2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, 10 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Z
zapper Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Hi,
I just upgraded my RD700GX with SN Kit and I'm not sure
if the result is the same as SN in RD700NX. Let say
I don't see that much of a difference in piano sound comparing to what I have had already. Anybody here put that SN PinoKit into GX?
thanks

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zapper
Let say I don't see that much of a difference in piano sound comparing to what I have had already.

They evidently used the same sampling sessions for both SN and non-SN, which can lead to some confusion. There was a RD-700GX YouTube video when the SN expansion card first came out where a guy played identical parts of songs with both SN and non-SN. To the casual listener there was almost no difference, heck I could barely hear any difference via good headphones, but the songs he picked probably weren't the best to showcase the benefits of SN. IMO SN really shines on slow intimate pieces, single sustained noted, etc.

Ah, here it is:
[video:youtube]kcFxnqpbqbQ[/video]

Last edited by dewster; 02/06/13 12:22 PM.
P
P
I,ve got the nx sound chip or card in my gx,I think the piano sound is better in the nx than with the sound card in the gx but not by much. The superior grand and ultimate grand pianos that come with the gx are allmost as good and to some people just as good as the nx piano sounds, having said that to me the action on the gx is better than the nx, the only problem is that it bottoms out to hard.The best sounding nx sound I have heard off the computer is on the new rd 64 from roland, maybe because there are not alot of sounds to take power from the sound engine if that is possible,the only thing Im wondering about is the action,on the demos it looked like they were banging the crap out of the piano.

Z
zapper Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
thanks for posting video Dewster. To be honest Expressive Ground sounds better to me then Super Natural - maybe it's required to adjust or set all parameters of SN in piano designer???

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Expressive Grand is really unpleasant in my view. Roland didn't use it on any other DP. I had the GX and upgraded it with the SN expansion board. You have to immerse yourself in it to really appreciate what Roland have done with SN. There are subtleties that are not immediately apparent. Just as Dewster says, it is the slow, intimate pieces that allow SN to shine.

All that said you still have to like the underlying tonality of the piano. In my opinion almost all the SN voices are based on the Superior Grand sound which in its original state (pre SN) was a really good sounding darkish Steinway but blighted with the usual DP defects such as looping and audible velocity layers. Something went wrong with the SN implementation only insofar as a cluster of notes in the mid-range react differently to higher velocities - it doesn't seem to bother most users but it was a deal-breaker for me and the reason I got rid of my GX. But the SN benefits of no looping and smooth velocity transitions are very impressive - still state-of-the-art for hardware DPs.

D
D
Somebody---probably Zac, as I think he had a GX with the SN upgrade way back when, pre-Nord---probably knows the specifics, and I'm too lazy to look it up right now. But if expandability matters to you, the expansion slots were removed on the NX.

You can put the SN board in the GX, and I think there's still at least one more open slot, but I may be totally wrong on this. You can still get the other SRX exp boards, which may be helpful if you're gigging and only want to schlep one board with you.

EDIT: I'm apparently also too lazy to realize you already have one, and upgraded...still, the NX definitely doesn't have expansion slots anymore...of that I'm sure.

Last edited by dje31; 02/06/13 09:42 PM.

Yamaha CP33 | Roland XP-30
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zapper
thanks for posting video Dewster. To be honest Expressive Ground sounds better to me then Super Natural - maybe it's required to adjust or set all parameters of SN in piano designer???

Listening to that video now it seems like the audio really isn't the best to showcase what SN is capable of.

My advice would be to pick the cleanest & simplest sounding base piano voice on the expansion card (not necessarily the main one - on our NX it's the "Studio Grand") then turn off the reverb and any other effects, and turn the sympathetic resonance effects WAY up, particularly the pedal resonance. Play some slow stuff. It can sound quite detailed, dynamic, and fairly realistic (certainly more realistic than any looper out there IMO). Pedaling events sound fairly real to me too (in terms of how the strings react).

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The sound is almost identical. I owned both at the same time, had both set up next to each other and ended up packing up the NX as it wasn't worth upgrading. The NX didn't drop notes quite as bad as the GXF, and the 3rd sensor is welcomed in the PHA III action vs the PHA II in the GXF. But they feel identical and the sound is all but the same. I do miss my GXF. For a stay-at-home slab DP, the RD-700 GXF/NX and Kawai MP10 are the best out there IMHO.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
O
O
Well, roland knows how to sell same thing twice in different package....

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by offnote
Well, roland knows how to sell same thing twice in different package....

Not really, as Zachary notes above: the original GX utilises the PHAII action, while the NX features the latest PHAIII action. There are a number of other improvements to the NX - GX users were given the choice of upgrading their existing board with SuperNatural sound, or purchasing a brand new instrument. Personally, I think this was a highly commendable move from Roland.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Z
zapper Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Originally Posted by Kawai James

Not really, as Zachary notes above: the original GX utilises the PHAII action, while the NX features the latest PHAIII action. There are a number of other improvements to the NX - GX users were given the choice of upgrading their existing board with SuperNatural sound, or purchasing a brand new instrument. Personally, I think this was a highly commendable move from Roland.

Cheers,
James
x

really? taking away SRX slots is improvement?

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Is there anything to put in the slots that will improve the NX? Are SRX slots 'universal' - might there be new expansions on the horizon?

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Z
zapper Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Originally Posted by toddy
Is there anything to put in the slots that will improve the NX?

you could put one or two of those if NX had a SRX slot.

[Linked Image]

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Ah, so the answer is clearly, 'yes'...thanks for the information. But is this an exclusively Roland system?

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
The NX has no slots and requires no improvement really... It's about as good as it gets

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
The NX has no slots and requires no improvement really... It's about as good as it gets

It doesn't need no stinkin' slots for lame SRX samples, that's for sure!

It could use more SN sounds though: harpsichord, pipe organ, drums, harp, strings, brass - I guess I'm largely describing the Jupiter (but with hammer action keys). An all SN stage DP would be awesome!

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Why do the SRX slots stink?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by toddy
Why do the SRX slots stink?

Guessing, but probably too few address lines to fit good sized samples on them. Which directly causes the SRX sample sets to stink. Rickety old school crap compared to SN, good riddance.

O
O

Really? I don't think so, V-piano is a class better so there is room obviously for improvement.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by offnote

Really? I don't think so, V-piano is a class better so there is room obviously for improvement.

The V is massively overpriced ... and its piano not as good as the RD

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission