2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, 10 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2028542 02/07/13 05:40 AM
V
Vince R Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hi,

I am having a bit of a tough time with sight reading. I have the flashcards and use on line tools but I still find myself having to 'calculate' what the note is. Is this a normal problem for beginners ?
I know it is natural for the brain to want to calculate and it may need to be trained.

I don't have a keyboard yet (getting one soon) and I hoping that it will help to corporate 'muscle memory'. Am I on the right track ? Can anyone offer more advice ?

Vincent

Here is the trick to learn almost all the notes within a month, so you won't need to count lines and spaces up and down nevermore:

1) print these flashcards: bass clef and treble clef

2) plasticize and cut them

3) Follow this plan: first day take the lower C, D, E from both clefs (6 cards). shuffle and read them again and again. Every once in a while shuffle them again. Next day add the F from both clefs and repeat de operation. Each day add one note from each clef (two cards) to the deck. Read them 10 minutes a day.

Three to four weeks and you'll never need to calculate the notes again.

Last edited by supertorpe; 02/07/13 07:31 AM.

Learning piano from 01 March 2010 to 2015. Restarting in 2020.
- Ex: Yamaha P-85, Kawai ES-4
- Current: Kawai CA-63
- Videos
- soundcloud
Think months and years mate ;-) even though its disheartening... progress will be there if you practice right. When you get a keyboard, linking a laptop with midi cable and doing sight reading/playing excercises is really beneficial.... but any practice will benefit. :-)

W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Vince R
I am having a bit of a tough time with sight reading. I have the flashcards and use on line tools but I still find myself having to 'calculate' what the note is. Is this a normal problem for beginners ?

It's a normal problem. I recall having to work very hard to read notes, particularly notes on ledger lines, when I was first learning piano and being able to read a page from sight is something that took many years.

I wasn't the quickest student though, so I bet you'll be able to learn it faster. Keep at it and don't worry if it doesn't happen overnight.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
V
Vince R Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hi,
thank you for the good advice. I already have the flashcards (Alfred) . I'll take your recommendation.

Please pass on any more hints for an older adult beginner like me, it will be appreciated.

thank you

Vincent

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
It's a lot like learning to read (language/books). Music is another language with its own "words". Notes are letters, and chords are words. It took you months to recognize letters (ABC's), more months for whole words, and even more months for sentences, paragraphs, and entire stories. Same process for music.

The more you read, and the more often you practice it, the better you will get.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Hi Vincent,

I have had a stroke. I have brain damage. I have memory problems. I am dyslexic. I am 63 learning to play the piano.

I took a book 1 piano book. There are lots of them. And I sat down at the piano bench and played that book from start to finish and continue to do so everyday. I have no prolblem reading music. It is that simple. The books cost about $10.00 any piano store. Yes, you need a piano. Yes, you have to play the music very slowly without mistakes. Yes, it works.
Learning to play the piano is a very, very, very slow process that takes years sitting on the piano bench. Welcome to the club. Age is a non-issue. Commitment is a must.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Vince R
I don't have a keyboard yet (getting one soon)

Don't worry about it until you have the keyboard and you can hear the results of what you're doing. Anything you do with muscle memory before that will fall in the useless to counterproductive range.

As you get better and can play some pieces from memory, don't. Keep the chart up and follow it every time. It reinforces your mental link from the notes on paper to fingers on keys.

Most of all, give it plenty of time.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
http://www.sightreadingpractice.com...l&r=w.s/&id=19037367827&cr=1

http://www.emusictheory.com/practice.html

just start drilling at every opportunity until every line and space up to maybe a ledger line or two outside either staff is easily recognizable at sight (hint: two ledger lines outside each staff is "c")

Another exercise is taking easier sheet music and with a pencil, writing in all the note names until recognition becomes second-hand (if you're like I was while learning and have too much lying around!)

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission