Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2030395 - 02/10/13 10:52 AM action parts for full sized Kimball upright?
Fred Hamaker Offline

Loc: Rochester New York
I have a client with a 52" Kimball they want to restore. The size of the standard (Pratt Win) replacement hammer butts from Schaff or Pianotek don't match the originals. The butt heights are comparable, but when matching up the action centers, the depth of the replacement puts the radius of the hammer butt buckskin (and catcher buckskin) ~3 mm closer to the player. If I were to replace whippens, I have a similar "mismatch" with the standard Pratt Winn part for dowel captstans - the profile is similar, but the replacement jack height is 2+mm higher (when matching up the action centers whippens and jacks).

These seem like big differences to accommodate - I can envision lowering the dowel to handle the higher jack, but this would really angle the whippen, affecting damper spoon and also backcheck. And I wonder about the new postion of that buckskin radius - seems like the jack wont have a proper seat under the butt at rest. Should I be looking for replacement parts with a closer match to the originals? Any suggestions on my options? Am I stuck with rebuilding the original parts?

Btw, I don't have the Schwander action parts on hand, but the pictures in the catalogues don't appear to match profiles (these are for shorter Kimballs, right?).
www.RochesterPianoService.com

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#2030421 - 02/10/13 11:48 AM Re: action parts for full sized Kimball upright? [Re: Fred Hamaker]
James Carney Offline

Loc: new york city
How old are the parts and the piano? Can you rebush and repin without breaking birdseyes? Do you need to rebush at all? Replacing the buckskin should be easy enough unless someone used waterproof glue at some point. (Been there - aaargh!)

Not sure if WNG will be furnishing the sizes of parts you will need, but I believe that they will be offering composite parts for vertical actions sometime in 2013, if you can wait. I'd give them a call and see if they'll be making parts that would fit your application.

I am assuming this Kimball is worth the trouble? I actually love their grands from the 50s so I have lots of respect for the brand when they were made in Chicago.

#2030431 - 02/10/13 11:54 AM Re: action parts for full sized Kimball upright? [Re: James Carney]
RestorerPhil Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
A full sized Kimball upright totally restored in a killer piano!
Many of the 3/4 plate with the open faced pin block are powerful pianos. I would rate them relatively above the grands and better than a Steinway upright.

The brass rails and the collapse of the pin block are the two boogie bears in the mix, however. $$$$$$$$ ! They are only worth the trouble, if that is what the customer wants and can afford the proper rebuild. They surely have no magic value, such as the Steinway name. Ironically, however these uprights outshine the more recent Kimballs so much that it saddens one to see what was lost from their old days.

(As often is the case.)

Edited by RestorerPhil (02/10/13 01:42 PM)
Rebuilding & Restoration

#2030668 - 02/10/13 05:14 PM Re: action parts for full sized Kimball upright? [Re: James Carney]
Fred Hamaker Offline

Loc: Rochester New York
I believe the piano is 80 years old. Hammers are shot, and many of the action centers are not controlling hammer movement. I will need either to rebush or get new flanges (at least these can be purchased). Back to the butts, there is evidence that the hammer butt leather and underlying felts have been replaced before. The felts are a little different to most of the ones sold today (this has 2 pieces of action felt, instead of 1 piece of that in the lower position and a piece of compressed felt just above it - both covered with the felt). As it is today, the radius is kinda choppy - would the original felt under the leather have been layed out like this?

Unfortunately, I don't think this client is going to want to wait for WNG parts, but I also don't think they are going to like the expense of this work!
www.RochesterPianoService.com

#2030704 - 02/10/13 05:55 PM Re: action parts for full sized Kimball upright? [Re: Fred Hamaker]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Is this a Kimball action with the brass rail dampers? If it is, I would spec out rebuilding it with standard parts. That will require reshaping the action rail to accommodate the parts. I would not expect that the client would go for it.

If you feel you are not up to doing that, I suggest you turn down the job, explaining your reasons.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
130 registered (accordeur, 42 invisible), 1445 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74217 Members
42 Forums
153533 Topics
2249978 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Went to the store and tried out lots of DPs
by lang15
04/17/14 09:18 PM
"Love More" Chris Brown and Nicki Minaj - Piano Cover
by Zach Evans
04/17/14 08:41 PM
Sheet music for Philip Glass's etudes?
by Eldridge
04/17/14 07:57 PM
Charles Walters piano
by Colleen05
04/17/14 07:05 PM
Why 88 keys?
by gsmonks
04/17/14 03:01 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission