Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
151 registered (A Guy, acollins, ajames, Almaviva, 41 invisible), 1861 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2028572 - 02/07/13 07:25 AM is nord electro 4D a gigging dream come true?
zapper Offline

I mean only 22lb (7kg) great organ and piano sounds plus very compact and sturdy case without mod wheels etc which I never use actually looks to me as a must have for quick gigs. I feel like I'm falling slowly for it. Unfortunately my RD700GX is not giggable without porter laugh

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2028575 - 02/07/13 07:36 AM Re: is nord electro 4D a gigging dream come true? [Re: zapper]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
If you play piano and Rhodes, waterfall keyboard wouldn't be so good.

#2028580 - 02/07/13 07:50 AM Re: is nord electro 4D a gigging dream come true? [Re: CyberGene]
zapper Offline

Originally Posted By: CyberGene
If you play piano and Rhodes, waterfall keyboard wouldn't be so good.

actually nord waterfall keys are pretty good for pianos as well,
sure not for any demanding pieces but completely usable and have nice feel under fingers.

#2028612 - 02/07/13 08:47 AM Re: is nord electro 4D a gigging dream come true? [Re: zapper]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

If you're looking for real drawbars and piano in one unit, there aren't a lot of options... Nord, Hammond SK1 (or SK2), the forthcoming Roland VR-09 and older VR-700. For playing piano and organ from the same keybed, I'd say that the VR-700 feels best, but it's bulky and heavy (though not as bad as an RD700!). For actual sound quality of the piano, the Nord would be the pick, but I really don't like playing piano from their unweighted action. Other than that, each of these models has features the other ones lack.

#2028734 - 02/07/13 12:39 PM Re: is nord electro 4D a gigging dream come true? [Re: anotherscott]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
There would be no way I could play piano from that particular keyboard. I'd have to have at least the HP..and even that is inferior to the Piano 2 or Stage 2. It is a nice board and I've actually thought of getting the E4 HP myself.

2005 NY Steinway D

#2028793 - 02/07/13 02:08 PM Re: is nord electro 4D a gigging dream come true? [Re: Dave Ferris]
zapper Offline

I'd rather have HP as well but not 73 keys - Electro 4 HP is almost twice as heavy 11 kg (24.25 lbs) and much bigger what
disqualifies it for me. Gigging keyboard has to meet 2 criteria - fit inside mini cooper on passenger seat and weigh less then 20lb ( or 10kg).

#2028814 - 02/07/13 03:11 PM Re: is nord electro 4D a gigging dream come true? [Re: zapper]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
If I were you, I would rather have a bigger car than a lighter piano wink By the way, I remember I was able to fit my Yamaha P90 in the passenger space (with the seat slightly pulled back) in my ex Mazda MX-3 which would hardly qualify as a big car laugh If it could fit in the tiny Mazda, it would certainly fit in the MINI as well.

#2028836 - 02/07/13 04:03 PM Re: is nord electro 4D a gigging dream come true? [Re: zapper]
fizikisto Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
Well, if you're really bothered by playing the piano sounds from the semi-weighted keyboard you could always midi up a controller with a more piano-like action. Play the nord's piano sounds from the controller and play the organ from the 4D (or you could rig up the controller as a second manual even). Something like the new casio px5s seems ideal for that (light and relatively inexpensive).

#2028845 - 02/07/13 04:15 PM Re: is nord electro 4D a gigging dream come true? [Re: zapper]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Yes, Nord sound + Good quality weighted action = an excellent combination.

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2029180 - 02/08/13 07:22 AM Re: is nord electro 4D a gigging dream come true? [Re: zapper]
kiedysktos. Offline

Loc: Europe, Poland
Unfortunately Electro 4 isn't multitimbral - you can't play both piano on weighted controller and organ on NE4 at the same time.

#2029185 - 02/08/13 07:33 AM Re: is nord electro 4D a gigging dream come true? [Re: kiedysktos.]
zapper Offline

Originally Posted By: kiedysktos.
Unfortunately Electro 4 isn't multitimbral - you can't play both piano on weighted controller and organ on NE4 at the same time.

yeas that's a bummer but you can sing and play at the same time laugh

#2359339 - 12/07/14 05:25 PM Re: is nord electro 4D a gigging dream come true? [Re: zapper]
tommyman Offline

Loc: NY, USA
I've had an SK-1 for a few years, and really like it. I just came into a Roland VR-09, and some of the organ sounds are exciting me now. The clav/organ combinations on the SK-1 seem funkier though, as far as I can program them. The VR-09 has some really surprising limitations - it's hard to turn down the level of the Delay - most delay types it offers are set to equal level to the dry sound, with no editing access, even in their iPad app. The 'Insert Effect" (Roland calls it MFX) will apply itself to your organ and synth, or organ and piano, or piano and synth, or both synths in a layer. . . As these effects are pretty extreme, you'll want to have one component of the sound you're playing dry, and this seems impossible on a layer (though possible on some split configurations.)
Some of the VR-09 limitations seems such that they could be addressed in a future OS update. I don't know where to make such suggestions to Roland, although I'm sure they are quite aware of the limitations they've built into the VR-09 as it now stands, for either cost or cannibalization reasons.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
It's Beethoven's birthday today...
by Polyphonist
3 minutes 14 seconds ago
Elbow pain
by acollins
Today at 12:49 PM
an interesting find . . .
by Michael Sayers
Today at 11:00 AM
Choosing a Beethoven sonata
by MusicDoc
Today at 10:48 AM
Synth/Keyboard beginner need help with equipment purchase
by Seraphmoon
Today at 10:40 AM
Forum Stats
77325 Members
42 Forums
159939 Topics
2348782 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission