2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 11 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Originally Posted by thercman
However from what I have listened to thus far from that Casio, the sounds are well, still Casio. They just don't seem organic to me. Of course I probably don't have the best ear, but they still need work IMO. With that said, it has a lot of features and will fill a niche probably geared more toward a beginner player. This is just my impression of it so far...

I'm surprised to hear you say that because it sounds nothing like any previous product from Casio. I'll gladly put the new vintage sounds next to anything any of the competitors have to offer...and that is just one aspect of the PX-5S. I expect your impression will change when you play it.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
Originally Posted by Possum PX130
Originally Posted by Deltron
when will it be in stores?

April

For home use, what would you recommend for audio. Would 5" monitors be good, or would you say a keyboard amp or something with a lot of bass?

I would recommend a set of studio monitors. If size or cost is a concern many of the companies that sell 5" studio monitors also sell sub-woofers which you could add a later date. Otherwise I'd say save and get a set of 8" studio monitors. wink

+1 on the 8" monitors.

NP2, Arturia Laboratory 61

Addictive Keys, Kawai EX Pro
Heil PR-40 Mic, Allen & Heath Mixer, Yamaha HS80
P
P
Kawai VPC1 - already ordered.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
It may not be to your liking, but the PX-5S breaks new ground for Casio. Perhaps, Casio's sounds are not for everybody, but I don't think there is a keyboard out there that is considered perfect. They all have their hits and misses, regardless of the price they sell for. But make no mistake, Casio is going to sell a ton of PX-5S's and will no doubt rack up another key buy award for this board, and there seem to be plenty of pro players eager to try or buy this board.

Last edited by galaxy4t; 02/07/13 01:44 AM.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I meant in no way to slight Casio, Mike Martin and the new PX5. I simply did not get a chance to play it as the few times I did pass by the booth there was a demo with a band in progress. When I finally noticed the crowd had cleared out, I got word my ride was leaving.

I'm sure it will be right there with everything else at a very favorable price. Kudos to these guys for being able to offer this kind of sonic quality and versatility at that price point.

After months of research, patiently waiting for NAMM, and following the discussions that emerged from that... it looks like I'll be jumping on the PX-5S bandwagon. It hits the sweet spot for the sailboat rig (including not being insanely expensive... water corrodes; salt water corrodes absolutely).

It's a fine line at my decidedly non-professional level: I can't really justify the high-end stuff, but low-end stuff does not encourage time at the keyboard. I went to GC enroute back from the Seattle Boat Show, and was surprised at how many boards didn't feel very good (not just key action, but overall aesthetics). Once I got them to turn down the thin distorted rock blaring from bad in-ceiling speakers in the piano display room (!!!), I could even hear some of the sounds...

Ahem. Anyway, I think the new Casio offering will be delightful, judging by the feel of the PX-350 and all I've been reading, and there are computers a few inches away if I ever want to add more hardcore piano voices.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited by Nomadness; 02/07/13 02:35 AM.

Aboard Datawake in the San Juan Islands
(with boat piano)
Nomadic Research Labs
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
PX5S.......me too.

This instrument looked insanely cool, though it's not a digital.

D
D

Last edited by Deltron; 02/07/13 02:46 PM.
D
D

April

Does this apply to Europe as well?

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by thercman
However from what I have listened to thus far from that Casio, the sounds are well, still Casio. They just don't seem organic to me. Of course I probably don't have the best ear, but they still need work IMO. With that said, it has a lot of features and will fill a niche probably geared more toward a beginner player. This is just my impression of it so far...

I'm surprised to hear you say that because it sounds nothing like any previous product from Casio. I'll gladly put the new vintage sounds next to anything any of the competitors have to offer...and that is just one aspect of the PX-5S. I expect your impression will change when you play it.

Hey Mike! Yes, that could very well be the case. I look forward to hearing some recordings by people that pick it up....

NP2, Arturia Laboratory 61

Addictive Keys, Kawai EX Pro
Heil PR-40 Mic, Allen & Heath Mixer, Yamaha HS80

April

Does this apply to Europe as well?

I think so, but it may be the end if the month (after Musik Messe)

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yeah I say kudos to Casio. It impresses the heck out of me that they are able to put as good of an action as they have in such a lightweight package. The actions in the new PX series is certainly a step up from the action in my Nord Piano. I think one of the best parts to owning a Nord and why I'm so loyal to their products is the design approach, the quality of sounds, the updated free sound libraries, the quality accessories, and top notch customer service. I'm surprised brands like Korg, Casio, Kurzweil, etc don't offer similar sound libraries. This alone is worth paying the premium for Nord's products.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyruke
This instrument looked insanely cool, though it's not a digital.

Wow! Kind of a motorized hurdy-gurdy.

V
V
How about PX-5S in China? If yes, will defintely collect one when released. I emailed Casio EMI in Shanghai but they don't know about plans bout this. It took PX-3S four more months to be available in China than the rest of the world.

Last edited by Vampire Killer; 02/08/13 10:12 AM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission