Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2027049 - 02/04/13 05:58 PM can you negotiate when buying a digital piano?
adak Offline

Loc: Canada
i was under the impression that the price listed was the price you pay yet i read some posts saying they bought it for a significantly lower price, for example the roland v piano.

when is it ok is bargain and how would you do it?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#2027065 - 02/04/13 06:32 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: adak]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: adak
i was under the impression that the price listed was the price you pay yet i read some posts saying they bought it for a significantly lower price, for example the roland v piano.

when is it ok is bargain and how would you do it?

I bought my V-Piano at a discounted price......and the dealer threw in a pair of good AKG headphones and a music stand too. This was in the UK, boxed and brand new.

#2027096 - 02/04/13 07:37 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: bennevis]
mitzysman Offline

Yes

#2027102 - 02/04/13 07:48 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: adak]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Mad if you don't.

#2027103 - 02/04/13 07:50 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: adak]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
In the US when you buy a digital piano from a regular piano dealer you can indeed negotiate the price and it is more or less standard practice. Have a look in the PianoBuyer as it lists street prices of various models:

http://www.pianobuyer.com/fall12/262.html

Edited by Amaruk (02/04/13 07:55 PM)

#2027106 - 02/04/13 07:51 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: adak]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
When is it ok is bargain?
ALWAYS. Every deal can be negotiated. Pianos and anything else.

How to do it?
Simple. Do your homework and then make an offer.
Forget about getting the seller to lower his asking price.
Instead, allow him to try to get you to raise your asking offer.

#2027123 - 02/04/13 08:54 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: adak]
adak Offline

can bargaining be done if buying from an online website?

forgot to mention, i am also in canada and prices are a bit higher than US prices.

#2027132 - 02/04/13 09:07 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: adak]
o0Ampy0o Offline

Online? Depends on the store. Amazon ...no you cannot even speak to a live salesperson for a sale price but they do have sale prices without negotiation. Musician's Friend ...yes if you call them instead of doing transaction online, BH Photo ...they will discuss this through e-mail.

Try local merchants also and see what they are willing to do to compete with online prices. You might end up paying more but they will probably take good care of you to make up the difference.

#2027133 - 02/04/13 09:09 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: adak]
hamlet cat Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert
As the holder of the cash, you most certainly should negotiate. Keep in mind that that vast majority of sales people are on commission. They want the sale, and in most cases will take a lower sale price instead of watching you walk out the door.

MacMacMac gave you the key. Apply the points he mentioned and be willing to walk out the door.

One more thing, never go when the store is busy. smile

#2027544 - 02/05/13 04:16 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: adak]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
When I bought a DP I went to a number of dealers. Tried out the pianos, and went back to find out what they`d do it for. The lowest priced was what I bought.

But it arrived on the slowww train .. . .

""

#2027559 - 02/05/13 04:39 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: adak]
zapper Offline

man, you should negotiate everything in life...

#2027703 - 02/05/13 08:46 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: adak]
adak Offline

how about in canada when the competitors are much fewer? I think there is only 1 kawai digital piano seller in the whole country.

#2027705 - 02/05/13 08:51 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: adak]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
adak, I believe there are a number of Kawai digital piano dealers in Canada.

If you require assistance find a dealer, my recommendation would be to contact Kawai America using the information at the page below:

http://kawaius.com/nav_links/contacts2010.html

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2027708 - 02/05/13 08:52 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: adak]
chickenlump Offline

how about in canada when the competitors are much fewer? I think there is only 1 kawai digital piano seller in the whole country.

where in canada are you?

#2027712 - 02/05/13 08:56 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: chickenlump]
adak Offline

toronto

#2027715 - 02/05/13 08:59 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: adak]
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
There is one in the Vancouver area with two stores.

#2027731 - 02/05/13 09:42 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: adak]
chickenlump Offline

I purchased mine from merriam music in oakville. they have a store in vaughn as well i believe. http://www.merriammusic.com/

#2027759 - 02/05/13 11:00 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: adak]
hamlet cat Offline

It has nothing to do with the number of dealers in your area. It has to do with how many commissions the sales person wants to make this paycheck.

#2027876 - 02/06/13 04:36 AM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: hamlet cat]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Exactly ...
Originally Posted By: ron88
It has nothing to do with the number of dealers in your area. It has to do with how many commissions the sales person wants to make this paycheck.
Sure, dealers may feel more pressure when there is a nearby competing dealer. But as a buyer, you need not depend on that kind of competition. Instead, look at it this way: The dealer isn't competing with another dealer. He's competing with you. YOU are the competition. YOU control your spending. That is your source of power in any negotiation.

#2027886 - 02/06/13 05:53 AM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: MacMacMac]
zapper Offline

Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
Sure, dealers may feel more pressure when there is a nearby competing dealer. But as a buyer, you need not depend on that kind of competition. Instead, look at it this way: The dealer isn't competing with another dealer. He's competing with you. YOU are the competition. YOU control your spending. That is your source of power in any negotiation.

thumb
you negotiate with the sale person. It's just business,
nothing personal. No sentiments no pardon, an American way laugh
No wonder we have the best sales people in the world.
The best way is play reluctant buyer and negotiate in the same time with at least few dealers. You'll will be surprised with the effect.

#2027902 - 02/06/13 06:26 AM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: zapper]
dkong99 Offline

It's actually pretty much the way of the world. In some countries they are insulted if you don't attempt to bargain for the merchandise.

Just remember, the worse case scenario is that they say no and if they don't want to make a deal that day, just walk away.

#2028084 - 02/06/13 12:48 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: adak]
adak Offline

i just called about 5 piano stores in canada, so far everything is list price, damn i hate shopping in canada

#2028117 - 02/06/13 01:34 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: adak]
chickenlump Offline

i just called about 5 piano stores in canada, so far everything is list price, damn i hate shopping in canada

I think most places will only tell you their MSRP over the phone, you should visit the store directly and deal with them.

#2028118 - 02/06/13 01:34 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: MacMacMac]
KataiYubi Offline

Exactly ...

Economics 101: prices are the product of supply and demand. High supply (many dealers in a country) -> lower prices. Low supply -> higher prices.

Plus the following argument: a dealer wants to earn a steady income. If he knows he will sell only infrequently (as in Canada), he will not let any of his few sales be unprofitable for himself and will less likely accept low offers. In a customer-rich environment, the dealer has a smooth income already, and may be more prone to make less on a few sales because of negotiation.

I compared the prices in Canada vs. the US and in the Great White North, we pay about double of what you pay in the US, even though the Canadian Loonie is at parity with the $US. If I show up in a Canadian store and make an offer at the average US price (doing my "homework"), the dealer will laugh at my face. Starting the negociation at 50% lower puts you into the category of Bozo the Clown, not that of a serious buyer.

Anyways - I'm not in the market for digitals anymore. Maybe in 10 years...

Edited by KataiYubi (02/06/13 01:39 PM)

#2028128 - 02/06/13 02:01 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: adak]
Clayman Offline

Loc: Prague, Czech Rep.
An interesting thought but I can't really see myself bargaining for a lower price in any of the local musical instrument shops -- partly because I most likely wouldn't dare engage in such a thing but also -- and more importantly, I think -- because it's not a common thing to do around here. The larger vendors do compete on price between each other but in a way that they will offer you a better price only if you show them that you can get what you want for less elsewhere. However, I don't think I could just walk in and start asking for a better price on a whim.

Edited by Clayman (02/06/13 02:05 PM)

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown

#2028194 - 02/06/13 03:45 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: Clayman]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
My experience is that stores will sometimes refuse to lower the listed price -- but they will (if asked!) be willing to include 'freebies' related to the purchase:

. . . a stand;

. . . a gig bag;

. . . sheet music;

. . . a pedal (to replace the "stock" Casio PX-150 pedal).

Also, I suspect that a $5,000 price is more "negotiable" than a $500 price. The higher-priced item is harder to sell, and carries (probably) a higher profit margin for the store. So there's more "wiggle room" for the salesman.

. Charles

#2028205 - 02/06/13 03:59 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: Charles Cohen]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Clayman: I wouldn't bother showing them that I can buy elsewhere for less. Doing so puts you right in the middle of the market competition. If there is little competition in the region, there's little chance of success with that strategy.

So instead, I would seek to create a different kind of competition: Let the dealer compete with ME. I'll only buy at the right price. I always have an alternative: not buying at all. That's what the dealer must compete with.

KataiYubi: Sure, if you start the negotiation at 50% below list you won't be taken seriously. I think 35% off of list (in the US) is rock-bottom. I would offer 30% off.

chickenlump: You're right: Dealers will only give list prices on the phone ... or might not offer any pricing information. But that's okay. You can't negotiate price on the phone anyway.

Negotiation should be face-to-face. Spend the time and visit the dealer ... and show that you're willing to buy.

If you're thinking that you'll save time by working a deal on the phone: don't. Trying to save time in a negotiation is a losing strategy. He who is short of time is likely to lose. He who has time to spare is likely to be successful.

#2028208 - 02/06/13 04:05 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: adak]
Dominik Offline

As I bought my NU1, the dealer bought my 1 year old DP at its new price. This is also a way to negotiate.

#2028239 - 02/06/13 04:54 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: KataiYubi]
hamlet cat Offline

Originally Posted By: KataiYubi
Exactly ...

Economics 101: prices are the product of supply and demand. High supply (many dealers in a country) -> lower prices. Low supply -> higher prices.

Plus the following argument: a dealer wants to earn a steady income. If he knows he will sell only infrequently (as in Canada), he will not let any of his few sales be unprofitable for himself and will less likely accept low offers. In a customer-rich environment, the dealer has a smooth income already, and may be more prone to make less on a few sales because of negotiation.

I compared the prices in Canada vs. the US and in the Great White North, we pay about double of what you pay in the US, even though the Canadian Loonie is at parity with the $US. If I show up in a Canadian store and make an offer at the average US price (doing my "homework"), the dealer will laugh at my face. Starting the negociation at 50% lower puts you into the category of Bozo the Clown, not that of a serious buyer.

Anyways - I'm not in the market for digitals anymore. Maybe in 10 years...

Bottom line is, you are either a wise consumer and negotiate sales terms and price based on studied knowledge, or a pushover consumer that pays the asking price.

Nobody is suggesting acting like "Bozo the Clown", and offering 50%. That is an extreme, somewhat like "digital is garbage".

#2028254 - 02/06/13 05:24 PM Re: can you negotiate when buying a digital piano? [Re: adak]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
I understood it as offering 50% off list price in Canada, which would be about the average selling price in the US but I don't know.

Edited by Amaruk (02/06/13 05:25 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tips for Reducing Key Noise
by Dwscamel
09/20/14 02:25 PM
DVD recording
by jtattoo
09/20/14 12:45 PM
upgrade from Kawai CN34 to CA65 - how much to pay
by khopin
09/20/14 12:39 PM
Seiler 186 Maestro Grand
by Sam4
09/20/14 12:13 PM
Pain in hands while playing piano - looking for advice!
by Justin_B
09/20/14 10:15 AM
Who's Online
121 registered (Aaron Garner, accordeur, ando, alfredo capurso, allakart, 39 invisible), 1360 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157644 Topics
2315547 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission