Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2029640 - 02/09/13 03:30 AM Additional sounds, like drums to your recordings?
thercman Offline

Loc: Spokane WA, United States
So if you guys are creating your own recordings, what additional sound generation are you using? Do you use VST's within a DAW? Do you have a drum machine and run through a mixer or an interface? Do you use a combination of both? If so what models, brands? I am considering Arturia's new SparkLE to add percussion.

Edited by thercman (02/09/13 03:31 AM)

Addictive Keys, Kawai EX Pro
Heil PR-40 Mic, Allen & Heath Mixer, Yamaha HS80

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2029644 - 02/09/13 03:41 AM Re: Additional sounds, like drums to your recordings? [Re: thercman]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
You know, it sounds so bloody complicated when ya get older! I use an all in one machine. Yam DGX. But the drums can be a bit awkward . . . I have to add them after everything else.

You guys`ll be in a different league; but some here will be able to help.

""

#2029653 - 02/09/13 04:25 AM Re: Additional sounds, like drums to your recordings? [Re: thercman]
zapper Offline

I use combination of everything but 95% of sounds come from my motif XS.
Regarding percussion sounds I started to use Toontrack software recently
Although those sounds in motif XS are good as well.

#2029917 - 02/09/13 02:05 PM Re: Additional sounds, like drums to your recordings? [Re: thercman]
thercman Offline

I am also considering the NI Maschine Mikro. It comes with a HUGE sample library. I could mount that to my stand and it could be a great compliment to the NP2...

#2029932 - 02/09/13 02:46 PM Re: Additional sounds, like drums to your recordings? [Re: thercman]
Jaker Offline

I'm pretty high tech. But I'm pretty serious about making music on my computer. I use a focusrite saffire 24 interface. Logic DAW there's alot of good sounds there. But for drums I generally use Addictive drums. I got modern jazz brushes adpak for it to that sounds great.

But if your not to serious most DAWs got adequate sounds for jamming and tinkering in general. If you have the REAL packs for Band in a box your set.

#2029952 - 02/09/13 03:43 PM Re: Additional sounds, like drums to your recordings? [Re: thercman]
o0Ampy0o Offline

You mentioned the Artura Sparkle, from that I am wondering whether having a role in the performance is important to you. Drum machines come in various forms. They fulfill a role. Short of playing an actual drum kit yourself the pad or other MIDI controller approach is at least a way to build patterns from scratch and you will not be relying on pre-built patterns/loops.

I prefer the expanded visual access that a computer and software DAW provides over working with any small screen on hardware. The two keyboards I have include drum sounds but you are working with all the limitations of the hardware and built-in software including navigating through the interface using a tiny screen so I would rather work with larger more capable tools for most things.

I have Komplete with Studio Drummer and Abbey Road Drummer. They sound great and are easy to use. Assuming you have a computer (posting here) if you have not looked at it, Toontracks EZDrummer and Superior Drummer can be acquired on sale periodically. There are bargains taking the EZDrummer => Superior Drummer Upgrade path to look for.

#2029958 - 02/09/13 03:50 PM Re: Additional sounds, like drums to your recordings? [Re: o0Ampy0o]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

I use the 8 track digital recorder on my Juno Gi. I like not using a PC and being able just to hit record. Typically my songs have the following arrangements:

Track 1 - Piano L
Track 2 - Piano R
Track 3 - Drums L (I am playing them note for note on the Roland's drum kits)
Track 4 - Drums R
Track 5- Usually a Hammond B3- mono
Track 6- Some sort of electric guitar patch
Track 7 - Bass
Track 8- Vocals:

Now, of course at some point I would love to use 16 tracks but the Juno even includes phantom power for a microphone
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#2030018 - 02/09/13 06:47 PM Re: Additional sounds, like drums to your recordings? [Re: thercman]
kiedysktos. Offline

Loc: Europe, Poland
Go for some nice software or VST plugin, for example Addictive Drums is amazing; but I believe there are at least a few of them.
Run it through any DAW that is VST host (Logic, Pro Tools, cubase etc...). This way you have one DAW which allows you to both play your drums software and mix your tracks.

BTW, there is also FREE route smile here you may find few nice drum multisamples http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2010/06/24/free-sample-shootout-2-acoustic-drums-full-kits/
and you need some software to work with it, but there are a few free applications. For example, I use Mulab as a free DAW and VST client, but you'll need some sample player that allows playing multisamples (there are a few free ones). It's simpler to just buy VsT like Addictive Drums which have samples already implemented. Free route requires some more searching and tweaking than when you buy what you want, but it's free. At the website I posted above you may also find links to some other free multisamples, like Rhodes, or VST effects.

#2030146 - 02/09/13 10:42 PM Re: Additional sounds, like drums to your recordings? [Re: thercman]
thercman Offline

Thanks guys. Currently I have Ableton Live, Audacity and Reaper for my DAWs. Since I have no idea how to use these programs to any degree of sophistication I typically use Audacity to record tracks (single). What I would like to be able to do is to add sounds live. Maybe a drum loop. Play riff and loop it etc. Which is why I was looking at an additional controller like the Maschine which comes with a bunch of software. But I am not sure if this is what I need. Am I looking at this wrong?

Edited by thercman (02/09/13 11:15 PM)

#2030181 - 02/10/13 12:09 AM Re: Additional sounds, like drums to your recordings? [Re: thercman]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Ableton is made for exactly this .... check it out more closely.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
118 registered (Almaviva, AlanD, 36251, Alex1, acortot, 35 invisible), 1641 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156073 Topics
2291922 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Rhodes" sound -- variation with volume?
by Charles Cohen
Today at 08:59 PM
That last 10%
by gooddog
Today at 08:24 PM
Hamelin Review from the Mannes Keyboard program in NYC
by Serge Marinkovic
Today at 08:03 PM
Recommend me some Shostakovich
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 07:43 PM
Kristian Bezuidenhout on Mozart and his piano music
by bennevis
Today at 05:05 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission