Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2030089 - 02/09/13 09:07 PM Estonia L190--looking for reassurance!
hotcat Offline

Well, I went ahead and made a (refundable) deposit on an Estonia L190. I do love it and it will be my first grand piano! But it's so nervewracking to make such a huge purchase. Is there anyone out there, including owners/tuners/technicians who have time to leave a comment or two? If it helps any, the other piano I was considering was the Yamaha C3X which was also lovely.

I'm just an amateur player, but putting in lots of hours lately. On the Estonia I played some Mendelssohn, Brahms, Chopin, etc. and it was heavenly--like the piano was just made for those kinds of pieces.

Part of the deal is the piano will have a Dampp-Chaser installed. I live in brutal midwest climate. Of course I will try to run a humidifer in the winter and the AC in the summer, but I wanted the D-C as kind of an added assurance. Opinions about the D-C are also welcome.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2030096 - 02/09/13 09:14 PM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: hotcat]
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
YOU'VE MADE A HUGE MISTAKE!!!!

Just kidding:) Relax. They're top notch instruments. You really can't go wrong.

Also, I would not own any piano that I care about without putting a Damp chaser on it. Practically EVERY piano maker out there recommends a DC on their website.

#2030109 - 02/09/13 09:46 PM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: hotcat]
Norbert Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
hotcat:

Congratulations to your choice!

You will love your Estonia even more as time goes by, you obviously took to it playing the pieces you indicated.

Make sure you're getting good service from your dealer: as is the case with all pianos, it often can make all the difference allowing your piano to perform at top level.

Norbert smile

#2030126 - 02/09/13 10:12 PM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: AJF]
hotcat Offline

Thank you--very helpful! I tried to find a technician in the area who works on Estonias, to get a professional opinion, but could not find one. Estonias are not sold in my area. I had to drive to Chicago to find one.

#2030129 - 02/09/13 10:17 PM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: hotcat]
Rank Piano Amateur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The Estonia L190 is a fabulous piano. Congratulations!

#2030147 - 02/09/13 10:43 PM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: hotcat]
hotcat Offline

Thanks Rank Piano Amateur!

#2030220 - 02/10/13 02:00 AM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: hotcat]
KillerCharlie Offline

Interesting, those are my top 2 pianos I'm looking at right now. They both have great tone (the C3X being nothing like the C3). It'll be interesting to see how they rate the C3X in the piano buyer guide.

I don't know how it was for you, but right now the Estonia is cheaper for me - and I've pushed the Yamaha dealer but not the Estonia dealer. It seems like the Yamahas come with much better prep work out of the crate. The dealer said he did very little action prep and the action was great. The Estonia's action was really hard and sluggish, but they also had a more prepared model with a player in it about to be moved that was much much better.

Edited by KillerCharlie (02/10/13 02:03 AM)

#2030223 - 02/10/13 02:20 AM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: KillerCharlie]
hotcat Offline

Probably can't go too wrong with either one. I was able to try them side by side on two occasions. The first time it was a close call. Then the second time I just knew. Yes, the Estonia was a little less expensive too.

#2030230 - 02/10/13 02:41 AM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: hotcat]
CHAS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ski Country of Colorado
A humidifier from Home Depot would be a lot cheaper and easier to fill than the little thing that is hung under the piano.
I wonder about the heat from the drying strips. Is the humidity in an air conditioned place high enough to cause trouble? Air conditioning is rare here.
My piano is in a very dry climate. I unplugged the heat strips.

#2030297 - 02/10/13 07:46 AM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: hotcat]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Greetings hotcat - from a fellow dweller in 'brutal land.'

The Estonias are lovely instruments. There is nothing else to say. You will have endless enjoyment with your new piano. There is nothing which would cause an experienced technician to be confused or hesitant. The most important consideration would be the quality and experience of the tech/tuner.

In our climate, I am a firm believer in the full D-C system and have them on all three of my pianos. If you are in a single family home, it is best to also add a full house humidifier to you HVAC system. That way, your entire environment will be be controlled across the seasons. In addition to the piano, it is good for people, pets, and all of your other furnishings.

Congratulations on your new piano.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2030310 - 02/10/13 08:12 AM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: hotcat]
James Carney Offline

Loc: new york city
Please see my response on the Technician's Forum.

#2030388 - 02/10/13 10:36 AM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: hotcat]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
I've had an Estonia 190 for 5-6 years now. I've had the bushings eased (a relatively quick job) and that made my action much quicker and faster. I also sprayed some dry lubricant under the keys and that also helped a bit, but my action still feels very solid and maybe a bit heavier than average. I think that helps my playing because practicing on an instrument with a slightly heavier action means I can play just about any instrument comfortably. It's much easier to adjust to a light action when you're used to a heavy one than vice versa. The 190 is a players piano you'll only love it more over time.

#2030400 - 02/10/13 11:00 AM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: hotcat]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
hotcat- As long as you've tried out enough pianos to not make a decision on the first piano you love(and this seems to be the case), then I doubt anyone will say that from a quality perspective Estonia is anything less than terrific. Not everyone thinks they're as sensational as some posters have indicated(I found the ones I've played mixed in terms of their tonal appeal for me as have others I know), but that could be and has been said about virtually any piano including ones that cost closer to 75K for the size you're considering. I would put Estonia, Mason Hamlin, Shigeru, and probably Yamaha CX(haven't played them) in a group of "extremely good values" among the elite Tier 2 pianos.

Edited by pianoloverus (02/10/13 11:13 AM)

#2030496 - 02/10/13 01:19 PM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: hotcat]
Norbert Online   content

Quote:
As long as you've tried out enough pianos to not make a decision on the first piano you love(and this seems to be the case),

Agreed.

Except when people come back later after playing all kinds of others, things become more interesting.

Our last 4 customers in a row.....

Norbert

#2030563 - 02/10/13 02:43 PM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: AJF]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: AJF

Yes you can...

#2040485 - 02/28/13 12:55 AM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: hotcat]
hotcat Offline

I bought the Estonia--should have delivery in a couple weeks!

#2040503 - 02/28/13 01:38 AM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: hotcat]
Norbert Online   content

Hotcat:

As is the case with virtual every single maker, great after service will make all the difference. Especially if piano can offer finer nuances of tonality and has been designed for discriminating players.

Without that, a piano is often like a Pizza without being baked in oven first.

Anybody eating that?

Norbert grin

Edited by Norbert (02/28/13 01:42 AM)

#2040531 - 02/28/13 03:25 AM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: hotcat]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
'Oh Happy Day' when it is delivered and you get to play it each and every day thereafter!

Glad to hear that you are getting the DC, humidifier (several of us own VENTA). AC was not enough here but I live near the ocean, so also have a Dehumidifier for months when that is needed.

Have you purchased a hygrometer yet to check? 'They' say around 42 RH is desired.

Oh, the things we learn when we own a nice instrument!!!

#2040630 - 02/28/13 08:33 AM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: hotcat]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Congratulations!

You have chosen a truly beautiful instrument. Enjoy.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#2040694 - 02/28/13 10:33 AM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: hotcat]
Steve Cohen Online   content

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Not only can I opine that you made a great selection, but in the upcoming issue of Piano Buyer a new feature wiil reinforce that opinion.

[Consider this my first "upcoming isssue" tease!]

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#2041454 - 03/01/13 03:50 PM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: hotcat]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Congrats, Hotcat. thumb

I hope you are as pleased with your 190 as I have been. 3hearts

One thing I didn't count on.... before buying it I thought I was practicing quite a bit, but once the 190 showed up I wanted to practice all the time. And as for noodling.... I could sit for hours just listening to the beautiful sound of a few chords. In a month or two you will be asking yourself why you waited this long to give yourself this treat.

We want pics!!

OT. Hey, Hiya Rich!

Estonia L190 #7284

#2041482 - 03/01/13 04:34 PM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: hotcat]
hotcat Offline

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

I had a technician inspect the piano for me. He said, among other things, the piano is a "wonderful instrument...meticulously crafted...gorgeous sound...its palate of tonal color and volume range are exceptional...whatever I asked of the piano, it delivered."

Delivery is arranged for next Friday!

#2041557 - 03/01/13 06:41 PM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: Mark...]
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: Mark...

Yes you can...

Well if you are going to play Troll why don't you at least dignify us with a less cryptic response and elaborate.

#2041755 - 03/02/13 08:10 AM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: JimF]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Originally Posted By: JimF
Congrats, Hotcat. thumb....

OT. Hey, Hiya Rich!

Hi Jim,

It is good to see you here! Either I have been missing your posts or you are one of those "lurkers". wink

Why not hang out and contribute more here? I always enjoyed your posts.

Good luck with your Estonia, hotcat.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#2041782 - 03/02/13 09:47 AM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: hotcat]
RachOn Offline

Loc: W. Pa.
Congratulations!
Yes, taking the plunge can be doubt-inducing, but since buying my Estonia 190 5+ years ago I have never regretted it. It sounds fantastic and my tech also still admires it.
Post a picture when it arrives!

#2041848 - 03/02/13 12:49 PM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: AJF]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Yes you can...

Well if you are going to play Troll why don't you at least dignify us with a less cryptic response and elaborate.

It's common knowledge here, of the problems I have had with my L190. Nothing cryptic. When you stated you can't go wrong, you weren't 100% accurate.

#2041851 - 03/02/13 01:01 PM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: hotcat]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Is reading "The Tribulations of Mark..." a prerequisite for understanding the focus and purpose of this thread?

It is a bit presumptuous to assume that all members are acquainted with your issues.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2041854 - 03/02/13 01:14 PM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Is reading "The Tribulations of Mark..." a prerequisite for understanding the focus and purpose of this thread?

It is a bit presumptuous to assume that all members are acquainted with your issues.

I didn't think going over my Estonia problems again would be helpful, but when someone makes a blanket statement that "you can't go wrong" and its not true, then I felt it was necessary to speak up.

I wish Hotcat only the best.

#2041860 - 03/02/13 01:29 PM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: Mark...]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty

I didn't think going over my Estonia problems again would be helpful, but when someone makes a blanket statement that "you can't go wrong" and its not true, then I felt it was necessary to speak up.

I wish Hotcat only the best.

You have every right to speak up, Mark. If it's good enough for every delighted Estonia owner to chime it with supportive pats on the back, it's also good enough for somebody who had a less than stellar experience to chime in. Surely we are interested in truthful balance around here?

#2041877 - 03/02/13 02:22 PM Re: Estonia L190--looking for reassurance! [Re: hotcat]
Norbert Online   content

Quote:
Surely we are interested in truthful balance around here?

The "truthful balance" was that several people including the original dealer have made several efforts to help in this case.

The problems encountered were that even after a tech was sent out, no problems had been detected or could even be identified.

The dealer in question next offered a full trade in value, which was rejected by the owner.

It's is regretful when someone is not happy but not accepting what appears to have been sincere help is a different matter.

If a piano is not to one's own liking or not in the state it should be in, it is something that in most cases can easily be improved by additional technical services to the instrument.

It is inconceivable to me if there were indeed an issue with this piano that a credible dealer would not look after his customer. Besides there is a 10 years factory warranty.

Interestingly enough, there was another,independent tech who apparently recently inspected the piano.

It would be nice to hear from him at this point.

If this gentleman would be my own customer I would not rest until the matter has been 100% resolved.

A customer is "always right" and when something is "not right" it needs to be made right. Simple.

Regretfully,the owner [not my own customer] has viewed my efforts to help him as hostile and there's nothing one can do in this case.

There are cases where one can't help even when help is offered.

Regretfully, this one may be one such case.

Norbert

Edited by Norbert (03/02/13 02:40 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
167 registered (accordeur, airdis, A Guy, 50 invisible), 1860 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75579 Members
42 Forums
156266 Topics
2294893 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sheet Music Retainers
by MargaretUK
07/29/14 05:20 PM
piano contest
by wkurashima
07/29/14 04:47 PM
piano contest Clavinova
by wkurashima
07/29/14 04:39 PM
Proper chunking method
by Edtek
07/29/14 03:10 PM
Lamp for Piano
by DancerJ
07/29/14 03:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission