Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
139 registered (36251, accordeur, 661-Pete, 44 invisible), 1700 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2029169 - 02/08/13 06:06 AM What's your most fun memory as a pianist?
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

After some heavyweight threads recently, I thought we should lighten the mood a little wink.

So, what is your most enjoyable/fun/hilarious memory playing the piano?

I've played pianos in all sorts of odd places over the years, but one of my most enjoyable memories was playing on a ferry some years ago. A small team of us went on our first trip to Alaska, hiking and climbing in Denali NP, as well as meeting and eating wildlife (salmon, not grizzlies or caribou or moose....). Returning on the ferry (from Seward, AK to Bellingham, WA via the Inside Passage), we made ourselves at home on board the ship by pitching our tents on the deck grin, then set off to explore our new surroundings for the next three days. There was a bar, with an upright piano, and an electric guitar with amplification equipment.

The ferry was used by regular commuters as well as tourists like ourselves, and apparently passengers were expected to make their own entertainment in the evenings. (In the daytime, there was bird/whale/grizzly watching and talks in the lecture room about same). I availed myself of the piano while there was nobody in the bar....

Then came the evening, and after a few drinks, the regulars soon took it in turn to sing obscure country & western songs, accompanying themselves on the guitar. Then we interlopers took over. I'd never played pop stuff on the piano before (I don't normally listen to pop music), but there's always a first time wink . Our leader played his own (acoustic) guitar, and I vamped the extra accompaniment on the piano - some, like House of Rising Sun, were obvious; for others, I made stuff up if I wasn't too sure of the harmony (or even the melody grin), and the rest of us sang, mostly in tune. There were a couple of volumes of pop songs there, and I found some good ones that used the piano, like Imagine and Bridge over Troubled Water and some Elton John songs - which actually sounded quite good when we performed them purely with piano accompaniment.

The audience seemed to enjoy our performances as much as we did....so when the rest were having a break, I thought I'd 'treat' everyone to some classical music, playing half-remembered waltzes by Chopin and Brahms, joining half of one into half of another with some improvised modulatory passages when I couldn't remember the notes (at that time, unlike now, I didn't bother to memorize any music), continuing along the same lines with Mozart and Beethoven, then Rachmaninoff and Schumann/Liszt's Widmung.

Nobody walked out, so I assumed they didn't mind the music, or my somewhat approximate playing cool grin.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2029172 - 02/08/13 06:36 AM Re: What's your most fun memory as a pianist? [Re: bennevis]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
I'm half tempted to make a thread called "Your most exciting memory as a pianist?".

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Decorations - Piano World Headquarters 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
5 adjacent dead keys
by levendig
12/20/14 01:18 PM
Like Someone In Love - a rhythmic approach
by marcuslchoi
12/20/14 12:43 PM
mp11
by mike2014
12/20/14 11:42 AM
Merry Christmas from TromboneAl
by TromboneAl
12/20/14 10:26 AM
Odd sound effect on old upright
by 661-Pete
12/20/14 06:38 AM
Forum Stats
77371 Members
42 Forums
160014 Topics
2349849 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission