2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2029489 02/08/13 09:06 PM
D
OP Offline
D
I've seen quite a few new digital pianos that instead of having a MIDI connection, it has a USB to host connection. I've seen it mostly on the Yamaha's I was looking at. Are these 2 the same thing? Can I do all the same things with a USB as I can do with a MIDI?

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
They function the same, yes. The original MIDI has a few advantages (it can go longer distances, for example, and there's less concern about it becoming obsolete). But USB-MIDI is becoming more and more common. Eventually I suspect most pianos will not come with the old-style MIDI stuff.

There was someone a while back that somehow measured the latency of his piano over MIDI and USB-MIDI and found it to be smaller in the former. I have to think that would be specific to that piano, though, because there's not a good theoretical reason for it. Latency is normally an audio-buffer thing, not a MIDI thing (in any significant way).

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by dooger94
Can I do all the same things with a USB as I can do with a MIDI?

No. In most cases, USB requires the keyboard to be connected to a computer, whereas with a traditional 5-pin MIDI connection, you can not only connect to a computer, you can also connect directly to most other MIDI devices with no computer in between. So, for example, if you wanted to gig with a keyboard, and hookup, say, a MIDI foot controller, or a second keyboard to trigger some of its sounds, or if you wanted to connect a MIDI sound module to your keyboard to expand its sound palette, then you would want the regular MIDI connection rather than USB. That said, if you get a Yamaha that only has USB and you later wish it had a regular MIDI Port for a particular application like the ones I mentioned, there is a company who makes an adapter to do that conversion... however, only one company makes it, and it's almost $200.

OTOH... most people who need to ask the question of what the standard MIDI connection is good for most likely will never need it. ;-)

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Originally Posted by gvfarns
There was someone a while back that somehow measured the latency of his piano over MIDI and USB-MIDI and found it to be smaller in the former. I have to think that would be specific to that piano, though, because there's not a good theoretical reason for it. Latency is normally an audio-buffer thing, not a MIDI thing (in any significant way).

I thought I read somewhere that some boards send the data out over USB at the exact same speed as legacy MIDI (ie, a byte and a pause, a byte and a pause, over that shiny high speed usb cable). Therefore if the data passes through some sort of make-shift MIDI-to-USB conversion, the latency could only get worse ...

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission