Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2030485 - 02/10/13 01:07 PM I was so excited...used book store finds!
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Last night, I walked into my favorite Half-Price Books on Capitol Hill in Seattle and strolled over to the music section. Usually it is filled with beginner anthologies and pop music and I walk away disappointed. To my disbelief, I saw a 4 inch wide area of distinctive blue books. "No, can't be Henles!" It was. I immediately plopped down onto the floor and excitedly started going through them. I bought most of them, only leaving behind music I already had. This is what I got, all in new or almost new condition:

All for $7.99 each US
Beethoven Egmont transcription opus 84
Beethoven Piano Concerto #4
Mozart Piano concerto #23
Mozart Piano Concerto #21
Mozart Klavierstucke Aushwahl
Liszt Annees 3rd year
Liszt Vallee d’Obermann
Liszt Zwei Legenden
Book of mixed sonatas: CPE Bach, Clementi, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven
Brahms Variations Op 9, 21, 24 35. 18, 23
Bizet Jeux d’enfants 4 hands

And for $2.99 US
Mozart Adagio B minor K540
Mozart A minor rondo
Mozart Zwolf Variationen

My husband kept offering to carry the large stack of scores but I was so excited I refused to give them up and just held them tighter to my chest. When we got to the car I whooped! I figured you guys would understand my glee!

Deborah

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2030487 - 02/10/13 01:08 PM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: gooddog]
chopin_r_us Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Sweet! smile

#2030490 - 02/10/13 01:10 PM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: gooddog]
DameMyra Online   happy
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
Wow!

#2030494 - 02/10/13 01:13 PM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: gooddog]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Yikes! Excellent!

We don't actually have many used books stores here, and those we do stock some awfully old, bad-treated and non music books... frown so...

Excellent!

#2030506 - 02/10/13 01:28 PM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: gooddog]
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
What a wonderful find! I chuckled out loud, reading this, almost as though I had found the trove myself!

Regards,

#2030530 - 02/10/13 01:52 PM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: gooddog]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

That's a nice haul, Deborah. And a great story too!

#2030534 - 02/10/13 01:56 PM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: gooddog]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
thumb

#2030576 - 02/10/13 03:00 PM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: gooddog]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
Awesome! laugh We don't have many used bookstores in my area.

#2030647 - 02/10/13 04:47 PM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: gooddog]
cefinow Offline

Loc: Western NC (US)
Originally Posted By: gooddog

My husband kept offering to carry the large stack of scores but I was so excited I refused to give them up and just held them tighter to my chest. When we got to the car I whooped! I figured you guys would understand my glee!

Yahoo! Definitely a walking-on-sunshine moment!

#2030650 - 02/10/13 04:54 PM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: gooddog]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Oh I do understand. laugh
I buy music from 2nd-hand book shops, garage sales, and the regular book/music/CD sales run by one of the classical music radio stations in Sydney. These radio station sales are brilliant, with some really good quality stuff. Sometimes there's nothing there I want, but at other times I have those "I can't believe this is here - my life is complete" moments.

#2030670 - 02/10/13 05:18 PM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: gooddog]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I couldn't help wondering who would sell such a treasure trove to a used bookstore. The cashier said they often get libraries from people who have died. It got me thinking about the destiny of my own music. I'm very sentimental about my scores, especially the ones I have worked hard on. If I don't have a grandchild who plays piano to leave it to, I might ask that it go to a used bookstore where it might give someone else as much as delight as it gave me...or maybe I'll ask to be cremated with some of my favorites.

Deborah

#2030744 - 02/10/13 07:16 PM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: gooddog]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
I've gotten some of my best deals on ebay. Not new individual books but used lots, usually someone clearing away after a deceased relative or a student getting rid of duplicates. Bookfinder also sometimes has good deals on Henles, etc.

I spent two hours ransacking my house yesterday morning trying to find my Paderewski edition of Chopin's Preludes. I never did find that one but did find a battered ebay Henle copy that I don't ever remember buying. It's nice to have your own little music hoard.

#2030763 - 02/10/13 07:41 PM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: gooddog]
BruceD Online   content

Loc: Victoria, BC
I couldn't help wondering who would sell such a treasure trove to a used bookstore. The cashier said they often get libraries from people who have died. It got me thinking about the destiny of my own music. I'm very sentimental about my scores, especially the ones I have worked hard on. If I don't have a grandchild who plays piano to leave it to, I might ask that it go to a used bookstore where it might give someone else as much as delight as it gave me...or maybe I'll ask to be cremated with some of my favorites.

I'm planning to bequeath some of my more important scores to members of the local conservatory [1], with the proviso that they may dispose of them as they wish if they do not want/need them.

[1] I'm thinking, for example, that the voice department (whose members I particularly admire) could always welcome scores of the complete operas of Verdi and Puccini, along with numerous scores of operas of Bellini, Mozart, Donizetti and others.

Regards,

#2030935 - 02/11/13 04:32 AM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: BruceD]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: BruceD

I'm planning to bequeath some of my more important scores to members of the local conservatory [1], with the proviso that they may dispose of them as they wish if they do not want/need them.

[1] I'm thinking, for example, that the voice department (whose members I particularly admire) could always welcome scores of the complete operas of Verdi and Puccini, along with numerous scores of operas of Bellini, Mozart, Donizetti and others.

Regards,

Morbid though the subject may be, it is one I've given thought to as well, since my score library is quite large and very close to my heart. Some scores are tagged for specific friends, but the bulk will be divided between a few "organisations" of my choosing.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2030936 - 02/11/13 04:36 AM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: stores]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: stores
Originally Posted By: BruceD

Regards,

Morbid though the subject may be, it is one I've given thought to as well, since my score library is quite large and very close to my heart. Some scores are tagged for specific friends, but the bulk will be divided between a few "organisations" of my choosing.
I think I'm younger than most of you in this thread, so the thought has never occurred to me until now...

But I have gotten some REALLY old scores from various friends, since they know my love for music, for scores, and for notation (as a composer). In addition to everyone else, though, there's one bit of myself that needs further thinking: my manuscripts! I still compose the old fashioned yat, with pencil and manuscript, so there's a lot of drafts, papers, scores, manuscript pages, etc lying around... In fact almost too many, some dated to 20 years ago perhaps.

I can't help but wonder if I should do something to preserve these. I mean I'm no Beethoven, but IF Beethoven did think about this then we could have a treasure trove of his stuff now... And we don't... frown

#2030997 - 02/11/13 09:05 AM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: -Frycek]
chopin_r_us Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: -Frycek
I've gotten some of my best deals on ebay.
I check out the pianos on a daily basis. What fun. I'm on my second now and about to buy a third (Bechstein) next week. It's a habit I gotta stop though!

#2031520 - 02/11/13 10:57 PM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: stores]
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: stores

Both my voice teacher and piano teacher have their scores marked with the student's name who is to receive the book after their death. It's a bit creepy when I flip over a book at my lesson and my name is on the back..

#2032569 - 02/13/13 04:34 PM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: gooddog]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Wow!

Music is my best friend.

#2032780 - 02/13/13 11:29 PM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: gooddog]
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
Great haul!

I have a ton of 20th century scores, many probably out of print or hard to find, as well as composers manuscripts. Right now I'm thinking of donating them to my alma mater, if they'll have them.

And the piano! That's a hard one. Maybe it would pay my funeral expenses, at least...

www.josephkubera.com

#2032824 - 02/14/13 01:19 AM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: gooddog]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Last night, I walked into my favorite Half-Price Books on Capitol Hill in Seattle and strolled over to the music section.

Of course I know exactly where that store is, since it is not far from where I live.

Great catch Deborah, I am so happy for you!

#2032996 - 02/14/13 11:44 AM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: gooddog]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
I think that when people give away one single book it is because they are going to buy a better edition. When you find a whole stack of good books (this has happened to me too) it is either because someone has died and their family are not interested in music or someone has given up playing.
At any rate those discoveries are precious. They really make your day. I feel like visiting some second-hand shops soon. smile

Music is my best friend.

#2033001 - 02/14/13 11:52 AM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: gooddog]
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
Does anyone know of second-hand shops in NYC where one might find good copies of music? The Strand comes to mind, but I've never thought of looking for music there.

www.josephkubera.com

#2033062 - 02/14/13 02:01 PM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: gooddog]
Vid Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Nice haul! I think I should start perusing some of the stores around here.

#2033103 - 02/14/13 03:32 PM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: gooddog]
Brad Hoehne Offline

Loc: Ohio
I just had a similar experience at a "vintage" store recently. I saw a stack of sheet music with a sign on it marked "$25." I asked about it and learned that it was $25 for the whole stack, which turned out to quite a bit larger than I had initially thought. I scooped up the whole 15" or so pile (two almost handles ripping shopping bags full) and sorted out my haul when I got home.

All told it was about half Schirmer editions, including the first two books of the "Brahms Complete Works for piano", a complete cycle of Beethoven Symphony transcriptions, a Mendelssohn and a Liszt collection.

I also got a set of 35 Scarlatti sonatas. About 8 Peters editions of Mozart Piano concertos (6, 12, 16, 17, 20, 21,23, and 24). Cortot's "Rational Principles of Piano Technique" and both books of his Chopin Etudes. Two Haydn Concertos, two sets of Piano four hands works by Mozart and Brahms. A set of Bach Chorales. A book of Tcherpnin works. Prokofiev "Visions Fugitives" More that I can't remember right now.

Despite about half of this being redundant in my collection, I think I made out pretty well.

Edited by Brad Hoehne (02/14/13 03:46 PM)

Currently working on:
Rach. Prelude Op 32 #12
Mozart Piano Sonata #17, K570
Villa-Lobos, Bachianas Brasileiras #4
Playing by ear and "filling out" pop tunes

#2033112 - 02/14/13 03:55 PM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: argerichfan]
quodlibet Online   content

Loc: Seattle, WA
Newsflash for the Seattleites...I just (as in seconds ago) read that the Capitol Hill Half Price will be closing this June. I'd provide the link, but I read it on The Stranger's blog and, well, I couldn't get the link to hide some of the other things that appear on there.

The only music I've ever found there have been Schirmers. Maybe I'll check out the selection before they close. frown

#2033127 - 02/14/13 04:11 PM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: Brad Hoehne]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Brad Hoehne
I just had a similar experience at a "vintage" store recently...Despite about half of this being redundant in my collection, I think I made out pretty well.
Wow! It's a great feeling isn't it? I actually like having several different editions of pieces I am working. There is so much editing, it's interesting to compare.

At quodlibet: oh no! First, our favorite Greek Restaurant in Fremont has closed (Costa's Opa)now this.

Deborah

#2033184 - 02/14/13 05:22 PM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: gooddog]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
For those who live in NYC I highly recommend the St. Agnes library on around 81st and Amsterdam for used books about music(not scores). Many are in virtually perfect condition and most cost $2 with a maximum being around $5. They usually have a selection of around at least 500. The book sales are every two weeks.

#2033395 - 02/14/13 10:05 PM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: gooddog]
gmf001 Offline

Loc: Uxbridge, ON, Canada
great score!! Reminds me of an antique store find about 20 years ago. Henle editions of the Mozart Sonatas, Beethoven Violin Sonatas, Chopin, Bach, misc editions of Scarlatti,... Most were brand new stock from a defunct Ottawa music store. I always dream about finding another treasure load.

Good discussion about what happens to our libraries when we're no longer here. Hopefully some will go to my descendants, but I expect that some will end up going to local scholarship funds or teachers to distribute to deserving students. It's the best thing I can think of that will help others.

#2033845 - 02/15/13 05:10 PM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: gooddog]
slipperykeys Offline

Loc: Dorset, England
I suppose all that music is in the public domain and free to download from the internet, but somehow there's nothing quite like having the sheet music to learn from.

Am I the only person in the world who is completely incapable of learning a score from a screen?

This week I have printed off, "O Mio Babbino Caro", as I just cannot remember it from a screen, though God knows, it is short enough, and am doing much better with the printed copy.

I don't care what happens to it all when I die, except my hard won collection of The Beach Boys sheet music compiled over four decades and more, (yes, a little down-market I know, but I love virtually everything you can play on a piano, even disco!) including "Pet Sounds", "The Beach Boys Love You", and "Fifteen Big Ones".

I'm taking that lot with me!

Congratulaions on the music you found, a superb bargain, I take it you'll be deserting us for a long time now?

#2033848 - 02/15/13 05:19 PM Re: I was so excited...used book store finds! [Re: slipperykeys]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: slipperykeys
I suppose all that music is in the public domain and free to download from the internet, but somehow there's nothing quite like having the sheet music to learn from.

I much prefer to own my own bound scores. The quality of the printing, binding, thick pages and minimal editing of Henle can't be beat. I download scores from the internet only for comparision or if I'm waiting for my music order to arrive in the mail.

Quote:
Am I the only person in the world who is completely incapable of learning a score from a screen?
You are not alone!
Quote:
Congratulaions on the music you found, a superb bargain, I take it you'll be deserting us for a long time now?

Ha! Ha! Probably not. I perused the new stuff but I'm sticking with my current repertoire challenges for now!

Deborah

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recording the results of Pianoteq
by Roger Ransom
53 minutes 41 seconds ago
Coolest Back Action I have Seen
by Steve Jackson
Today at 11:55 AM
Steinway piano with two offset keyboards
by guyl
Today at 10:36 AM
Black and white dampers
by iLaw
Today at 09:55 AM
AUGUST FORSTER
by Karl Watson
Today at 09:05 AM
Who's Online
155 registered (alfredo capurso, Alexander Borro, anamnesis, 45 invisible), 1609 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76640 Members
42 Forums
158471 Topics
2327243 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission