Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2029199 - 02/08/13 08:14 AM Wilh. Steinberg Service Manuals?
PNO40 Offline

Loc: A North Atlantic Island former...
Do these exist?

I've had no response from emails to Steinberg requesting additional details for my new IQ24 (48" upright). And I may need it, given that the tech appointed for warranty purposes had never encountered one until last month.

Any advice and suggestions welcome.

P.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2029202 - 02/08/13 08:28 AM Re: Wilh. Steinberg Service Manuals? [Re: PNO40]
Larry Buck Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lowell MA
What is it you need to know.

BTW, I have not heard that such a manual exists.

Given that your piano is built according to standard "standards", your tech should already know the details.

BTW, We are Factory Authorized distributors for Wihl. Steinberg. What is it you are most concerned about?

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
facebook.com/E. J. Buck & Sons Performances

#2029239 - 02/08/13 10:43 AM Re: Wilh. Steinberg Service Manuals? [Re: PNO40]
PNO40 Offline

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the prompt response.

The immediate issue concerns repetition problems on a number of keys along with some difficulty in getting a consistent pianissimo. A number of keys occasionally 'hang', i.e. get stuck on return (staying about 2-3mm below the full return key level), even though the piano is brand new. This happens when playing quietly and slowly, with sustain pedal used for legato, and is not the usual problem of repetition not working when playing fast (e.g. a quick trill).

On his first visit to do the first in-home tuning, the tech observed what he thought was a let-off distance that was too long, but seemed to hesitate in his diagnosis. He adjusted the lost motion on the main offenders, and put some Protek on the bottom of the jack. This seemed to work, but he had to return again when the key once more 'hung' on return.

So, to cut a long story short, I was wondering if there was any specific guide to regulating the IQ24 that could be drawn on should a more thorough fine-tuning of the action be required (or requested on my part).

With thanks in advance,

P.

PS The other reason is that I have become something of a 'pianorak' and would like to have detailed specs of the particular piano I hope to have as a good companion for many years to come. smile

#2029247 - 02/08/13 11:09 AM Re: Wilh. Steinberg Service Manuals? [Re: PNO40]
Larry Buck Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lowell MA
Hi P,

Specs as described in any manual, detail fundamental specs the action needs to be able to perform from an engineering point of view.

Presuming these established parameters, regulation for a performance characteristic such as the one you describe, needs to be done with the understanding of "how" the mechanism is adjusted to enable this. A specific characteristic such as the one you describe, is not something a manual describes.

I would refrain from Protek for the moment on a new piano. After a good examination of friction, alcohol sizing and pinning would be more appropriate on a piano such as the all German IQ Upright.

It is the nature of ALL uprights to have a let off distance a bit greater than a grand. Checking, key dip, butt spring tension and let off need to be "coordinated" for the condition you require.

Maximum performance on this upright will require a technician with the appropriate experience.

I am happy to hear you are looking for a long term with your IQ, it is a very rich and dynamic sounding instrument.

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
facebook.com/E. J. Buck & Sons Performances

#2029312 - 02/08/13 01:28 PM Re: Wilh. Steinberg Service Manuals? [Re: Larry Buck]
PNO40 Offline

Thanks again, Larry.

Yes, the quick 'Reach for the Protek!' response of the tech concerned me a little. I may take your advice and contact another tech specifically for a regulation fine tuning, though it is likely he is equally unfamiliar with these pianos. (They are rare in my neck of the woods, and generally unknown.)

And yes, I like the piano a lot. It has a lovely sustain and great clarity throughout the register.

Best wishes,

P.

#2029346 - 02/08/13 02:48 PM Re: Wilh. Steinberg Service Manuals? [Re: PNO40]
Kurtmen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Mateo, CA
You have a regulation problem that most technicians can fix. There is no particular or special needs to correct this issue.
Kawai Digital Piano, Pianodisc.
<a href="http://sanmateopiano.com" style="color:#FF0505;font-size:10px;font-family:Times New Roman;text-decoration:underline;" target="_blank" >http://sanmateopiano.com</a>

#2029410 - 02/08/13 05:09 PM Re: Wilh. Steinberg Service Manuals? [Re: PNO40]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
From time to time there are questions about or requests for service manuals for specific pianos. Recently someone was asking for a service manual for a garden variety piano from a manufacturer that had gone out of business before the depression. Such a manual does not exist and probably never did.

People need to understand that piano actions (presumably the part that people want the manual for) are so similar across the board that even an expert would be hard pressed to tell the difference or name the piano brand by looking at the action, with obvious exceptions of composite actions, of course. But even these all function the same. The action specs for modern pianos are all within narrow windows. An experienced tech can regulate a brand xyz piano to play perfectly without consulting a manual or having any prior experience with that brand. They are that similar.

Renner, the company which makes the actions used in Steinberg and a host of other brands, makes only two types of upright actions. A larger one and a smaller one. That's it. And they regulate the same.

Yes, certain pianos can have idiosyncrasies, and some manufacturers produce regulation manuals or spec sheets, but if it is news to someone to read that brand X has a key dip of 10 mm, blow distance of 45 mm and let-off of 2 mm, they probably don't know enough to be regulating a piano without a mentor looking over their shoulder.

As far as sticking keys, sluggish notes, ringing dampers etc goes - these kind of problems will not be described in a company manual because they are general in nature and methods for rectifying them are not brand-specific. In this specific case, notes not returning properly are not un-common at all in a new piano of just about any brand. Usually it is not a "regulation" issue, strictly speaking. Most often the key bushings simply need a bit of easing.

Maybe one reason that most brands do not circulate manuals is that they do not want this kind of "encouragement" to "fall into the hands" of piano owners. wink I am sure that if asked, virtually all piano manufacturers would recite the old adage: "No user serviceable parts inside".

In other words, enjoy your piano, play it and love it. And let someone who is experienced with the technological/mechanical part take care of that end of things for you.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (accordeur, Abby Pianoman, A Guy, 36251, 49 invisible), 1785 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75560 Members
42 Forums
156227 Topics
2294413 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Questioning the Wisdom of Heavy Actions
by Dwscamel
33 minutes 25 seconds ago
What do you think made you passionate about music/pianos?
by Spuds
Today at 11:45 AM
Tune lab question
by RonTuner
Today at 11:32 AM
What IS this song? (And yes, I mean "song"!)
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 09:35 AM
Kawai Cp200 repair needed
by Walks
Today at 08:52 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission