Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2027182 - 02/04/13 11:25 PM Kawai CA95 - New recording
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Decided to redo my performance of a favorite jazz standard, i.e., "Body and Soul" by Johnny Green, at the Kawai CA95:

[Edited recording - silent space deleted]

https://www.box.com/s/b4xddglelrco5b07khgk

Default "Concert Grand 2" setting.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2027195 - 02/04/13 11:54 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: pv88]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
Thanks, I enjoyed listening!

#2027285 - 02/05/13 05:45 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: pv88]
Clayman Offline

Loc: Prague, Czech Rep.
Really nice performance! I'm wondering, with that interesting (or should I say controversial?) DP vs AP topic going on, what that performance would sound like played on an AP, just for the sake of comparing the sound.

Thanks for sharing this with us. smile

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown

#2027321 - 02/05/13 08:28 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: pv88]
Gigantoad Offline

Great playing, but I didn't enjoy the sound at all. Surely it sounds much better through the soundboard and isn't really meant to be recorded from line out.

#2027361 - 02/05/13 10:30 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: Gigantoad]
Carlos-CR Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted By: Gigantoad
Great playing, but I didn't enjoy the sound at all. Surely it sounds much better through the soundboard and isn't really meant to be recorded from line out.

I was about to say the same. smile

Very well played.

PV88, I'd like to ear your personal impression about how different it sounds played through the CA-95.

Carlos

#2027567 - 02/05/13 04:50 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: pv88]
daz100 Offline

Sorry I did not like this one bit .It sounded very cheap as if it was a recording taken from a very old Casio.
I was kind of hoping it was going to blow me away being though it is a top of the range kawai and I was planning on driving 60 mile to try it out,I'm very disappointed .
I am only observing the sound I hear ,your playing is fine.
I'm sure the piano sounds excellent from cabinet but for me it needs to record a great sound also for recording quality videos.

#2027576 - 02/05/13 05:19 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: pv88]
chickenlump Offline

Loc: Canada
I believe the Concert Grand 2 on the CA95 of a grand using the original "harmonic imaging" sampling, where the Concert Grand 1 is the new samples of the Grand EX.

I personally don't like the Concert Grand 2 on my CA95, it sounds fake to me, but the default Concert Grand 1 sounds quite nice.

ps. im just going by what http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/digital/Features/harmonic_imaging2010.html
said regarding concert grand 1 vs 2

On models featuring 88-key sampling, Concert Grand 1 is a well-rounded EX Concert Grand recorded in the standard fashion for classical and jazz music. On many models there is Concert Grand 2, which will be the original Harmonic Imaging Concert Grand sound. It has a very different character from Concert Grand 1.

Edited by chickenlump (02/05/13 08:35 PM)

#2027578 - 02/05/13 05:25 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: daz100]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

To help clarify (for those who didn't like the recorded sound) my recording method is very basic:

1) One stereo audio cable is being used from a headphone jack to the computer's audio in jack. The other headphone jack is for headphones so that I can monitor the playing.

2) The audio sounds are recorded directly into Audacity in which I can export a .wav file that can easily be converted to a .mp3.

3) The .mp3 can be uploaded to box.com to share as a link.

Extra note:

I agree that the CA95 itself (when playing) sounds better and quite impressive through its speakers/soundboard as compared to the recording.

#2027600 - 02/05/13 05:57 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: chickenlump]
StefaanBelgium Offline

Loc: Belgium
Originally Posted By: chickenlump

I personally don't like the Concert Grand 2 on my CA95, it sounds fake to me, but the default Concert Grand 1 sounds quite nice.

It's my view also. At least when I'm listening with my headphones. The default Concert Grand 1 sounds pure, all the others sound inferior over the headphones. When playing through the onboard speakers however, it's different. Then the inferior quality is not that obvious from the non-default samples.

#2027604 - 02/05/13 06:02 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: StefaanBelgium]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I have to disagree as I think that the "Concert Grand 2" preset is better from the perspective that the tones are brighter (especially in the midrange of the keyboard from about middle C and on up) and the initial decay attack imparts better resonance for those notes when attempting to sustain a long line in a classical piece, like the Schubert Impromptu, Op. 90, No. 3, for example. The initial decay of the notes being played are most important.

I therefore could make a direct comparison (at the CA95 for anyone would want to listen from the "live" perspective of the speakers and soundboard) that the "Concert Grand 2" samples are in fact better than "Concert Grand 1" for certain select notes in the midrange of the keyboard when playing the Schubert Impromptu, with the first sustaining note being the B-flat just above middle C. Anyone listening to me playing this would hear a shorter quick initial decay of the B-flat note in the "Concert Grand 1" preset, as the "Concert Grand 2" preset lends more resonance to the same note with far better initial decay attack.

Any listener would hear this (in my studio room while playing) as I could easily demonstrate the differences between "Concert Grand 1" and "Concert Grand 2." The initial decay is more noticeable over the speakers as compared with headphones.

You would think that this should be the other way around, that the newer samples in the "Concert Grand 1" would have the better initial decay and resonance, but this is not true from what I am hearing.

Also, the initial decay (for midrange treble notes) appears to be better in all presets ending with "2" like "Studio Grand 2," "Mellow Grand 2," and, "Jazz Grand 2." On my CA95, anyway.

#2027630 - 02/05/13 06:44 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: pv88]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: pv88
My recording method is very basic:

1) One stereo audio cable is being used from a headphone jack to the computer's audio in jack. The other headphone jack is for headphones so that I can monitor the playing.

2) The audio sounds are recorded directly into Audacity in which I can export a .wav file that can easily be converted to a .mp3.

3) The .mp3 can be uploaded to box.com to share as a link.

Did you try to use the built-in recorder? I always record directly to a USB stick in my DPs (.wav file). That way you get a strict digital recording of your performance. Fantastic playing by the way!!

#2027631 - 02/05/13 06:45 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: pv88]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
pv88, thank you for sharing your recording - you play very well.

Regarding 'Concert Grand' vs 'Concert Grand 2', I personally prefer the tonal character of 'Concert Grand', especially with a little tweaking using the various parameters available in the 'Virtual Technician' menu.

However, I would strongly recommend that you do not use the headphone jacks for recording - the 'Line Out' connectors would be a wiser choice.

The best (and most efficient) solution, however, would be to purchase a $5 USB memory stick from...well, pretty much any store, and record your performances digitally as MP3 or WAV files using the instrument's 'USB Audio' feature. I believe I have made this recommendation to you once or twice already, noting that it would also eliminate the 10-20 second delays that typically precede your performances.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2027839 - 02/06/13 03:02 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: pv88]
StefaanBelgium Offline

Loc: Belgium
@KawaiJames: do you mind telling us which tweekings you do for the Concert Grand ?

#2027851 - 02/06/13 03:27 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: pv88]
9000 Post Club Member

Stefaan, I haven't spent a great deal of time playing the CA95, however if I owned one, I would probably reduce the reverb depth a little, increase the string/damper resonance, and attenuate the high frequencies using the EQ.

Of course, this is just my personal opinion, and is perhaps a reflection of the kind of piano sounds that I typically prefer (and the style of music I play).

Cheers,
James
x

#2027893 - 02/06/13 06:04 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: pv88]
Hookxs Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
My opinion on CA95 internal sounds is as follows:

- I generally don't like the "2" presets, far too metallic for my taste
- Jazz Grand is so similar to Concert Grand that it brings nothing new except maybe some mild EQing (if you (don't) like one, you (don't) like the other)
- Mellow Grands are useless because of their super short decay (I mean it, the shortest you can imagine on a piano). They may have some value in pieces where you fire a new note every 1/10th of a second but in music where you actually have time to breathe, silence sets in before you know it.
- I am undecided about Studio Grand - different from Concert Grand for sure, I like it a little less though. May be good for a change from time to time.
- Upright sounds good for very specific kinds of music (ragtime), not good for "general" playing.
- Other sounds are useless for classical/jazz piano playing

Overall, Concert Grand 1 is the best and the only one worth testing if you consider buying this piano. I do have some mild reservations about it but that is to be expected I guess.

Edited to add: I like the pv88's playing and imho the recording would strongly benefit from using Concert Grand 1 instead of 2.

Edited 2nd time to add: USB recording as an obvious solution aside, it would probably take less time to cut the 19 seconds from the recording than type the infamous "silent signature" of yours:-)

Edited by Hookxs (02/06/13 06:11 AM)

#2027899 - 02/06/13 06:20 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: Hookxs]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Hookxs

Edited 2nd time to add: USB recording as an obvious solution aside, it would probably take less time to cut the 19 seconds from the recording than type the infamous "silent signature" of yours:-)

+1. I refuse to listen any more to pv88's playing. Now I find he uses Audacity. It really is audacious not to cut those silent beginnings out. One mouse click, swipe, delete, done.

#2027973 - 02/06/13 09:15 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: pv88]
Justplay Offline

I use an Audio Interface from the line outs on my CA95. I then go from there into my computer.... Is this a good way? The interface I have is the Akai EIE Pro Audi/Midi Interface.

Audio Interface

#2028071 - 02/06/13 12:34 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: spanishbuddha]
Clayman Offline

Loc: Prague, Czech Rep.
Originally Posted By: spanishbuddha

+1. I refuse to listen any more to pv88's playing. Now I find he uses Audacity. It really is audacious not to cut those silent beginnings out. One mouse click, swipe, delete, done.

C'mon now, it's not that big a deal. It's one click & drag for you, too.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown

#2028097 - 02/06/13 01:05 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: spanishbuddha]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA

That's right, open Audacity, load, swipe, delete, export, done. Then you can listen to it as you want ...

Edited by xorbe (02/06/13 01:05 PM)

#2028209 - 02/06/13 04:07 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: xorbe]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: xorbe

That's right, open Audacity, load, swipe, delete, export, done. Then you can listen to it as you want ...

Just figured out how to do this and here's the edited recording:

https://www.box.com/s/b4xddglelrco5b07khgk

Trimmed off the space at the start and end.

[New link has been added to first post.]

#2028226 - 02/06/13 04:35 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: pv88]
9000 Post Club Member

pv88,

1. Click the mouse at the point just before the playing begins.
2. Keep the mouse button held, then drag the mouse to the left to select the silence.
3. Click the 'Cut' icon (represented by a pair of scissors).

Alternatively:

1. Record directly to a USB flash memory.

Cheers,
James
x

#2028253 - 02/06/13 05:22 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: Kawai James]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
pv88,

1. Click the mouse at the point just before the playing begins.
2. Keep the mouse button held, then drag the mouse to the left to select the silence.
3. Click the 'Cut' icon (represented by a pair of scissors).

Alternatively:

1. Record directly to a USB flash memory.

Cheers,
James
x

Thanks James,

I just found a way in which to do the editing (which was similar to the method you describe above) however, it worked just the same. Have posted the new and edited recording (above) with the silence removed from both start/end.

#2028261 - 02/06/13 05:36 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: pv88]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Have posted the new and edited recording (above) with the silence removed from both start/end.

Nice playing as always! Preference for the piano tone is of course subjective and personal. Not sure I like it but I think it suits this piece.

#2028279 - 02/06/13 06:12 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: pv88]
9000 Post Club Member

Thanks James,

I just found a way in which to do the editing (which was similar to the method you describe above) however, it worked just the same.

Well, I'm glad you were able to find a method that works for you.

However, I would once again recommend using the CA95's build-in USB audio recording features in future.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2029463 - 02/08/13 07:18 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: spanishbuddha]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Here is a recording at the CA95 that demonstrates the original "Concert Grand 1" preset with extra decay time, string resonance, and, reverb:

https://www.box.com/s/n5sejsycnhkhz2chl86h

#2029470 - 02/08/13 07:32 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: pv88]
9000 Post Club Member

Thanks for posting. I definitely prefer this sound.
You play very well, however I feel a certain degree of rigidity in this performance...I'd like it to 'swing' a little more. Perhaps you could have a couple of drinks to let your hair down a little?

By the way, did you try the USB recorder function yet?

Cheers,
James
x

#2029527 - 02/08/13 09:07 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: pv88]
Miguel Rey Offline

Very nice smile

#2029555 - 02/08/13 10:16 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: pv88]
9000 Post Club Member

Glad that you like the sound...

You're welcome!

...however, I have no intention of changing the current recording setup with a standard audio cable (and, editing in Audacity) as it costs nothing to do so.

Okay, but please be aware that using the headphone jack for recording is not recommended.
The line out connectors would be preferable, if you wish to stick with the analogue recording method.

Using the built-in recorder involves extra steps in transferring the recording to a USB stick (at extra cost) every time I make a recording.

Recording directly to USB is more efficient than using audio cables, and typically allows higher quality results. Moreover, if you select to record in MP3 format, the file can be uploaded directly to Box.com etc. without needing to copy the file to your computer or additional conversion. Again, a USB stick shouldn't cost more than $5 - if this is genuinely a concern, I would be happy to send you a device.

As for the piece not having any "swing" to it, this is a slow jazz ballad which was not meant to played in that manner. For something with more of a swing feel or rhythm, listen to the other recording of Body and Soul, posted here above.

Yes, I appreciate that the piece is not really supposed to 'swing' in the sense of having a drum and bass accompaniment. I was commenting more on the 'feel' of the playing style.

Cheers,
James
x

#2029558 - 02/08/13 10:25 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: Kawai James]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
As for the piece not having any "swing" to it, this is a slow jazz ballad which was not meant to played in that manner. For something with more of a swing feel or rhythm, listen to the other recording of Body and Soul, posted here above.

Yes, I appreciate that the piece is not really supposed to 'swing' in the sense of having a drum and bass accompaniment. I was more commenting on the 'feel' of the playing style.

It is a jazz piano ballad meaning that there is no swing rhythm in this piece, whatsoever. Using a "drum and bass accompaniment" has little to do with (or has any bearing on) the style or feel of a piece being played in true swing rhythm.

#2029579 - 02/08/13 11:31 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - New recording [Re: pv88]
9000 Post Club Member

It is a jazz piano ballad meaning that there is no swing rhythm in this piece, whatsoever.

Yes, I appreciate that. Again, I was referring to the 'feel'/'feeling' of the music, not the rhythm. It's something that's very difficult to describe with words, nor can it be properly expressed through a notated score.

But please don't take my comments too personally - you're a fine player.

Kind regards,
James
x

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
117 registered (A Guy, ajames, albumblatter, Al LaPorte, 36251, 37 invisible), 1095 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157135 Topics
2307753 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
? 4 CA95/CS10 owners - soundboard vs external speakers
by markmarz
08/29/14 05:55 AM
Might play in hotel lounges/bars!!
by Pover
08/29/14 04:18 AM
a video of Alexander Siloti's daughter playing the piano
by Michael Sayers
08/28/14 08:26 PM
Kimball spinet neoprene lifter nuts
by dschwoyer
08/28/14 08:22 PM
Looking for a re-built Steinway or Steinwas
by ColinD
08/28/14 07:29 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission