 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
YAMAHA SILENT PIANO HQ 300 SX - Information please!
by ernani
08/23/14 10:52 AM
CA95 and HP-508
by Alpiano
08/23/14 09:47 AM
Help - kawai rx2-c conservatory limited edition
by KungPaoPanda
08/23/14 08:53 AM
What kind of fingering should I be using for these phrases?
by Jormungandr
08/23/14 03:04 AM
Mason & Hamlin BB Long distance purchase a few questions
by bigun
08/23/14 02:26 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission