2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
OP Offline
W
I'm sure most of us have been through this before, when we reach a certain level in our piano playing, and each tiny little step of progress seems to be taking forever. A lot of times, we tell ourselves, just keep going, we will reach that end of the tunnel, we will finally improve.

My question is, during those times we continue practicing when we're at our plateau, what actually improves? I know it's different for different people, but I was thinking of a non-exclusive, subjective list.

For example, since I am trying to play some pieces that are very difficult for me, I focus on it so much (takes so much time) that my old repertoire is now a mess. It's like a 3 step forward 2 step back (or 3, or 4) kind of thing. The thing is, what I'm learning now is even harder than my old repertoire, so does that mean I didn't improve at all, and I was just beating myself into learning something? Does something even improve? Touch? Evenness? Is it just having to remember what you used to play, but it will come out more musical once you're able to play it again?

I don't know if I'm being clear, or if this is a stupid question, but it will surely give me some encouragement especially when I think that my progress is soooo slow, even after daily practice (and I do focused practice, too, not just playing stuff I know over and over again).

Or..maybe another way to look at it is (unless this is another question), what did I "bring back" to my old repertoire that I can't even play anymore?

Last edited by WannabePT; 02/05/13 01:48 PM.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I think one that improves is the ease of playing - familiarity, comfort zones, particular techniques that are more difficult for an individual. The time spent on the plateau reinforces all the current stuff.

Yes, it does seem sometimes that the previous stuff is going backwards while the newer stuff crowds out our focus. But I think that's jusst the distraction of the newer stuff.

For me, any way, I am amazed at what comes more easily now that used to take incredible amounts of time and still had tenseness associated with it.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WannabePT
My question is, during those times we continue practicing when we're at our plateau, what actually improves?

Every time I've hit a plateau (I call them piano funks), I've found myself taking a step back and working on easier things.

The easier pieces are faster to learn, I can focus more on details, and generally they're just as satisfying of an experience to learn. A lot of time also, these pieces are from varying eras - for instance, I'm in the process of learning a Japanese anime transcription, which I never imagined doing.

So, even with the "easier" stuff, I'm always learning something new, filling in gaps and just sort of rounding out more my experience at the piano.

And I usually emerge from these funks a little more well rounded, confident and motivated than before.

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
These kinds of plateaus occur when learning any kind of skill. There's a famous paper in psychology called something like "the magic number seven" which shows that for many types of tasks, we basically have 7 available slots in our short term memory. This is why standard phone numbers are 7 digits long, an average person will be able to hold only about 7 numbers in his or her short term memory. So, let's say you want to keep a phone number in your short term memory. you can think of 357-2422 as 3 5 7 2 4 2 2 and use up all 7 slots, or you can chunk the numbers together...maybe like 357 (three hundred fifty seven - as one number) - 24-22. In that way you're holding only 3 numbers in your short term memory. Obviously that's a simplistic example, but this kind of chunking of data is essential for our learning.

Another example of how this can work is driving a car with a manual transmission. As you first start to learn to drive a car with a stick, it's really hard. You have to coordinate a lot of different things (hearing the engine pitch change, looking at the rpm gauge, pushing the clutch in the right distance, shifting to the right gear, etc...). It's very taxing and your brain has to work really hard to manage all those things simultaneously. But eventually all those things get chunked together into one integrated skill. You no longer have to think about any of those individual things, you just do them.

Now, our longer term memory obviously has much greater capacity, but the same kind of chunking occurs there as well. when you start to learn something new, you start feeding your brain all this data....then it reaches a point where it wants to chunk and integrate that data together. The brain is processing the data to find connections (especially connections to things you've already learned) among the data. At this time, it seems that your ability to add additional data has greatly decreased, because the brain is sorting through the pile of data you've already given it. Eventually the brain sorts things out and then you can start to add new data again (until you "fill up" again and hit another plateau).

So what's happening during these learning plateaus is that your brain and nervous system are working in a different way...but learning is still occurring. But instead of learning new things, your brain is temporarily focused on making the things you have been learning previously more solid and integrating those skills together.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
T
T
Fizikisto that's a really great explanation.

thumb

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Plateau? Wannabe, I can relate. Yes it does feel like walking on a treadmill sometimes with no forward progress. I'm there now and have been there before. The hard part is the emotional sense of fog that descends and makes the journey arduous. The pieces I'm working on vary substantially...some level 2 and 3 stuff (trying to get them up to speed) some contemporary music, some hymns, a Chopin mazurka that may take a long time, and all the pieces I'm trying to have ready to take the RCM level 5 exam. Am I learning? Probably but the increments seem pretty small.

To answer your question...or maybe reflect on my experience...is that those small increments are such things as tone, speed, relaxation, comfort level, and precision on the dynamics.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Interesting answer fizikisto ... thanks !

P
P
Originally Posted by WannabePT
For example, since I am trying to play some pieces that are very difficult for me, I focus on it so much (takes so much time) that my old repertoire is now a mess. It's like a 3 step forward 2 step back (or 3, or 4) kind of thing. Does something even improve? Touch? Evenness?

Do you have a piano teacher or are you learning on your own?
I never had platos, rather progressing pretty smoothly from level to level.
May be you just picking pieces which are too hard?
You cannot jump until you learned certains skills. Once you are ready, the progress is very smooth and stable. IMO.

Roland HP-507RW | Yamaha U1 | Roland FP-90
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Before taking on a difficult piece, learning the techniques required for the piece is key. Playing etudes that prepare for the difficult piece is really important. Unfortunately, it is impossile to pick the right etude and teach it to yourself. Only a qualified teacher could choose and show you the techniques that you need to master in order to play an etude correctly. Short of that, it may be just a long struggle to learn a diffult piece instead of seeing elements that you already mastered in etudes and applying it to the new repertoire.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission