Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#2029500 - 02/08/13 08:28 PM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: GeorgeB]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Please don't quote inappropriate posts - it only encourages the trolls and takes twice as long to delete.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2029507 - 02/08/13 08:42 PM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: GeorgeB]
ju5t1n-h Offline

Loc: Vancouver, British Columbia
This thread needs to be closed... moderators?

#2029515 - 02/08/13 08:53 PM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: carey]
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By: carey
Originally Posted By: Old Man
Originally Posted By: carey
Originally Posted By: FSO
No no, Carey, let RonaldSteinway explain, I assume, himself; which of those qualities do heterosexuals miss out on? And females...? Um...I'm not judging your assertions but...it strikes me that you're insinuating that gay men have the highest chance of being perfect human beings...you're making some pretty bold claims here laugh

ha I didn't even want to acknowledge the "female" comment. Would any of our female PW members like to chime in here???? grin

I think one of them just did. She even addressed you by name. grin

You got me on that one !! smile

Actually, I had an unfair advantage. I had used the wrong pronoun on another thread, and then apologized. Her response was "Pfft, it happens", which endeared her to me forever. laugh

#2029516 - 02/08/13 08:55 PM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: GeorgeB]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
There's only been one moderator report so far, and I don't see a compelling reason to close it just yet. It's a dangerous topic, and my guess is the thread will go sour soon enough, but there are a few interesting ideas here and there, so I'll wait it out a bit longer.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2029521 - 02/08/13 08:59 PM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: ju5t1n-h]
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By: ju5t1n-h
This thread needs to be closed... moderators?
Why?

It will close of its own accord, like any other thread. So far, I think it's been interesting and 99% civil.

#2029532 - 02/08/13 09:15 PM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: GeorgeB]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: Kreisler
There's only been one moderator report so far...

Amazing, those wimps who whine to a moderator at something perceived as offensive. Why not just stay off the thread? And during my commute home from work I seem to have missed some excitement!

And there have been some interesting ideas here...

#2029534 - 02/08/13 09:26 PM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: GeorgeB]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK, Brighton
Words of your own have had similar enough effect on me, Old Man <3 Um...I rather like this thread; a lot of liberally minded enough people posting comments innocuously enough whilst worrying that their own wording or the wording of others might incite some form of homophobic revolt. I mean, um, this thread's hardly about to get out of hand; even the Horowitz quote became deconstructed so as to ensure all that no offence is being taken or received, transmitted or otherwise left lying around... laugh *and*, whilst the conservatively liberal may disagree, the thread began with a valid topic to which all the subsequent posts have pertained some degree of relevance; to close it at this juncture would be, in a way, to say that this is something that *shouldn't* be talked about...anyone who can't see the adverse long term effects of such needs binoculars...soo...um, thank you, Kreisler, for not blowing up the ship before it has a chance to sprig leaks and be abandoned.
Xxx

#2029537 - 02/08/13 09:36 PM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: argerichfan]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: argerichfan

Amazing, those wimps who whine to a moderator at something perceived as offensive.
The moderator agreed that the post was offensive. He deleted it and called it inappropriate.

#2029539 - 02/08/13 09:37 PM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: FSO]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: FSO
... whilst the conservatively liberal may disagree...

Not quite sure what that means... but considering your location, I should imagine you as quite socially liberal. wink

#2029542 - 02/08/13 09:40 PM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: pianoloverus]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
The moderator agreed that the post was offensive. He deleted it and called it inappropriate.

Well of course I never saw it... but still curious.

#2029544 - 02/08/13 09:42 PM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: GeorgeB]
fledgehog Offline

Loc: West Hartford, CT
I find it fascinating how easily some people take offense -- just because somebody said the word "gay" doesn't automatically make them homophobic or anti-gay. So far as I can tell, nothing in the OP is derogatory, insulting, or degrading. I think rather than getting all up in arms about "it shouldn't matter", we should all realize that no, it doesn't matter...but that doesn't mean it's not still an interesting correlation to study.

My own theory is that while male pianists are not more likely to be gay, gay men are more likely to be pianists. A lot of it has to do with the emotional sensitivity that many "alpha" type straight guys repress, or simply don't possess in the first place, and the fact that being a good performer requires a certain amount of outward flamboyancy. There are flamboyant straight men, and there are introverted gay men, I'm not trying to make any blanket statements here, but the point is that it's a fair point. It doesn't really matter, but it's still an interesting topic for idle discussion -- so long as people can realize the difference between discussing sexuality and being homophobic.

#2029548 - 02/08/13 09:52 PM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: fledgehog]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: fledgehog
I think rather than getting all up in arms about "it shouldn't matter", we should all realize that no, it doesn't matter...but that doesn't mean it's not still an interesting correlation to study.

Perfectly defining for me what I mean by "conservatively liberal"; Um...it's...well, homing in on notions, questions or even words that merely border non-"politically correct" in an attempt to enforce a free and loving environment rather than allowing one to grow naturally...
Edit: and yes...um...you could arguably call me socially liberal but don't let on; it's an awfully weak position to start off at laugh

Edited by FSO (02/08/13 09:54 PM)
Edit Reason: Stated

#2029549 - 02/08/13 10:00 PM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: argerichfan]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Amazing, those wimps who whine to a moderator at something perceived as offensive. Why not just stay off the thread? And during my commute home from work I seem to have missed some excitement!

Not really. smile

#2029562 - 02/08/13 10:41 PM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: GeorgeB]
Ridicolosamente Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Miami, Florida, USA
Few thoughts:

1 -
My own theory is that while male pianists are not more likely to be gay, gay men are more likely to be pianists.
Interesting - kinda like "gymnastics doesn't make people short, short people make good gymnasts." But I don't think that necessarily applies here. Do fat people make better opera singers? I don't know - the yummy Jonas Kaufmann does pretty well for himself.

2 -
This topic comes up from time to time, and I always find it humorous how some enter conniption territory over such an innocent curiosity. "IT DOESN'T MATTER!!!1111" So Argerich likes (or liked...) her coffee and cigarettes, some pianists like french vanilla ice cream, and you know what? I would be interested to know if it turns out many "great" pianists like peanut butter on their bagels as much as I do? Why does it matter? I'm curious - stop getting so angry about it.

3 -
I also find it interesting that so many have chimed in - though no one has identified as gay. I am gay - and a very out-of-practice pianist smile I'm curious is all - NO IT DOESN'T MATTER!!!!111111

4-
As a gay man, I think there's credence to the suggested - it's simply easier to "be" gay in the arts. I'm out - but trust me that working in construction, it's not as comfortable to talk freely of my partner and love life. Things have improved, but it's still awkward for some. We'll get there...

-Daniel

#2029567 - 02/08/13 10:50 PM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: GeorgeB]
GeorgeB Offline
500 Post Club Member

You can't compare being fat to being gay (no offence). You can lose weight more easily than to change your own instincts.

#2029569 - 02/08/13 11:03 PM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: GeorgeB]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

FSO, you quoted the wrong post. laugh

#2029572 - 02/08/13 11:13 PM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: GeorgeB]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

I don't plagiarise the future, it's not my style. GeorgeB...well, firstly you *can't* change instincts consciously, that's what makes them instincts, and secondly...um...don't you think fat people have an instinct for cake? laugh

#2029628 - 02/09/13 02:15 AM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: RonaldSteinway]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: RonaldSteinway
This is my thought why many good pianists are gay.

In order to play piano well, there are many qualities needed:

1. Sensitivity.
2. Physical agility and endurance (fingers movement, endurance to practice for a long time).
3. Strong thinking ability (like to figure out complex stuff).
4. Persistence and focus in reaching the goal
5. Meticulous and detail oriented .

Gay men have more chance to possess those required qualities, that is why many of them are more equipped to be good pianists. Females or Hetero men usually lack of one or more of the above components.

I'm confused. If I look at your list, then I would say that women would have an advantage over men for the majority of the items on your list based on some of the inherent observed biological and evolutionary psychological differences between the sexes (which are considered just as taboo or even more so to discuss in some circles). Yet, we all know that over the past couple hundred of years there have been many more male master pianists with long and spectacular careers than female ones... Something else is clearly going on here. And I think we all know exactly what, too.

We are all products of our social environment.

Gay men can hide the fact that they are homosexual (or at least depend on those who enforce an oppressive and creepy "Don't Ask, Don't Tell!" mask of silence)

However, outside of the odd Isaac Bashevis Singer short story, women can't hide the fact that they are women.

#2029635 - 02/09/13 02:42 AM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: GeorgeB]
Fugue14 Offline

Knowing someone's sexual orientation is about as relevant as knowing how thoroughly they wipe after a bowel movement.

#2029638 - 02/09/13 03:01 AM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: Fugue14]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: Fugue14
Knowing someone's sexual orientation is about as relevant as knowing how thoroughly they wipe after a bowel movement.

Both are important when looking for a mate I guess smile

For me this subject is interesting because I am a sociologist, not on personal level. But if I look at my personal experience: I have lots of friends and acquintances who are openly gay and a few who are still in the closet. They come from all areas of professional life. Only a couple are involved with arts. I also know some very good musicians and they are not gay. So I wonder how piano would be in any way special in this regard...

OH, and I now understand why I will never be a good piano player...it's my gender! grin

Edited by outo (02/09/13 03:04 AM)

#2029648 - 02/09/13 04:08 AM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: GeorgeB]
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
Bottomline is , no one can spot a woman or a man playing a certain piece. I don't believe for a second anyone would undergo a 100 sample test and get consistent results guessing whether its a woman or a mn playing. Let alone a homosexual, gay or lesbian. Same chance of guessing that you would have if you had to guess whether the person playing is bald , blonde or has a big nose. I think this discussion is a bit like some of 20th century "classical" music. It s legit as it explores many paths just for the sake of finding out where they ll take us, and whether tehy will take us anywhere. . But after some discussion, you realize, when you arrive at the end of those paths, there s nothing to see there.

#2029652 - 02/09/13 04:22 AM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: izaldu]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: izaldu
Bottomline is , no one can spot a woman or a man playing a certain piece. I don't believe for a second anyone would undergo a 100 sample test and get consistent results guessing whether its a woman or a mn playing.

This misses the point, I believe.

The question is not: "Can you hear the difference between all men and all women playing the piano while listening blindly?"

The question is: "Why have there been so few women master pianists (or women composers for that matter) with life long careers?"

This question is even more urgent when one realizes that in the course of the history of the piano many more women than men have been introduced to and trained on the instrument while a substantial portion of the classical sonata literature was even written with these women in mind.

The answer of course is that, in general, social norms required successful women pianists and composers to stop (or at least hide) their professional-level activities at such time as their father or husband, themselves blindly obeying social conventions, instructed them to do so.

#2029657 - 02/09/13 04:41 AM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: argerichfan]
zapper Offline

Exactly right, Offnote's post was not offensive at all. It was very funny comment
Actually. Many here are very prudish or/and from the past as I see it. If you cannot stand
Open comments from everybody do not allow off topic threads at all and close this thread.

#2029668 - 02/09/13 06:03 AM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: zapper]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: zapper

Exactly right, Offnote's post was not offensive at all. It was very funny comment
Actually. Many here are very prudish or/and from the past as I see it. If you cannot stand
Open comments from everybody do not allow off topic threads at all and close this thread.

I don't remember the whole thing, but it struck me as inappropriate for this forum. Besides the crudeness of the double entendre (which IMO wasn't really all that funny or clever), the tone could have been read as being a bit malicious - it wasn't all that clear that the poster approved of the subject matter.

At any rate, this isn't the place for dirty jokes. It just isn't (and that has nothing to do with personal prudishness, as anybody who knows me in real life would tell you).

#2029671 - 02/09/13 06:09 AM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: Fugue14]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
Originally Posted By: Fugue14

That's extremely important to know. Especially if you're gay.

#2029672 - 02/09/13 06:16 AM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: Ridicolosamente]
CHAS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ski Country of Colorado
Originally Posted By: Ridicolosamente
Few thoughts:

3 -
I also find it interesting that so many have chimed in - though no one has identified as gay. I am gay - and a very out-of-practice pianist smile I'm curious is all - NO IT DOESN'T MATTER!!!!11111

-Daniel

I quoted Horowitz and stated that I was two out of three. Did you think I am Jewish? smile

#2029674 - 02/09/13 06:17 AM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: GeorgeB]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
I thought I implied pretty strongly that I'm of that persuasion lol

#2029676 - 02/09/13 06:28 AM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: fledgehog]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA

My own theory is that while male pianists are not more likely to be gay, gay men are more likely to be pianists. A lot of it has to do with the emotional sensitivity that many "alpha" type straight guys repress, or simply don't possess in the first place, and the fact that being a good performer requires a certain amount of outward flamboyancy. There are flamboyant straight men, and there are introverted gay men, I'm not trying to make any blanket statements here, but the point is that it's a fair point. It doesn't really matter, but it's still an interesting topic for idle discussion -- so long as people can realize the difference between discussing sexuality and being homophobic.

Sorry but this is just plain wrong. A man's musical sensitivity has nothing to do with being gay. It has to do with being a good musician. Period.

#2029677 - 02/09/13 06:32 AM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: wr]
zapper Offline

Originally Posted By: wr

At any rate, this isn't the place for dirty jokes. It just isn't (and that has nothing to do with personal prudishness, as anybody who knows me in real life would tell you).

Gush, explain to us how it was a dirty joke...and yes you are prudish.

#2029680 - 02/09/13 06:36 AM Re: The piano and homosexuality [Re: zapper]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wr

Gush, explain to us how it was a dirty joke...and yes you are prudish.

Nope, ain't gonna bite.

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
need help with deciding between digital and acoustic
by luvboise713
09/18/14 04:16 PM
Sight reading problems
by pianosNpreschooler
09/18/14 03:23 PM
Hello! I have a question about playing for cocktail parties.
by albumblatter
09/18/14 03:10 PM
Piano Concerto in F, Op. 2 Arensky, Anton
by antony
09/18/14 02:33 PM
How Much Are Piano Lessons Usually
by Korsario
09/18/14 01:56 PM
Who's Online
129 registered (accordeur, 255, ajames, 3times2, 40 invisible), 1521 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157607 Topics
2315030 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission