Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2030415 - 02/10/13 11:39 AM The best digital piano that I can afford
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Hi I own a grand but would like to get a nice digital so that I can play late at night. My hubby says he wants to sleep at 10:00. I'm a night owl who is up until 1:00 during weekdays. I heard that there are nice digitals with weighted keys that's similar to acoustic piano. My budget is between $1,000 and $3,000 including everything (stand, headset etc). Really appreciate your input in this. Thank you.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2030417 - 02/10/13 11:43 AM Re: The best digital piano that I can afford [Re: FarmGirl]
UK Paul UK Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
I had a kawai ca95, very nice and if your using headphones then no need for a soundboard... ca65 in basically the same minus the soundboard... be at the topof your budget i think :-)

#2030433 - 02/10/13 11:56 AM Re: The best digital piano that I can afford [Re: FarmGirl]

UK Paul thank you for your input. I did not even know Kawai makes digitals.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2030435 - 02/10/13 12:00 PM Re: The best digital piano that I can afford [Re: FarmGirl]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Farm Girl, to be sure you'll get what best suits you, you really need to try a few of these out yourself -- the opinions of others can't pick a digital for you any more than they could pick your acoustic for you. There are real differences, model to model, both in sound and action.

In that price range, nothing will duplicate your grand, but you can find a lot of digitals that pretty decent -- Casio PX150 and P350 at the cheap end, to various Yamahas, Rolands, and Kawais for somewhat more. (There are other great digitals too that are more aimed at the rock/pop market that might not work as well for you.)

The point is that they're all as different as are various acoustics within a given price range, and what suits someone else might not suit you.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2030440 - 02/10/13 12:04 PM Re: The best digital piano that I can afford [Re: FarmGirl]

ClsscLib, that makes sense. I will visit a local music store and try them out. I don't think acoustic piano stores carry digital but I will see. Thank you.

#2030450 - 02/10/13 12:14 PM Re: The best digital piano that I can afford [Re: FarmGirl]
jawhitti Offline

To get the most for your money abandon the idea of getting a pretty wood cabinet piano. Those things are generally over-priced rip-offs. Look instead to "slab" style stage pianos like the Roland RD series or the Nord Piano 2. You can save even more money if you are willing to look at used gear - a used Roland RD-500 like mine would be perfectly adequate for you and only run $500 or so.

There is a digital pianos forum you might check out for discussion *ad nauseum*. If you live near a Guitar Center I'd recommend going there to play what they've got to get an idea of the market (They probably won't have Nord; those are harder to find).

If you want a practice piano and not a fully-featured synth I'd start with the Roland RD700NX as the action is consistently praised as one of the best in the industry. It can sound pretty nice too. There's a youtube poster vkgoeswild who posts tons of videos she records with it. Here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRhjKmS6k4c

#2030460 - 02/10/13 12:30 PM Re: The best digital piano that I can afford [Re: jawhitti]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Originally Posted By: jawhitti
To get the most for your money abandon the idea of getting a pretty wood cabinet piano. Those things are generally over-priced rip-offs. Look instead to "slab" style stage pianos like the Roland RD series or the Nord Piano 2. You can save even more money if you are willing to look at used gear - a used Roland RD-500 like mine would be perfectly adequate for you and only run $500 or so.

There is a digital pianos forum you might check out for discussion *ad nauseum*. If you live near a Guitar Center I'd recommend going there to play what they've got to get an idea of the market (They probably won't have Nord; those are harder to find).

If you want a practice piano and not a fully-featured synth I'd start with the Roland RD700NX as the action is consistently praised as one of the best in the industry. It can sound pretty nice too. There's a youtube poster vkgoeswild who posts tons of videos she records with it. Here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRhjKmS6k4c

I agree with all that -- in fact, I bought a Roland RD700NX for exactly the same reasons Farm Girl is now seeking a digital -- acoustics are great, but at some hours of the day, unreasonable people in my household don't want me playing mine! smile

The RD700NX is towards the top of your price range, but it's very good for a digital, and there are deals to be had if you know how to shop for this or any other digital. (PM me if you'd like a few hints.)

Since you know you're going to want to practice on headphones, I'd suggest you buy a decent set of headphones now (don't skimp on that part of the equation!) and take them with you to Guitar Center (or wherever you go to comparison-shop). This will both give you a sense of how each piano will sound to you and also provide you some sound insulation from the headbanger music that others will be playing on various instruments in those shops.

There are a lot of good headphone options, but many PW digital players use these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-...iser+headphones

Good luck!

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2030570 - 02/10/13 02:47 PM Re: The best digital piano that I can afford [Re: FarmGirl]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
ClsscLib, that makes sense. I will visit a local music store and try them out. I don't think acoustic piano stores carry digital but I will see. Thank you.

They do - and I can tell you who carries what here in the Valley of the Sun.

I'm looking into the Kawai MP6 and CE-220 myself right now (among a few others).

#2030660 - 02/10/13 05:03 PM Re: The best digital piano that I can afford [Re: FarmGirl]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Don`t be afraid to try the less expensive ones. You may prefer `em like I do. . . . and if it`s mainly for practice, I would suggest looking at the keyboard playing characteristics. They`re not all the same!

Take your time. . . . and your most difficult piece of playable music! Good luck, let us know how ya get on lass!

""

#2030673 - 02/10/13 05:22 PM Re: The best digital piano that I can afford [Re: FarmGirl]
Rich Galassini Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
I have owned Korg, Roland, and Yamaha digitals of various models over the years. In recent years I have leaned towards Roland products.

To the comment that cabinet style digital pianos are all ripoffs, I respectfully disagree. Cabinet style digitals are more expensive yes, but they come with generally better "in body" amplification, grand piano pedals, the correct keyboard/bench relationship, and they look decent in a home where the client would never dream of placing a keyboard or slab model.

For a performing musician needing portability without wishing to spend extra for those other things, I say go for a slab!
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#2030689 - 02/10/13 05:42 PM Re: The best digital piano that I can afford [Re: Rich Galassini]
jawhitti Offline

Originally Posted By: Rich Galassini
. To the comment that cabinet style digital pianos are all ripoffs, I respectfully disagree. Cabinet style digitals...but come with generally better "in body" amplification

To each their own but I kinda gotta disagree here. I guess I should bare my prejudice and say that I don't really advise any digitals with built-in speakers. A good pair of studio monitors on stands so they are at about head level will sound much better - in my opinion. This will admittedly add something like $500 to the price but you have a lot of wiggle room, so if you only want to practice with headphones then you can skip them entirely. Even the Roland V-piano grand sounds rather odd - I think monitors on stands sound better.

I also thing the the wooden console pianos generally have inferior synth engines and samples.

But I will admit that this is all very subjective and others may disagree - violently.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
118 registered (ando, AndresD, AndrewJCW, 36251, angga888, Abby Pianoman, 32 invisible), 1563 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156222 Topics
2294324 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai Cp200 repair needed
by Walks
23 minutes 31 seconds ago
BALDWIN R vs. STEINWAY M
by Karl Watson
Today at 08:11 AM
Best Digital Piano for Touch
by JoeCPiano
Today at 04:50 AM
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
Yesterday at 10:56 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission