2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (Barly, 1957, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,906 guests, and 350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by keystring

Since I did not say anything about his teacher's approach,

Well then all the better!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Tidal, landorrano, I apologize if I offended; my post was not meant to be a discouragement nor a criticism.

I do admit that I wonder how one can talk in absolutes (students always pass exams) when working with something as non-absolute as an individual's learning style. I understand how some folks might need the deadline of an exam or recital for the motivation to practice, some people thrive on taking tests to demonstrate their skills. I am not one of those; the mere mention of an exam or recital gives me hives. wink

I measure my learning, slow as it is, in small bits. Such as at tomorrow's lesson I'll be able to show (if I don't choke - that happens at lessons!) I've finally nailed the fingering on the three tricky measures of the Fats Waller piece that I've been working on for a month, now I can go tackle the next couple of troublesome bars there and that I actually managed to memorize the first movement of a Clementi sonatina we've been working on. I'm afraid I'm about as far from a musical prodigy as you can get and try to make up for lack of natural talent with a lot of practice - sometimes I think my teacher suspects I may not practice as much as I say I do, but he's kind enough not to say so!

But if you are basing your entire worth as a piano player/student/teacher on the outcome of an exam, or to structure lessons for nearly a year around an single exam, that doesn't seem like much fun. If you have those pieces polished perfect at the end of the year, great! I wish you the best of luck with the exam.

I have a close relative who has played all her life, she's nearly 80 now. She has a repetoire of about 15-20 pieces memorized. She is awe-inspiring when she plays; note perfect, expressive, simply beautiful. But she has nothing beyond these memorized songs, she has not learned anything new in 40 years, is a terrible sight reader, and has no theory. So, based on hearing her play her 30 minutes or so of memorized stuff, you'd assume she's a terrific pianist. But, is she really? I feel a broader spectrum of instruction makes for a better result, but again, that is my opinion and you need to approach your studies in the manner that works best for you.

Collector of sheet music I can't play.

Chickering & Sons Quarter Grand (rebuilt 2021)
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
No offense taken, JeanieA. Still, in my opinion there is nothing in Tidal's two posts that allows one to think that either the teacher or Tidal are basing their entire worth on an exam, or to evaluate the teacher's approach.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by landorrano
Still, in my opinion there is nothing in Tidal's two posts that allows one to think that either the teacher or Tidal are basing their entire worth on an exam, or to evaluate the teacher's approach.

Good. Since nobody said such a thing. I'm glad you agree. smile

Last edited by keystring; 02/10/13 07:53 PM.
T
Tidal Offline OP
OP Offline
T
My progress updated:

I have completed playing the first piece and my teacher appraised me that it is fine. Now I'm working of the second piece, which requires more technical skills. I have also found out that my scale ability is still flaw that there is still an unevenness. I'm trying now practising it in a slow tempo, trying not to embold thumbs. It is very hard to control. And at the slow speed I also find out that my fourth and fifth fingers generate some sort of irregular rhythm that I don't know how to correct them. Overall I realize that I am far from perfection, which I am keen to get near. The more I practice, the more flaw I see.

Should I give up and just try to take the lower grade such as three or four? Also, should I change my piano teacher?

I have a dream and a list of pieces that I want to play in my lifetime. One of them is Schubert Impromptu Op.90-3. I could play it now but it will be rubbish. So I have to hold my breath, wait and practice. Maybe 10-20 years, I don't know. I'm 22 years old now and there isn't much time for practice due to my profession. I am very angry with myself why the heck in the past I gave up piano. Why don't I play it a lot and choose a pianist as a profession. I don't know.

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Tidal
I have also found out that my scale ability is still flaw that there is still an unevenness. I'm trying now practising it in a slow tempo, trying not to embold thumbs. It is very hard to control.

It will get easier with practice, but only if you work at a very slow tempo like you're trying (if you can't succeed, go slower).

I recommend this strategy:

Originally Posted by Ernest Dras ("Slow practice will get you there faster")
: The elder Mozart would place ten dried peas in his son’s left coat pocket, and for each successful attempt at a difficult passage, Mozart would move a single pea to his right pocket. When he failed on any piece, even if it was the tenth repetition, all the peas had to be placed back in his left pocket — Wolfgang had to begin anew. What usually happens when using this method is that the student slows down his tempo in order to play the passage perfectly.

T
Tidal Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks, Bobpickle. Maybe I should find a teacher who use this peanut methods. Very interesting!

Now I'm doing scales at 72bpm. I would like to capture a video of me doing the scales (and possibly the piece), upload at youtube and post a link here, but I'm not sure that it is appropriate or not. I am keen to listen a criticism and recommandation. Finally I know that the atypical way I choose (skip basic conventional books, pieces and initial grade examinations) would ruin my overall skills, but I don't know what they are and where to begin to fix them. This make me feel that my teacher truely overestimate me a lot, and I would like to have someone to get me fixed.

Any idea?

B

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
B
You should talk to your teacher about your concerns. Tell them that you want to learn the skills necessary to be a well-rounded musician, and that passing grades or tests, is of secondary concern (you seem to have little desire for the examinations and this is fine, but make it clear to your teacher; we don't play for the reason of examinations, do we?).

Oh, and posting youtube videos of your playing seeking helpful criticism is in no way frowned upon here.

Last edited by Bobpickle; 03/31/13 04:33 AM.
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Tidal
My progress updated:
It is very hard to control. And at the slow speed I also find out that my fourth and fifth fingers generate some sort of irregular rhythm that I don't know how to correct them.

Is it safe to say this error is more pronounced on the way 'up' than on the way 'down'?

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
I find it interesting that many posters seem to think working toward an exam is at odds with becoming a well-rounded musician. Exams are specifically designed to test a wide range of skills. In addition to testing your performance skills, technique, sight reading, theory knowledge, and aural ability are usually assessed. Normally the repertoire must include selections from a few different lists to ensure variety.

I think one would be unlikely to exercise such a wide variety of skills in their piano study if not working toward a specific goal. Granted, one might play fewer pieces while preparing for an exam, and other skills like improvisation or composition may be neglected, but I think the time invested in ensuring one's foundational skills are up to a certain level will be beneficial in the long run.

I haven't taken any exams yet, but I am thinking about starting this fall to prepare for an exam next spring. I don't think it's something I will want to do every year, but I think it will bump up a few of my skills. If nothing else, a successful result would definitely be a confidence booster. Maybe then, when asked about my piano playing, instead of responding "I try" or "I'm just a beginner" I'll be able to confidently answer, "Yes -- I just passed my Grade N exam!"

T
Tidal Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Yes, I have to agree with you. That is my concept of taking an exam rightnow, in addition to a good quality of exam pieces.

I have the problem in a descending scale, especially on the left hand side.

T
Tidal Offline OP
OP Offline
T
The result was submitted to me few days ago.
I just passed the sixth grade of Trinity with Merit.
This is beyond my expectation because I was very nervous at the time and made so many mistakes. By the way I am very relieved.

A

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015
A
Congratz! thumb

[Linked Image]
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Congratulations! Glad to hear they have the judgment to award merit in spite of mistakes.

1989 Baldwin R

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations! Great work! Clearly you are your own worst critic wink

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Congrats and "Thank you teacher of Tidal ;)"

T
Tidal Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thank you everyone. This is my first examination. I would take it as a first step of my piano journey. My dream is to be a fair amateur pianist. Possible or not, I will carry on. I am at mid-twenty now, my hands and arms are ergonomically poor and my profession does not allow much time and relaxation due to severe workload and mental stress.

M
M
The Twinkle variations (Ah vous je dirais) aren't really that bad, except for the last variation. However, even with your practice time, I think you can be smart about it.

Practice the most difficult parts ONLY. Do not waste time playing the things you can already play. Get the hard parts up to the same level of ease as the easy parts. Play through the entire piece once every couple of days until it's all worked out. Then work with a metronome to gradually increase the tempo to where you need it (playing straight through the pieces now).

Also, you may want to try getting up earlier in the morning or staying up a little bit later - even an extra 15 minutes can make a difference here.

When at your lessons, ask your teacher for help in specifics on how to work out the issues you are having. For example, your LH being too loud, what can you do to make that softer? I have some suggestions, but it's much better if you go to your teacher for this.

I think this is a great opportunity for you. It's not a competition where there's a winner or loser, right? It's more just a personal goal to help jump start things a bit. I'm guessing your teacher sees a lot of potential in you, but it's unrealized because you're not as serious as you could be, and this is one way of getting you there. When you really stretch yourself, you can make great strides.

On a side note, not being able to play a scale doesn't necessarily mean you aren't good enough to play. You just probably haven't practiced scales enough to be good at them. It is worthwhile, however to be able to do and will help your Mozart pieces as there are scales all over the place. Use a scale as a warm-up and play through them hands separately at least once every day. If you mess up, start over and go slower until you can play it - no matter how slow. Then when separate is easy (however many weeks that takes), put hands together. You'll get there.

edited to add: well, this is embarrassing. I didn't realize this was an old thread. I'll leave the above up for some other poor soul in a similar situation though. Congrats on your results smile

Last edited by Morodiene; 11/23/13 09:04 AM.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
T
Tidal Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Morodiene, you're very generous to give me the comment.
Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission