Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2029592 - 02/09/13 12:14 AM Master class protocol
Cardinal201 Offline

It just occurred to me that I should have asked this question a lot earlier, but here it is, anyway... My kiddo is attending a master class tomorrow along with 5 other students, and his regular teacher (who will be hosting the guest teacher at her studio) has asked him to prepare 3 pieces for the class--the two pieces he recently performed at a festival and one other of his own choosing. My question (which, in some sort of mental lapse, I simply didn't think to ask the teacher) is whether the third piece should be as performance-ready as the festival pieces or if it should be more of a work-in-progress. That is, is the purpose of a master class simply to further refine/enhance pieces that are already polished or would it also be appropriate for the class to provide another level of insight into specific areas of challenge that may not yet have been overcome under the regular teacher's tutelage? Currently, my child is planning to play a piece that he has memorized but not perfected. Do you think this is a good choice? If not, he definitely has other performance-ready pieces from which to choose, so it wouldn't be too late to make a switch. I just wanted to get this forum's point of view first. Thank you in advance for your help!

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2029594 - 02/09/13 12:19 AM Re: Master class protocol [Re: Cardinal201]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
It's all good. So often masterclasses are just re-hashing things that really don't need attention. If there is some real work to be done, all the better. Stop worrying.

#2029717 - 02/09/13 08:02 AM Re: Master class protocol [Re: Cardinal201]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I agree, give that master class teacher something to work for! He should mention before playing that piece that it is a work in progress.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2029744 - 02/09/13 08:47 AM Re: Master class protocol [Re: Cardinal201]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

A master class is about providing a learning opportunity for the class. There has to be something to be improved. So if pieces are perfected, there is not much to learn. This takes a certain humility for the student to put themselves on the spot with a piece that needs improvement.

The classes are best when the student plays a piece fluently (with or without music) and the teacher is able to give pointers in how to improve the piece. The pieces are best selected by the teacher since the student may not be aware of which pieces have problems.

In your case, you've been told to just pick something. If the piece really is played well, no problem. Your child may get a few compliments and then it's on to the next performer...not much use to the class, but it was their choice to tell you to just pick something.

#2030179 - 02/10/13 12:05 AM Re: Master class protocol [Re: Cardinal201]
Cardinal201 Offline

Thank you so much for your replies! The kiddo stuck with his choice for his third piece at today's master class, and all went well. The teacher's comments for him centered on taking his pieces to the next level by deliberately and thoughtfully making his own choices in expressively shaping the music, particularly when there are no markings from the composer to otherwise provide guidance. She also emphasized the basic need to play piano with his arms rather than his fingers alone, both to provide power and to avoid strain/injury.

I thought the master class teacher did a great job of engaging a diverse group of 6 students and making connections in her critiques. At one point, she showed my son (with whom she had already worked) a phrase from the sheet music of another student and asked how he thought she might shape it. He studied the unmarked phrase for a moment, and then very proudly announced, "She should play it crescendo!" This statement of hubris resulted in peals of laughter from all of us present, as the other student is 18 and has been playing for upwards of 10 years, while my son is 5 years old with 5 months of piano experience. It was all in good fun, though!

#2030333 - 02/10/13 08:50 AM Re: Master class protocol [Re: Cardinal201]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the update Cardinal201. I'm chuckling over your son's announcement that "She should play it crescendo!". Kids are such fun at age 5.

I will be meeting a 6 year old today (new student to start lessons). The story I received was that his class is having a talent show and he announced that he will play piano. This announcement from a kid who has never played piano. LOL! I look forward to meeting him.

Edited by Ann in Kentucky (02/10/13 08:51 AM)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
73 registered (beet31425, AliAlkhiro, AZNpiano, Allard, 17 invisible), 971 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75979 Members
42 Forums
157133 Topics
2307700 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
a video of Alexander Siloti's daughter playing the piano
by Michael Sayers
08/28/14 08:26 PM
Kimball spinet neoprene lifter nuts
by dschwoyer
08/28/14 08:22 PM
Looking for a re-built Steinway or Steinwas
by ColinD
08/28/14 07:29 PM
First time purchasing an acoustic piano, need some help.
by Lockon52
08/28/14 07:14 PM
Yamaha Clavinova CVP-83s Parts needed
by Jason Solis
08/28/14 06:57 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission