2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, 10 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by beethoven986
Originally Posted by John Pels
I've played lots of brand new 9 footers on the showroom floor that were junk. I have yet to play any Baldwin D, SD6 or SD10 that I felt that way about.

We have vastly different experiences, then (Baldwin in general). I've come across many of these Baldwins that sound like... harpsichords with a Mack truck feel. I think they can be great.... I chose an '80s SD-10 for my grad recitals over the house Steinway D, but they're often junk without divine intervention.

I have to strongly agree with Beethoven here. We see a lot of big Baldwin grands, 7' and 9', and just when we think we have seen the Baldwin that sets the record for most dysfunctional action ( always on the heavy side )we get another that beats it. I like the comparison to a harpsichord with a Mack truck feel, although they can make me think of tom toms. I also like the junk without divine intervention comment. These pianos can just be so wrong. No amount of regulating/removal of friction etc means anything. The problems go much deeper and must be corrected.
When they are correct, they can be wonderful. The design is not the problem.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Well, my SD10 spent a few days with Neptune down in new Orleans and has a more interesting tale to tell than likely the accumulated tales of woe of both 986 and Keith K. When it finally resurrects it should make for quite an epistle . Of course If I thought for a second that it would end up with a King Kong action or a less than ideal sound, I likely wouldn't put forth the effort. And YES it WILL need a new pinblock, and yes it WILL need a new bridge, and yes it WILL need some remedial work on the action, but that said, I might just rebuild the original Renner action because no one apparently makes a decent copy of the Schwander style wippens these days, and they are so much easier to regulate than anything else on the planet. I think that somehow, having the original action still functioning would be kind of neat.The soundboard is in pretty amazing condition despite the history. I only regret having to refinish the plate (which is covered with rust), because it was signed by some famous luminaries and local jazz players. I never intended to sell off my original "D" Baldwin, but I needed to buy some real-estate and something had to give. Hopefully the SD10 will fill those 1912 shoes.

Just trying to shake off all the never-ending doom and gloom here at PW.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Well, my SD10 spent a few days with Neptune down in new Orleans....

Well, as I said, these things are often junk without divine intervention. In this case, I'm interpreting it quite literally. grin

and has a more interesting tale to tell than likely the accumulated tales of woe of both 986 and Keith K.

Do we really need to make this a contest? I'll slingshot mine into Lake Michigan (along with my car, but that's a different story).

Of course If I thought for a second that it would end up with a King Kong action or a less than ideal sound, I likely wouldn't put forth the effort.

IMO, the end result is up to you!

because no one apparently makes a decent copy of the Schwander style wippens these days, and they are so much easier to regulate than anything else on the planet.

Oh, come, now. Butterfly springs aren't that bad. That said, they are kind of annoying, aren't they?

Just trying to shake off all the never-ending doom and gloom here at PW.

I won't speak for the others, but I'm guilty as charged, however, I won't apologize for it! It's a love-hate thing. As a fellow pianist, I'm sure you understand.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman
Originally Posted by beethoven986
I've played lots of brand new 9 footers on the showroom floor that were junk. I have yet to play any Baldwin D, SD6 or SD10 that I felt that way about.

We have vastly different experiences, then (Baldwin in general). I've come across many of these Baldwins that sound like... harpsichords with a Mack truck feel. I think they can be great.... I chose an '80s SD-10 for my grad recitals over the house Steinway D, but they're often junk without divine intervention.

I have to strongly agree with Beethoven here. We see a lot of big Baldwin grands, 7' and 9', and just when we think we have seen the Baldwin that sets the record for most dysfunctional action ( always on the heavy side )we get another that beats it. I like the comparison to a harpsichord with a Mack truck feel, although they can make me think of tom toms. I also like the junk without divine intervention comment. These pianos can just be so wrong. No amount of regulating/removal of friction etc means anything. The problems go much deeper and must be corrected.
When they are correct, they can be wonderful. The design is not the problem.

thumb thumb

H
Hunt Offline OP
OP Offline
H
My goodness this has been going on for a while. Haven't looked at this post in a few days and was surprised to see so much activity.

I'll give you an update. Went by the store yesterday and the piano is still not set up yet. I have not yet gotten a really good look at it. They said they were going to set it up this week.

Maybe some of you guys missed this in my previous post but, this was a University that transitioned from Baldwin to Steinway. This was a huge trade for this school they traded in many many baldwins 2 of them being 9'. I highly doubt the music store has much in this piano. And, once again, I don't know and they don't know what is going to be done to it yet because it is in a storage room on its side.

So, that is the latest. I can tell you this. I love a really nice 9 footer but, this one is going to have to really send me when I play it or I will stick with the 7' y/c I have until I find the 9 footer of my dreams.

I take it from the feedback there are many stores out there that would do a slip shot job on an instrument like this. This store has been in business for more than 50 years and has the reputation for being one of the finest stores in the South. I don't have a doubt that the work that will be done to this piano will be of the utmost quality and by me going by and seeing what is going on and my technician having his nose in the middle of it we will know every detail of what is or is not being done.

By the way, I asked my technician if he would be interested in doing the work as someone posted earlier but, he declined. He doesn't have the time.

Will keep you updated.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hunt
... This store has been in business for more than 50 years and has the reputation for being one of the finest stores in the South. I don't have a doubt that the work that will be done to this piano will be of the utmost quality and by me going by and seeing what is going on and my technician having his nose in the middle of it we will know every detail of what is or is not being done. ...
A good retail store does not make a good rebuilder. There are many excellent stores and dealers out there that do not have a real rebuilding workshop or even technicians on staff who can do this kind of work. It is good to hear that in your situation this doesn't seem to be the case.

JG
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission