Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
106 registered (AZ_Astro, anotherscott, Barry1963, Beemer, anamnesis, 35 invisible), 1324 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2027668 - 02/05/13 07:39 PM RD-700GX SuperNATURAL PianoKit versus SN in RD-700NX
zapper Offline

Hi,
I just upgraded my RD700GX with SN Kit and I'm not sure
if the result is the same as SN in RD700NX. Let say
I don't see that much of a difference in piano sound comparing to what I have had already. Anybody here put that SN PinoKit into GX?
thanks

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2028023 - 02/06/13 11:19 AM Re: RD-700GX SuperNATURAL PianoKit versus SN in RD-700NX [Re: zapper]
dewster Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: zapper
Let say I don't see that much of a difference in piano sound comparing to what I have had already.

They evidently used the same sampling sessions for both SN and non-SN, which can lead to some confusion. There was a RD-700GX YouTube video when the SN expansion card first came out where a guy played identical parts of songs with both SN and non-SN. To the casual listener there was almost no difference, heck I could barely hear any difference via good headphones, but the songs he picked probably weren't the best to showcase the benefits of SN. IMO SN really shines on slow intimate pieces, single sustained noted, etc.

Ah, here it is:

Edited by dewster (02/06/13 11:22 AM)

#2028037 - 02/06/13 11:42 AM Re: RD-700GX SuperNATURAL PianoKit versus SN in RD-700NX [Re: zapper]
pianomike Offline

I,ve got the nx sound chip or card in my gx,I think the piano sound is better in the nx than with the sound card in the gx but not by much. The superior grand and ultimate grand pianos that come with the gx are allmost as good and to some people just as good as the nx piano sounds, having said that to me the action on the gx is better than the nx, the only problem is that it bottoms out to hard.The best sounding nx sound I have heard off the computer is on the new rd 64 from roland, maybe because there are not alot of sounds to take power from the sound engine if that is possible,the only thing Im wondering about is the action,on the demos it looked like they were banging the crap out of the piano.

#2028046 - 02/06/13 12:03 PM Re: RD-700GX SuperNATURAL PianoKit versus SN in RD-700NX [Re: pianomike]
zapper Offline

thanks for posting video Dewster. To be honest Expressive Ground sounds better to me then Super Natural - maybe it's required to adjust or set all parameters of SN in piano designer???

#2028157 - 02/06/13 02:49 PM Re: RD-700GX SuperNATURAL PianoKit versus SN in RD-700NX [Re: zapper]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Expressive Grand is really unpleasant in my view. Roland didn't use it on any other DP. I had the GX and upgraded it with the SN expansion board. You have to immerse yourself in it to really appreciate what Roland have done with SN. There are subtleties that are not immediately apparent. Just as Dewster says, it is the slow, intimate pieces that allow SN to shine.

All that said you still have to like the underlying tonality of the piano. In my opinion almost all the SN voices are based on the Superior Grand sound which in its original state (pre SN) was a really good sounding darkish Steinway but blighted with the usual DP defects such as looping and audible velocity layers. Something went wrong with the SN implementation only insofar as a cluster of notes in the mid-range react differently to higher velocities - it doesn't seem to bother most users but it was a deal-breaker for me and the reason I got rid of my GX. But the SN benefits of no looping and smooth velocity transitions are very impressive - still state-of-the-art for hardware DPs.

#2028245 - 02/06/13 05:09 PM Re: RD-700GX SuperNATURAL PianoKit versus SN in RD-700NX [Re: zapper]
dje31 Offline

Somebody---probably Zac, as I think he had a GX with the SN upgrade way back when, pre-Nord---probably knows the specifics, and I'm too lazy to look it up right now. But if expandability matters to you, the expansion slots were removed on the NX.

You can put the SN board in the GX, and I think there's still at least one more open slot, but I may be totally wrong on this. You can still get the other SRX exp boards, which may be helpful if you're gigging and only want to schlep one board with you.

EDIT: I'm apparently also too lazy to realize you already have one, and upgraded...still, the NX definitely doesn't have expansion slots anymore...of that I'm sure.

Edited by dje31 (02/06/13 08:42 PM)

#2028317 - 02/06/13 07:14 PM Re: RD-700GX SuperNATURAL PianoKit versus SN in RD-700NX [Re: zapper]
dewster Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: zapper
thanks for posting video Dewster. To be honest Expressive Ground sounds better to me then Super Natural - maybe it's required to adjust or set all parameters of SN in piano designer???

Listening to that video now it seems like the audio really isn't the best to showcase what SN is capable of.

My advice would be to pick the cleanest & simplest sounding base piano voice on the expansion card (not necessarily the main one - on our NX it's the "Studio Grand") then turn off the reverb and any other effects, and turn the sympathetic resonance effects WAY up, particularly the pedal resonance. Play some slow stuff. It can sound quite detailed, dynamic, and fairly realistic (certainly more realistic than any looper out there IMO). Pedaling events sound fairly real to me too (in terms of how the strings react).

#2028322 - 02/06/13 07:26 PM Re: RD-700GX SuperNATURAL PianoKit versus SN in RD-700NX [Re: zapper]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The sound is almost identical. I owned both at the same time, had both set up next to each other and ended up packing up the NX as it wasn't worth upgrading. The NX didn't drop notes quite as bad as the GXF, and the 3rd sensor is welcomed in the PHA III action vs the PHA II in the GXF. But they feel identical and the sound is all but the same. I do miss my GXF. For a stay-at-home slab DP, the RD-700 GXF/NX and Kawai MP10 are the best out there IMHO.

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#2028388 - 02/06/13 09:17 PM Re: RD-700GX SuperNATURAL PianoKit versus SN in RD-700NX [Re: zapper]
offnote Offline

Loc: Banned
Well, roland knows how to sell same thing twice in different package....

#2028389 - 02/06/13 09:21 PM Re: RD-700GX SuperNATURAL PianoKit versus SN in RD-700NX [Re: offnote]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: offnote
Well, roland knows how to sell same thing twice in different package....

Not really, as Zachary notes above: the original GX utilises the PHAII action, while the NX features the latest PHAIII action. There are a number of other improvements to the NX - GX users were given the choice of upgrading their existing board with SuperNatural sound, or purchasing a brand new instrument. Personally, I think this was a highly commendable move from Roland.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2028527 - 02/07/13 03:34 AM Re: RD-700GX SuperNATURAL PianoKit versus SN in RD-700NX [Re: Kawai James]
zapper Offline

Originally Posted By: Kawai James

Not really, as Zachary notes above: the original GX utilises the PHAII action, while the NX features the latest PHAIII action. There are a number of other improvements to the NX - GX users were given the choice of upgrading their existing board with SuperNatural sound, or purchasing a brand new instrument. Personally, I think this was a highly commendable move from Roland.

Cheers,
James
x

really? taking away SRX slots is improvement?

#2028529 - 02/07/13 03:43 AM Re: RD-700GX SuperNATURAL PianoKit versus SN in RD-700NX [Re: zapper]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Is there anything to put in the slots that will improve the NX? Are SRX slots 'universal' - might there be new expansions on the horizon?

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2028555 - 02/07/13 05:42 AM Re: RD-700GX SuperNATURAL PianoKit versus SN in RD-700NX [Re: toddy]
zapper Offline

Originally Posted By: toddy
Is there anything to put in the slots that will improve the NX?

you could put one or two of those if NX had a SRX slot.

#2028622 - 02/07/13 09:05 AM Re: RD-700GX SuperNATURAL PianoKit versus SN in RD-700NX [Re: zapper]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Ah, so the answer is clearly, 'yes'...thanks for the information. But is this an exclusively Roland system?

#2028664 - 02/07/13 10:20 AM Re: RD-700GX SuperNATURAL PianoKit versus SN in RD-700NX [Re: zapper]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
The NX has no slots and requires no improvement really... It's about as good as it gets

#2028729 - 02/07/13 12:29 PM Re: RD-700GX SuperNATURAL PianoKit versus SN in RD-700NX [Re: Dr Popper]
dewster Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dr Popper
The NX has no slots and requires no improvement really... It's about as good as it gets

It doesn't need no stinkin' slots for lame SRX samples, that's for sure!

It could use more SN sounds though: harpsichord, pipe organ, drums, harp, strings, brass - I guess I'm largely describing the Jupiter (but with hammer action keys). An all SN stage DP would be awesome!

#2028735 - 02/07/13 12:40 PM Re: RD-700GX SuperNATURAL PianoKit versus SN in RD-700NX [Re: zapper]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Why do the SRX slots stink?

#2028751 - 02/07/13 01:08 PM Re: RD-700GX SuperNATURAL PianoKit versus SN in RD-700NX [Re: toddy]
dewster Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: toddy
Why do the SRX slots stink?

Guessing, but probably too few address lines to fit good sized samples on them. Which directly causes the SRX sample sets to stink. Rickety old school crap compared to SN, good riddance.

#2028980 - 02/07/13 08:12 PM Re: RD-700GX SuperNATURAL PianoKit versus SN in RD-700NX [Re: Dr Popper]
offnote Offline

Really? I don't think so, V-piano is a class better so there is room obviously for improvement.

#2028988 - 02/07/13 08:26 PM Re: RD-700GX SuperNATURAL PianoKit versus SN in RD-700NX [Re: offnote]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Originally Posted By: offnote

Really? I don't think so, V-piano is a class better so there is room obviously for improvement.

The V is massively overpriced ... and its piano not as good as the RD

#2029127 - 02/08/13 03:18 AM Re: RD-700GX SuperNATURAL PianoKit versus SN in RD-700NX [Re: Dr Popper]
offnote Offline

...and its piano not as good as the RD

You wish, I assume you are joking....

#2029417 - 02/08/13 05:19 PM Re: RD-700GX SuperNATURAL PianoKit versus SN in RD-700NX [Re: zapper]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
He isn't joking. And I think he's absolutely right.

#2029486 - 02/08/13 07:55 PM Re: RD-700GX SuperNATURAL PianoKit versus SN in RD-700NX [Re: zapper]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Me too. V piano's a fun idea and for a modeled piano it's an impressive implementation but it doesn't sound as natural/realistic as the RD to me. Of course, I've only listened to recordings, never played it.

I don't agree that the RD is as good as it can be, but it's pretty good for a hardware piano.

Edited by gvfarns (02/08/13 07:57 PM)

#2029543 - 02/08/13 09:42 PM Re: RD-700GX SuperNATURAL PianoKit versus SN in RD-700NX [Re: gvfarns]
torhu Offline

It would help if they fixed the Concert Grand sound (as it's generally much richer than the Studio Grand sound, the bass register is amazing). And made it less of a health risk to carry by yourself, of course.

#2029597 - 02/09/13 12:30 AM Re: RD-700GX SuperNATURAL PianoKit versus SN in RD-700NX [Re: torhu]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
It is richer. That's why that A/Ab (+5 & 6th above middle C) metallic clank/buzz noise bugs the heck out of me. If I want to get a 700NX, it would be for the fuller, richer Concert Grand, not the Studio Grand, which doesn't have the *clank*.

Hopefully in the fall they'll update and fix that. In spite of the weight I would buy one if they did. It's a really nice sound for a dp.

2005 NY Steinway D

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
12/21/14 10:09 PM
Getting better
by Kekewak
12/21/14 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160049 Topics
2350398 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission