Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
94 registered (Beemer, Anita Potter, bennevis, anotherscott, Ben Boule, ando, 30 invisible), 1406 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2029753 - 02/09/13 09:03 AM Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth?
electone2007 Offline

Loc: Philippines
...Even if I always close the fallboard each time I'm done playing?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2029772 - 02/09/13 09:25 AM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: electone2007]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
The felt cloth is for those who do not cover their keyboard after playing. Unless there is a lot of dust some dealers recommend not covering the keys or closing the fallboard at all. I'm not sure of the pluses and minuses of keeping the fallboard open. I never close the fallbaord or cover the keyboard with felt.

#2029777 - 02/09/13 09:31 AM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: electone2007]
electone2007 Offline

Glad to know that it's not that important to use the felt cloth. I'm too lazy to put it on the keys.

#2029793 - 02/09/13 10:07 AM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: electone2007]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
The felt is actually intended to remove the moisture from the keys that your fingers leave on the keys and to help with having less dust accumulate under the keys. I always close it up when I'm done playing.

What's so difficult about putting it back? I own a Schimmel and I place mine on every single time and close the key cover too. It keeps my keys nice and white and shiny. smile
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#2029805 - 02/09/13 10:32 AM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: electone2007]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
What about ivory keys? Is there a benefit to covering them up after playing? I always leave my fallboard up and do not cover with felt.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2029811 - 02/09/13 10:44 AM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]

Originally Posted By: Jerry Groot RPT
The felt is actually intended to remove the moisture from the keys that your fingers leave on the keys and to help with having less dust accumulate under the keys. I always close it up when I'm done playing.
I would think that any moisture(I never really noticed any but I play in an airconditoned room during the summer) would evaporate very quickly?

#2029813 - 02/09/13 10:49 AM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: Morodiene]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Quote:
I always leave my fallboard up and do not cover with felt.

Hi Morodiene, your house must be a lot cleaner than mine. grin

My Jack Russell Terrorist is a heavy shedder and it's a constant battle with her hair. I close mine because of this and to keep the grandkids from playing without my permission/supervision.

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2029823 - 02/09/13 11:02 AM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: electone2007]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

If you close the lid, I can't see why adding the felt would give additional protection

#2029856 - 02/09/13 12:05 PM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: Morodiene]
Annitenth Offline

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
What about ivory keys? Is there a benefit to covering them up after playing? I always leave my fallboard up and do not cover with felt.

Seems like I've heard that ivories should not be covered, that the natural light in the room helps keep them from yellowing. Anyone know for sure?

#2029867 - 02/09/13 12:29 PM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: electone2007]
Roger Ransom Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SouthWest Michigan
I have not covered my keys in any way for the 47 years I have had my piano and they don't appear any the worse for it.

I occasionally wipe them down with a key cleaning fluid.

However, there is certainly no reason not to cover them if it makes you feel better (except ivory keys?)

I say do whatever you like.

Edited by Roger Ransom (02/09/13 12:29 PM)

#2029873 - 02/09/13 12:47 PM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: Roger Ransom]
KataiYubi Offline

I just disassembled my piano yesterday to try to correct a sticking key problem. I had never used a felt cloth in 41 years.

I could not believe how much dirt had accumulated under the keys, so I'd vote for the use of the felt cloth.

Cleaning it did not resolve my sticking key problem, though, but it probably helped a bit.

#2029925 - 02/09/13 02:32 PM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
electone2007 Offline

What's so difficult about putting it back?

It's for a very trivial reason actually. :-)

The piano brand is embossed on the felt cloth, and everytime I lay it on the keys I have to make sure it's right side up and oriented correctly. This obviously takes extra time and effort.

As I said, trivial.

#2029926 - 02/09/13 02:35 PM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: KataiYubi]
electone2007 Offline

Originally Posted By: KataiYubi
I just disassembled my piano yesterday to try to correct a sticking key problem. I had never used a felt cloth in 41 years.

I could not believe how much dirt had accumulated under the keys, so I'd vote for the use of the felt cloth.

Cleaning it did not resolve my sticking key problem, though, but it probably helped a bit.

Did you ever close the fallboard on your piano?

#2029930 - 02/09/13 02:39 PM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: electone2007]
nylawbiz Offline

Loc: Columbia County, New York

i think they used to put felt over ivory keys to protect them from sunlight.

#2029931 - 02/09/13 02:39 PM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: wouter79]
electone2007 Offline

Originally Posted By: wouter79
If you close the lid, I can't see why adding the felt would give additional protection

That's what I'm thinking too.

And with today's soft close fallboards, as soon as one is done playing, one can just flick the fallboard forward, get up and walk away. The fallboard will close on its own without slamming.

#2029945 - 02/09/13 03:33 PM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: electone2007]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Well, you did ask and I answered the reason for the felt. It does help to eliminate humidity and it does help to keep the dust from going under the keys.

Use it as a duster if you wish. smile
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#2029957 - 02/09/13 03:50 PM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City

Does the fiber of the felt make a difference--like whether it is wool felt or polyester?

Would any cloth accomplish the same thing?

#2029963 - 02/09/13 04:08 PM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: electone2007]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

That I can't answer. I don't know what's in it. All I know is what it was intended for. It does seem to work though, whatever it is. smile
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#2029992 - 02/09/13 05:15 PM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: electone2007]
adak Offline

Loc: Canada
why don't you just vacuum the keys once a month, that will suck up any dirt on, in between and beneath the keys.

#2029999 - 02/09/13 05:43 PM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: electone2007]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Vacuuming they keys won't suck the dirt that is underneath them. It's a lot further down there than you think it is.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#2030060 - 02/09/13 08:18 PM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: KataiYubi]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: KataiYubi
... I had never used a felt cloth in 41 years.
I could not believe how much dirt had accumulated under the keys, so I'd vote for the use of the felt cloth...
Has no technician in 41 years done more than tune the piano? Every few years (10 at very most!) a piano requires a more in-depth servicing, of which the first step is a thorough cleaning.

I would not bother with the key cover felt if you want - just have your piano serviced the way it deserves to be.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2030183 - 02/10/13 12:22 AM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
electone2007 Offline

Well, you did ask and I answered the reason for the felt. It does help to eliminate humidity and it does help to keep the dust from going under the keys.

Use it as a duster if you wish. smile

Good idea! I might do that. :-)

#2030336 - 02/10/13 08:54 AM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: electone2007]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I have also heard that one should not cover the ivory keys to prevent yellowing. They are not exposed to direct sunlight, but just natural indirect light. I do close the fallboard when I leave for an extended period of time.

Can anyone verify if this is in fact correct about keeping the keys exposed?
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2030339 - 02/10/13 08:59 AM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: electone2007]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I think that has more to do with lack of cleaning them than anything else Morodiene.

Finger dirt and grime gets on the keys especially from kids and, many not so clean adult fingers too and if not cleaned, the air cannot get at them and then they become yellowed and discolored. At least that's what I was told. Keeping the keys clean is more important than if the cover is left up or down. wink
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#2030363 - 02/10/13 09:48 AM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: electone2007]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Although my own piano is a digital, I still wouldn't let anyone loose on it unless they'd washed their hands first. When I was a child having piano lessons at my teacher's (my second teacher; the first one came to our home), she always inspected my hands before letting me near her piano....

I had plenty of experience of sticky keys playing on the little vertical that was my piano in my childhood, but that wasn't due to dirty fingers or dust accumulating between the keys (my parents saw to that, and I always had to replace the felt and close the fallboard after finishing practice). It was the poor build quality of the piano.

#2030480 - 02/10/13 01:01 PM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: electone2007]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
The felt strip with the cover closed helps to avoid sluggish and sticking keys. For 'Sticky' keys you might want to relocate the candy dish.

#2030495 - 02/10/13 01:14 PM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: electone2007]

I'm sure some would disagree with the first sentence but Faust Harrison Pianos has this recommendation on their website. Of course, I assume this doesn't apply if one has a particularly dusty environment.

"The fallboard should always be open to allow free circulation of air around the keys. Keys should be cleaned only with a soft cloth, dampened very slightly with water or club soda (or Windex if the keys are really dirty). Never put fluid directly on the keys."

#2030884 - 02/11/13 01:03 AM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: electone2007]
electone2007 Offline

I just ditched the felt cover, and I'm at peace now. :-)

#2030932 - 02/11/13 04:16 AM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: electone2007]
backto_study_piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
My first new piano, a Yamaha UX in 1979 was covered and lid down every time for the first 5 years - till the children started learning. We worked out that they would be far more likely to play if the keys were visible. The cover (with Yamaha advertising) was stored, and the lid was only put down on the day the piano was dusted - and re-opened. The piano was extensively used by 4 of us for 27 years when I upgraded to my first grand.

I laboriously covered and close that grand and my new grand daily. And the grandchildren are supervised (hands washed etc) when they play!!!!

But my old UX went to my daughter's place with 3 grandchildren. My daughter never saw the lid down or the cover, so it's still open. Unfortunately it's closer to her kitchen, so when I visit, I wipe the sticky etc off the keys.

#2031272 - 02/11/13 04:17 PM Re: Do I have to cover the keys with the felt cloth? [Re: electone2007]
Scout Online   content

Loc: USA
The thing is, a piano keyboard is incredibly beautiful and inviting. I can't bring myself to cover it up and then miss seeing it whenever I'm in the room or walking by. My tuner/tech has always cleaned absolutely everything during a tuning visit. I might start dusting the keys myself more often, say, once a week, but close the fallboard? Can't do.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
100 years old and music keeps her active
by Rich Galassini
Today at 07:45 AM
At 100 years old, she says music keeps her well
by Rich Galassini
Today at 07:36 AM
Chopin waltz in E minor (Op. Posth.) or Op.70/1
by Works1
Today at 06:22 AM
Antique Piano
by NeoNeo78
Today at 03:29 AM
Hammer felt repairs. Advice Please
by Beachdingo
Today at 02:12 AM
Forum Stats
77013 Members
42 Forums
159287 Topics
2339876 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission